Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2014, 10:55 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
Uh, California is one of the most left-wing, liberal states in the country. It is not predominantly conservative in the slightest bit. The cities that are conservative are the exception in California, while the cities that are liberal are the exception in Texas. California does not have a "dash" of hippie/bohemian influence in certain To speak in generalizations: California embraces progressive, radical thinking while Texas shuns it. Having spent time in both places I would argue they are two of the most different states in the Country in terms of people and attitude.
Sounds like something you would find in DFW, Houston and Austin.

I don't even know one person who shuns progressiveness and radical thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 11:28 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Nairobi, I've bolded the parts which could be seen as condescending. The above post is for the most part neutral and informative, but like you, I noticed the subtle, or as you said, "subliminal" swipes.

Just for general knowledge - the correct word is "conservatism," not "conservativism."
I'm sorry that you two take my stating obvious differences as an affront to Texans. I can't say I understand why, though.

You don't agree that the Rio Grande Valley is less integral to Texas policies and politics than is the Central Valley to California's?

You don't agree that the vast majority of Texans live hundreds and hundreds of miles from Big Bend, the place being presented by a guy from a Tyler Internet connection as proof of similarities in Texas and California landscapes? To further illustrate the fallacy I was pointing out: I live in a neighborhood of 26,385 people per square mile, yet I can hop on my bicycle and in minutes, be here:

Travels With Cicely: Marin Headlands

That's San Francisco in the background. Is there any analogue to either the starting point or ending point anywhere in Texas? If there were a similar starting point in any of Texas' major cities, would it not be hours and hours by car to get to a similar place--a National Park preserved for its beauty at the expense of development, despite being located in some of the most valuable real estate in the world--if such a place even existed?

There is also National Park land within my city limits--one of the most dense, most expensive cities in terms of real estate, in the country. That's another important difference in the attitudes of the two states. Here's the Texas idea of preservation of one of its most revered pieces of land (located approximately as far from Houston as the above pic is from SF):

San Jacinto Monument

Does this seem condescending to you? Any judgments as to which is preferable have been left to you. I have merely illustrated a difference. Why would you find that condescending?

Old 04-21-2014, 01:38 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by probablyimnotsure View Post
San Diego is pretty conservative, and I think would fit better with the Texas mindset than LA or San Francisco.
Probably because its a large military base.

San Antonio is similar in that regard.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:29 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Probably because its a large military base.

San Antonio is similar in that regard.
San Antonio is conservative?

Old 04-21-2014, 07:38 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,657,106 times
In no way, shape, or form do I regard California and Texas as similiar.

Texas is pancake-flat, uninspiring, soulless prairie with tornadoes that will level your home, hail storms that will ruin your car windows/windshield, Evangelicals/Bible-thumpers that post Biblical quotes/phrases on social media all day long, more crosses than people, mosquitoes the size of hummingbirds, brown-recluse spiders whose bite will require an amputation, alligators that will eat your dog, Rush Limbaugh/Glenn Beck fans, arrogant gun-touting rednecks who couldn't throw a punch to save their lives in a fist fight, and people prouder to be from Texas than from the US.

California is a gem by comparison.

Please, spare me. Really.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:49 PM

975 posts, read 1,404,968 times
I will give you all that California is in probably it's own league when it comes to natural beauty. There isn't a state in the US that compares to California when it comes to variety of climates and the fact that you can have some amazing mountains within 5 hours of amazing beaches within 5 hours of a massive desert. California's cities are also definitely more world renowned than anything in Texas. However, I still think that the two states have a lot of similarities.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:16 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post

Texas is pancake-flat, uninspiring, soulless prairie with tornadoes that will level your home, hail storms that will ruin your car windows/windshield, Evangelicals/Bible-thumpers that post Biblical quotes/phrases on social media all day long, more crosses than people, mosquitoes the size of hummingbirds, brown-recluse spiders whose bite will require an amputation, alligators that will eat your dog, Rush Limbaugh/Glenn Beck fans, arrogant gun-touting rednecks who couldn't throw a punch to save their lives in a fist fight, and people prouder to be from Texas than from the US.

And California is full of gang bangers shooting each other, fake/materialistic people who have puppies with pink dyed hair, lazy surfers who smoke weed all day, taxes up the azz, very poor educational system, 7.0 earthquakes every day, etc..

Old 04-21-2014, 09:26 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,947,759 times
Quote:

Sorry, that's totally wrong. Texas is so freaking big...you cannot generalize the whole state as being one way, when you only seen a small part.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:47 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
San Antonio is conservative?
Yup, sure is.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:03 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,282,579 times
Quote:

You write that and then expect people to spare you? Here, let's go through each point and show you why you're absolutely wrong:

Texas is pancake-flat, uninspiring, soulless prairie

West Texas is not flat. And East Texas has the Piney Woods. Also, South Padre Island?

with tornadoes that will level your home, hail storms that will ruin your car windows/windshield,

The tornadoes in Texas mainly happen in North Central Texas. Also, after living in Texas for several years, I experienced around 5 hailstorms. The hailstones were no bigger than a marble.

Evangelicals/Bible-thumpers that post Biblical quotes/phrases on social media all day long,

Sounds like you're friending the wrong people. Those quotes don't show up on my news feed, and at least 80% of my friends are Southerners.

more crosses than people,

Just... no.

mosquitoes the size of hummingbirds,

Mosquitoes exist wherever there is a humid climate and standing water. Texas does not have a monopoly on mosquitoes.

brown-recluse spiders whose bite will require an amputation,

Recluse spiders (including brown recluse spiders) live throughout the South, Southwest, California, and parts of the Midwest. All of them are venomous and their bites cause the horrific skin condition.

alligators that will eat your dog,

Alligators live along the gulf and Sabine River. West of I-35, there are almost no alligators.

Rush Limbaugh/Glenn Beck fans,

You can find those anywhere.

arrogant gun-touting rednecks who couldn't throw a punch to save their lives in a fist fight,

Also can be found anywhere.

and people prouder to be from Texas than from the US.

This is always thrown out and I've never encountered. I don't act like Texas is the best thing that ever existed. None of my friends from Texas do either. I'm guessing that the few loud and crazy Texans end up on the news and that's who people see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.