Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2017, 10:49 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
No it does not, and even if it did, the Sunbelt is inclusive of the West. You're mistaken if you use "Southern" and "Sunbelt" interchangeably.
Lol, I'm on the same page.... sunbelt is inclusive of the southern west
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 12:35 PM

636 posts, read 611,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadofknowledge View Post
Maryland is not southern AT ALL. And hasnt been since BEFORE the Civil War. Maryland is Mid-Atlantic/Lower Northeast.
You mean when it was still a slave state?

Old 06-11-2017, 11:40 PM

304 posts, read 324,866 times
As someone born and raised in Mobile, Alabama, I can tell you that Alabama has the worse reputation as a state in the US, mostly well deserved. I can also tell you, without a moments hesitation, that the majority of people in Alabama do not talk bad about Virginia or NC, and have always considered them part of the South. I can also tell you, without a moments hesitation, that the only state that people in Alabama really hate and trash is Georgia, and to that end Atlanta. Atlanta is not a popular city amongst people from Alabama, Mississippi, SC and Louisiana, states that are as deep red and deep southern as you will find. In fact the odd thing about Atlanta, is that it's not popular really in most of the US, but it's reputation amongst those people who consider themselves "real southerners" is even worse.

When I was a kid, I vividly remember, in the third grade, my history teacher talking about Sherman's March to the Sea and when she mentioned Atlanta being burned to the ground, the entire room literally cheered. It was both one of the strangest and funniest moments I can remember. In fact most people from where I grew up would tell you that Atlanta is the least Southern city in the South, not including Miami. They would place Dallas and Houston as more "southern" than Atlanta. I really don't care either way. I live in Atlanta now, and I find most of Atlanta to be the most out of place city in the South. The architecture, the people, the culture - at least over the last decade or so, is so completely foreign to where I grew up, that I can't think of a time when Atlanta actually was southern in culture. I mean the Braves migrated to Atlanta in 1966, and that was the first professional baseball team in the traditional deep South. At least since the 1940's Atlanta has probably tried the hardest to to cast off it's southern influences. Becoming the first city in the traditional South to embrace the kind of globalist trends that Northeastern cities did half a century earlier. In fact when you look at cities like Charlotte and Nashville it's clear as day that are following Atlanta's model after they saw the benefits of what Atlanta achieved decades earlier.

Atlanta, while playing a prominent role - location wise during the Civil War, was really not much of city back then. I think the reason why so many "real Southerns" in the South hate Atlanta, is that it became the the center and rallying cry of the "new South" back in the 60's. The city really overshadowed the rest of the deep South, and resentment grew from there. It's not just a lot of Northeastern and Midwest transplants that migrated to Atlanta, many progressive minded people in the rest of the deep South migrated there too. Which meant that jobs went to Atlanta and the other mid level cities in the South saw little to no job growth during that time; which again furthered the resentment.

Like I said, most of my family is religious and conservative as hell, I am the black sheep of the family, in that I am an atheist and liberal. My family views Atlanta as nothing but Northeastern transplants living in a state that, otherwise, they consider to be beneath Alabama. As I said earlier I don't care how people define other states south of the Mason Dixon line, but I can tell you that the only city I routinely hear getting trashed in the deepest of the deep South is Atlanta. Make of that what you will.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:22 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,560,674 times
That's very odd of your family to think ATL is beneath them. I have 1 parent from the Midwest and the other's from the Northeast. Some of my relatives moved to Fla or SC to escape the cold of NY State. My image of the real South has always been metro ATL and Central Florida (along with the developed parts of the region. I'm aware of the rural undeveloped parts of the South but I really don't venture to those parts. Gotta stay safe, gotta live.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:30 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
That's very odd of your family to think ATL is beneath them. I have 1 parent from the Midwest and the other's from the Northeast. Some of my relatives moved to Fla or SC to escape the cold of NY State. My image of the real South has always been metro ATL and Central Florida (along with the developed parts of the region. I'm aware of the rural undeveloped parts of the South but I really don't venture to those parts. Gotta stay safe, gotta live.
You'd have a higher chance of experiencing danger or dying in metro ATL or Central Florida than the rural, undeveloped parts of the South. Just thought you should know that.

Old 06-12-2017, 04:07 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,053,895 times
Isn't ATL like a sort of gay Mecca? I would think that would make it very much not the epitome of Southern.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:16 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,036,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
Lol the rural areas is the safest part. At least here in Texas.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:57 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,140,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You'd have a higher chance of experiencing danger or dying in metro ATL or Central Florida than the rural, undeveloped parts of the South. Just thought you should know that.
For real

Old 06-15-2017, 09:25 AM

525 posts, read 718,929 times
Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas, Houston, Miami, Nashville, and Raleigh are considered to be parts of the New South booming with jobs. With the exception of Miami, they are still southern but their southern culture is changing though.

The Deep South (Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Mississippi) and other undeveloped rural areas aren't experiencing explosive growth. In these areas, you definitely are in the South.

I personally prefer large Texas cities like Austin and Dallas/Ft. Worth Metroplex over other cities in the New South but that is just me.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:35 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,218,629 times
As someone who spent a significant amount of time in Mississippi when I was younger, a lot of people there view NC and VA as the South, but not the Deep South. Some barely consider Virginia the South at all. And Northern VA? Fuggedaboutit. I knew a couple of less-enlightened people who said that NC wasn't a southern state because the state has the word, "North" in it. Of course, they had never been to the state to know any better. But yeah, a lot of people I know there consider them the South, but consider Texas and Florida to not be the South at all, go figure.

And people from Alabama looking down on Georgia? I thought a popular saying there was "Thank God for Mississippi," since that's the one state they can look down on. And Alabama isn't even that crappy of a place, I'd rather live there than Mississippi, though I'd choose harakari over living in either state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.