U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2014, 08:32 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,635,451 times

Advertisements

Hi all, my family is taking a vacation to visit my sisters wife and husband in Montreal, Canada in August. We are leaving from Lawrence, ks. On the way there we would like to visit Washington DC, NYC, and Niagara Falls. My wife's parents are going with us, they are from China and would like to visit some major sites. We have to get back to our business so we are hoping to make the trip 10 days, and can add a couple days possibly. The parents will be staying in Canada after we leave, so just 2 of us driving straight back, with no over night stops. If that is too much we can skip NYC.

So far our destinations include:
Niagara Falls
Times Square
National Space Museum
Capitol building
Various monuments and memorials

I was also wondering are there any aircraft carrier or battleship museums in that area, I went to one in Texas years ago and I was amazed, and I'd like them to get to experience that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 08:37 PM

9,422 posts, read 18,313,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Hi all, my family is taking a vacation to visit my sisters wife and husband in Montreal, Canada in August. We are leaving from Lawrence, ks. On the way there we would like to visit Washington DC, NYC, and Niagara Falls. My wife's parents are going with us, they are from China and would like to visit some major sites. We have to get back to our business so we are hoping to make the trip 10 days, and can add a couple days possibly. The parents will be staying in Canada after we leave, so just 2 of us driving straight back, with no over night stops. If that is too much we can skip NYC.

So far our destinations include:
Niagara Falls
Times Square
National Space Museum
Capitol building
Various monuments and memorials

I was also wondering are there any aircraft carrier or battleship museums in that area, I went to one in Texas years ago and I was amazed, and I'd like them to get to experience that.
Be sure to allow yourself at least 4-5 days to enjoy Montreal and perhaps even take in Quebec City for a day. If you think the group can keep up with schlepping around museums and iconic landmarks in fast paced areas like DC & NYC then by all means go for it. I use to travel like that and had a lot of good times. You'll remember your favorite places along the way and you want to go back again. Since you want to cover a lot of ground in DC I'd probably consider at least 2 nights in DC to allow yourself a full day of exploration and a good rest afterwards. You'd probably want to position your hotel right in town close to the attractions that you want to see.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:47 PM

21,937 posts, read 27,320,303 times
The Intrepid Air and Space Museum in Manhattan has an aircraft carrier, a submarine and the space shuttle Enterprise.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:51 PM

56,511 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Buffalo and Erie County Naval & Military Park

Also, along the route: Tourist Attraction in NY | Battle Reenactments | Family Vacations Ideas

Old 04-04-2014, 10:33 PM

3,499 posts, read 4,954,121 times
Charleston SC, and Wilmington NC, have battleships. The Washington DC Navy Yard has for tourists, the ship "U.S.S. Barrie" (although it's not well-known) -- and Baltimore Harbor has the "U.S.S. Constellation" and the submarine "Torsk." NYC as mentioned, has the U.S.S. "Intrepid."

You can get PLENTY of information and advice on visiting the local areas you mentioned, on the following site Reviews of Hotels, Flights and Vacation Rentals - TripAdvisor . Also see Smithsonian .

This new (and free) museum in Quantico, VA, beside I-95, is very impressive. http://www.usmcmuseum.org

Old 04-04-2014, 11:11 PM

9,422 posts, read 18,313,139 times
Quote:
Philadelphia's waterfront has some battleship museums with old vessels from the late 1800's.
Independence Seaport Museum

Old 04-04-2014, 11:38 PM

10,552 posts, read 13,107,085 times
Fly.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:42 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,267,628 times
Do the Parents have a tourist visa to be in Canada ? Or have they applied for , or been granted Permanent Resident status in Canada ?

If the answer is no, then they need to apply for permission to stay in Canada, after you leave Canada . If they simply show up at the Canadian port of entry, without proper documents, they will be denied entry to Canada.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:49 AM

6,309 posts, read 6,960,359 times
This is just me but there's no way I would be able to enjoy much of that incredibly rushed trip. And from my experience things always move slower with a group of people. So I'd strongly advise extending your number of days or cutting back on the number of destinations. Travel alone will take 5 full days at least (google maps says minimum 55 hours of driving), leaving you with only about one day for each city. Perhaps doable, but not too enjoyable.

One other thought: if you're going through Niagara Falls then I'd definitely stop in Toronto as well. Not only is it a great city, but it'll be a godsend for an older Chinese couple. Toronto's Cantonese cuisine is arguably the best outside of Hong Kong (I know many of them think it's better, lol) I can imagine if I lived in Lawrence, KS that I would be starved for some great Chinese food of any style. Anyway, just a thought. Obviously NYC is pretty good for that, too.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:53 AM

6,309 posts, read 6,960,359 times
One other thing...who are you visiting?? Lol...well, after reading the entire post again I'm gathering it's your wife's sister and her husband. I was confused at first but now I get it.

Quote:
Hi all, my family is taking a vacation to visit my sisters wife and husband in Montreal, Canada in August.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or