Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 11:08 PM

605 posts, read 803,593 times

Advertisements

My guesses:

1. New Jersey
2. Florida
3. Texas
4. Mississippi
5. Alabama

Right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 11:14 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,192,709 times
Well. If you go into any of the 'worst states' threads. You'll find the great plains states of the Dakota's, Nebraska and Oklahoma way over represented in them. Oddly enough, we are known as flat but we aren't even close to being the flattest. Our cities are crapped on in these forums despite the high growth, extremely high standard of living and quality of life.

I'm going with the great plains. Easily the most hated on and grossly underrated, and it isn't close.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:37 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,321,294 times
I would say the five states I most often hear in a negative context are (in no particular order):

South Carolina

Mississippi

Alabama

New Jersey

Texas

Which is really a damn shame. While I don't necessarily care for what I perceive as the negative aspects of some of these states, I can hardly fault a whole state and its people for everything that goes on within its borders. (and a lot of popular states simply think their s- don't stink. I'm looking at you California :-)

Furthermore, I have been to a couple of these places and was struck with all the positive qualities which tend to stand out far and above the negative. This really makes me want to spend some time in the Magnolia state and the Palmetto state to see what I am missing!

Old 04-06-2014, 12:04 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,928,762 times
New Jersey
Florida
California
Mississippi
Texas

Old 04-06-2014, 12:05 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,192,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I would say the five states I most often hear in a negative context are (in no particular order):

South Carolina

Mississippi

Alabama

New Jersey

Texas

Which is really a damn shame. While I don't necessarily care for what I perceive as the negative aspects of some of these states, I can hardly fault a whole state and its people for everything that goes on within its borders. (and a lot of popular states simply think their s- don't stink. I'm looking at you California :-)

Furthermore, I have been to a couple of these places and was struck with all the positive qualities which tend to stand out far and above the negative. This really makes me want to spend some time in the Magnolia state and the Palmetto state to see what I am missing!
They are picked on in some contexts.. But they also get some hype in the discussions. When there is a poll of the 'worst' states, the GP states are always in there and very few to defend them with any good counters.. And it is always based on some myths developed in the 1970s by some jerkwad LA or NY media celebrity..

To be honest. It is actually quite a good thing in many ways though. We do get a positive in-migration but from those that don't buy into the hype and don't immediately disregard our region because of what the blowing winds are saying Which is probably why we have a strong core of people with a savvy business sense in these areas.

But I do agree with you in when people are comparing certain states (after the GP states are left disregarded), those states and a few others tend to get a bad rap from CD. I think I'd include Michigan in that too.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:48 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,638,934 times
From what I read:

California--crowds, cost, politics, people either love or hate it there.
NY--taxes, weather, politics ( NY's political/social agenda seems to be a strong Achilles heel w/ lots of people).
NJ--high taxes.
Florida--too many elders, deviants and misfits live there--main topics there--and rude S. Florida people. Extreme humidity and bugs everywhere.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:52 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,918,565 times
The same ones that get the most praise.

California
New York
Texas
Florida
Arizona

Old 04-06-2014, 02:41 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,645,907 times
Texas
Indiana
Arizona
Mississippi
Louisiana

Old 04-06-2014, 02:53 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,928,762 times
If you go on YouTube or google for content related to Florida living, you will see NUMEROUS blogs, forums and vlogs about people hating Florida like there's no tomorrow.

Personally, I enjoy visiting Florida, but not sure if I want to live there. Likewise, I know plenty of people who moved there and love it.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:35 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,280,356 times
No particular order:

1. Texas
2. Florida
3. New Jersey
4. California
5. Mississippi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.