Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 08:23 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
I always felt like Illinois would get its fair share of hate.
It should be # 1 on everyone's list, lol
The corruption, the high COL,
the crime, the weather,
the location, the boring flatness,
the taxes.....
ugh!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 08:29 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,087,058 times
I'm surprised Minnesota hasn't been mentioned yet. Most Americans have seemingly zero knowledge of the state, and those that do only seem to know the negatives (it's hellaciously cold, there's an enormous mall, "oh, that's the place where the bridge collapsed").

I even remember a national commercial a few years ago in which a man is daydreaming about flying away on a dream vacation, only snapping out of his daydream when a flight attendant says "this plane's going to Minneapolis." [Cutaway to horrified look on aforementioned man's face]

Old 04-07-2014, 11:36 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,334,174 times
Minneapolis is a well regarded city. I agree that many do not know about Minnesota outside the Twin Cities, though. Except the stereotypes.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:27 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,303,613 times
Michigan should be on that list! Our state is huge and mostly rural with gorgeous natural scenery, friendly, grounded people, a plethora of quaint small towns, and tons of stuff to do, yet...everywhere in Michigan seems to be inner city Detroit and rusted, abandoned, factories to the uninformed people on these forums. Even Detroit is not remotely all bad, with a revitalized downtown with a beautiful waterfront and the busiest international border crossing in the country and other areas quickly becoming gentrified and revitalized. Detroit also has some of the nicest, most upscale, suburbs in the country.

I invite anyone who thinks that Michigan = Detroit (which covers less than 0.01% of our entire land area)to visit our state and drive around for a few days. But watch out, you just may fall in love!

Old 04-08-2014, 05:25 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,158,596 times
No Florida but

California
New Jersey
Mississippi
West Virginia
Texas
Alabama

Old 04-08-2014, 07:09 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,181,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Michigan should be on that list! Our state is huge and mostly rural with gorgeous natural scenery, friendly, grounded people, a plethora of quaint small towns, and tons of stuff to do, yet...everywhere in Michigan seems to be inner city Detroit and rusted, abandoned, factories to the uninformed people on these forums. Even Detroit is not remotely all bad, with a revitalized downtown with a beautiful waterfront and the busiest international border crossing in the country and other areas quickly becoming gentrified and revitalized. Detroit also has some of the nicest, most upscale, suburbs in the country.

I invite anyone who thinks that Michigan = Detroit (which covers less than 0.01% of our entire land area)to visit our state and drive around for a few days. But watch out, you just may fall in love!
I agree it's unfairly hated, but "mostly rural", it is not! Like Ohio, there are a large number of medium-to-large cities in Michigan. I mean technically the state is mostly rural, but that's true for just about every states in the U.S. (except maybe RI, NJ and DC). I guess I mean in relation to the other U.S. states Michigan is far from rural.

FWIW Michigan has THE best advertising campaign I've seen amongst U.S. states: "Pure Michigan".

Old 04-08-2014, 08:54 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post

Michigan has one helluva great ad campaign though that really makes me want to visit the Great Lakes area.

Note on Minnesota - I have only been to Minneapolis but I have to say that I was thoroughly charmed by that city. AND the people. Very friendly people and I thought the city was beautiful. The winters would be a bit too much for this southern gal, but I have a very positive impression of MN.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:34 PM

400 posts, read 793,138 times
I'm always hearing something about New Jersey.

I've also heard some things about West Virginia and South Carolina. Ohio, too. Can't think of a fifth...

Old 04-08-2014, 03:35 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,965,547 times
Texas, New York, California and so forth have just as many ardent defenders as they do detractors, so I'm not gonna list them. Large states inevitably become targets.

Instead I'll list states that it seems like the negative perceptions strongly outweigh the positive ones.

New Jersey
Ohio
Mississippi
Oklahoma
South Carolina

Old 04-08-2014, 04:15 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,250,059 times
Most unfairly "hated on":

Mississippi
Michigan
Texas
Arizona
California
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.