U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 11:35 PM

6 posts, read 5,248 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

Recently, my girlfriend and myself have decided that we are going to transplant ourselves in a new community in the near future. We have so many places that we are considering, but I wanted to attempt to go to the masses and see if the "bloggersphere" has any opinions that may be helpful. We live in Houston, TX right and I love the job market, but there are a lot of things here that we are just over. Our search does not entail any exotic demands that are majorly different from most people in this country so I'm definitely sure there is a city out there that fits our criteria. Which reads as follows:

- decent job market, not worried about being able to get jobs but it would be nice to have more to choose from
- warmer climate, as close to that of Houston as possible
- bearable crime rate
- LOW cost of living, this is important to us right now! Mainly the apartment rental cost aspect
- growing city, nothing huge but no "Podunk" towns, been there done that
- a city with a decent amount of amenities
- racially diverse and open-minded, I know it's not as prevalent anymore, but I can't stand ignorance

I know I'm looking for close to a utopia, but we feel like it is not too much to ask for in a place to start our new life. We've looked at cities in NC, FL, AZ, VA, SC, and have liked them in that order so far. I, myself, like the idea of Florida, but I can't find a city that meets ALL the criteria and the trade-offs are usually between cost of living and crime rate, and that sucks. Any help would be appreciated, and, if our sights are set too high in your eyes, please feel free to tell me.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 11:42 PM

3,455 posts, read 7,306,202 times
you WANT a climate like Houston?

I mean you really want it to be that hot and humid? That definitely limits your choices to the southeast.

I'd look at Atlanta. Jacksonville. Tampa.

I don't have specifics really on those cities. But weather wise and size wise they work. Atlanta seems to encompass all of your wants and needs.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:45 PM

As far as climate goes, we really just want somewhere that has mild winters at best. We both came from up North and are not wanting to go back to anywhere close to that weather

Old 03-30-2014, 11:53 PM

3,455 posts, read 7,306,202 times
I see. I don't know the SE that well, but maybe another city in TX like Austin or San Antonio? Corpus Christi?

What about the Southwest? Phoenix?

Old 03-31-2014, 12:00 AM

14,151 posts, read 19,782,157 times
Raleigh-Durham, Atlanta, Tucson

Old 03-31-2014, 01:06 PM

You know, I was really contemplating Pheonix and still am, AZ is a clean and good state or so I've heard. Thank you. Even though it's only two post, I feel like some of my thoughts have been validated

Old 03-31-2014, 01:08 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,123,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_will21 View Post
Hello All,

Recently, my girlfriend and myself have decided that we are going to transplant ourselves in a new community in the near future. We have so many places that we are considering, but I wanted to attempt to go to the masses and see if the "bloggersphere" has any opinions that may be helpful. We live in Houston, TX right and I love the job market, but there are a lot of things here that we are just over. Our search does not entail any exotic demands that are majorly different from most people in this country so I'm definitely sure there is a city out there that fits our criteria. Which reads as follows:

- decent job market, not worried about being able to get jobs but it would be nice to have more to choose from
- warmer climate, as close to that of Houston as possible
- bearable crime rate
- LOW cost of living, this is important to us right now! Mainly the apartment rental cost aspect
- growing city, nothing huge but no "Podunk" towns, been there done that
- a city with a decent amount of amenities
- racially diverse and open-minded, I know it's not as prevalent anymore, but I can't stand ignorance

I know I'm looking for close to a utopia, but we feel like it is not too much to ask for in a place to start our new life. We've looked at cities in NC, FL, AZ, VA, SC, and have liked them in that order so far. I, myself, like the idea of Florida, but I can't find a city that meets ALL the criteria and the trade-offs are usually between cost of living and crime rate, and that sucks. Any help would be appreciated, and, if our sights are set too high in your eyes, please feel free to tell me.

Thank you
Such as?

Old 03-31-2014, 01:32 PM

360 posts, read 684,404 times
While I personally don't care for Houston, as far as work, you are going to be hard-pressed to find a similar city with the number of jobs and resources available. Most of the cities in the Sun Belt pay vastly lower than Houston or they have few, if any, jobs at all.

My advice would be Austin or San Antonio as they are both sizable urban areas and their employment rates are relatively high. Any further east or west (until you get to LA) the wages are going to drop and so are the number of open positions.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:58 PM

Metomatt? Which part of the message are you referring too?

Old 03-31-2014, 04:07 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,123,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_will21 View Post
Metomatt? Which part of the message are you referring too?
You never stated what you dislike about Houston, just what you would like in another city. Houston has everything you wanted in a city so why leave a good thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or