Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Select the statement that best describes your perspective
I have lived in both the Northeast and Florida and prefer the Northeast 9 15.25%
I have lived in both the Northeast and Florida and prefer Florida 12 20.34%
I have not lived in both, but would prefer to live in the Northeast 28 47.46%
I have not lived in both, but would prefer to live in Florida 10 16.95%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 10:08 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times

Advertisements

I'll take Florida.

Warmer, lower cost of living, not as old, not as compact, people are more chill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 10:10 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
FL is great, IF you have the means to spend a lot of time in the pool, at the beach, or enjoy spending most of your time indoors. I loved it when I was young and every moment not spent at work was spent near the water.
If you spend any amount of time outdoors and you don't really like sweating in the heat and humidity, it's not so great, at least not for a good portion of the year.

Too hot can be as bad as too cold. Something as simple as getting from point A to point B can be no fun when it's too hot for walking, biking, public transportation, and even getting into a car that has been sitting in the sun can be extremely uncomfortable. When a walk across the parking lot at work or at the grocery store makes you feel like you need a shower. When it's hot and muggy from the time you get up until the time you go to bed, day after day after day, and an afternoon rain shower makes things worse instead of better.
I agree with your feelings. I love being outside. I'm a runner and I love to walk as well. I feel like being active and doing the things I love to do would just be nightmarish in FL. On the flipside it's been too cold to run here BUT this winter has been unusual. Most winters here I can bundle up a bit and get outside for a run and it's not bad.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Why are people voting that they would rather move to the northeast than FL? What the hell??? I don't get it! The northeast is cold!
The NE isn't usually this bad. We've had a very abnormally cold winter.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:12 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
But these poll results show that most people who have lived in both places clearly prefer Florida. What does that tell you?

Last edited by nep321; 04-05-2014 at 10:37 AM..

Old 04-05-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
But these poll results show that most people who have lived in both places clearly prefer Florida.
Most people aren't that smart

Old 04-05-2014, 10:35 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
So... out of the people not having lived in both places, what are they basing their response on?
I chose the third option because I have lived in MI and know that weather wise I prefer 3-4 months of cold over 6-8 months of heat.
OTOH maybe people that have lived in the northeast prefer FL because of things I didn't really experience in the midwest, high COL, density, traffic, etc.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:17 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,657,106 times
Quote:
OTOH maybe people that have live in the northeast prefer FL because of things I didn't really experience in the midwest, high COL, density, traffic, etc.
To be quite honest, I think that's where the disconnect is occurring.

Also, people in the Northeast tend to be slightly more warm weather-inclined than people in the Midwest, IMO, especially in the coastal areas--Cape Cod/SE Mass, RI, LI, NJ, & DE.

Old 04-05-2014, 11:39 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Why are people voting that they would rather move to the northeast than FL? What the hell??? I don't get it! The northeast is cold!
I would go back to the Northeast before ever moving to Florida. It just doesn't have any appeal to me beyond a nice place for vacation and visit my older relatives. My father just retired I think he's going to snowbird there and do summers in Mass. I'm happy for him.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:33 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
So... out of the people not having lived in both places, what are they basing their response on?
I chose the third option because I have lived in MI and know that weather wise I prefer 3-4 months of cold over 6-8 months of heat.
OTOH maybe people that have lived in the northeast prefer FL because of things I didn't really experience in the midwest, high COL, density, traffic, etc.
Maybe folks from the Northeast know something we don't know.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:37 PM

776 posts, read 1,673,012 times
Quote:
I've wondered if I would fit into FL in general. I have a masters degree, enjoy reading, keeping up with the news, and love in-depth intellectual conversations. I never cared for beaches, partying, clubs or anything like that (i'm an introvert). I recently read in some thread somewhere that someone said that FL is better suited for the extroverted party type, whereas a place like New England is better suited for the introverted analytical type (myself).

The weather seems to be amazing though. I'm beginning to wonder if four seasons are overrated.
I think hot humid weather most of the year is the most overrated of all.. I find this climate far from amazing after several decades. Though I can understand folks living their entire life in the northeast seeking more warmth and a change..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.