U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 06:15 AM

550 posts, read 569,935 times

Advertisements

I'm guessing:

Amherst, MA
Ann Arbor, MI
Athens, GA
Berkeley, CA
Boulder, CO
Burlington, VT
Chapel Hill, NC
Charlottesville, VA
Ithaca, NY
Madison, WI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 07:33 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,050,355 times
Cambridge MA
Eugene OR

Old 04-19-2014, 07:48 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,143,293 times
State College PA is another one that could be in the running

Princeton has a great campus and town adjacent but les the prototypical college town that State College is

Charllottesville and Ann Arbor are very good

Old 04-19-2014, 08:16 AM

9,422 posts, read 18,316,727 times
I think the OP summed it up already for the top 10 in terms of notoriety.

For the Southwest, I'd add Tucson, AZ.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:42 AM

952 posts, read 1,077,214 times
Lawrence, KS should also be here (or at least in the running). It's an absolutely beautiful college with the University of Kansas on hill.

Last edited by Ztonyg; 04-19-2014 at 08:53 AM..

Old 04-19-2014, 08:45 AM

1,775 posts, read 2,510,289 times
Here are my picks:

Amherst, MA
Ann Arbor, MI
Athens, GA
Iowa City, IA
Champaign, IL
Charlottesville, VA
Davis, CA
Ithaca, NY
Madison, WI
State College, PA

Honorable mention: Bloomington, IN; Eugene, OR; Norman, OK; College Station, TX; Gainsville, FL; Lawrence, KS; and Santa Cruz, CA.

Here are my reasons for deviating from the OP's choices:

I replaced Burlington, VT with Champaign, IL. I feel that the University of Vermont is too small to really affect the city in the same way that big schools do in other college towns. Champaign offers the full college town experience: academic sophistication, farmers markets, coffee shops, sports bars, binge drinking, and cow tipping.

I replaced Berkeley, CA with Davis, CA. Berkeley is too much intertwined with the rest of the Bay Area to be included on this list. Davis on the other hand, is a stand-alone city, where everyone gets around via bike. There are lots of cute parks and shops, but unlike Berkeley, the University is the only show in town.

I swapped out Boulder for Iowa City for the same reason why I replaced Berkeley with Davis. Boulder is too much apart of the greater Denver area.

I replaced Chapel Hill, NC with College Station, PA. Chapel Hill is part of the larger Research Triangle, which has a population of nearly two million people. Due to the high population, diversity of industry, and number Northern retirees moving down to the area, the dynamics of the area move further away from the University everyday. Rather, IMO, State College, in all of its isolated, drunk, sports-crazed glory, more accurately represents the quintessential college town.

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 04-19-2014 at 08:58 AM..

Old 04-19-2014, 08:47 AM

21,185 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_Jolie-Pitt View Post
I'm guessing:

Amherst, MA
Ann Arbor, MI
Athens, GA
Berkeley, CA
Boulder, CO
Burlington, VT
Chapel Hill, NC
Charlottesville, VA
Ithaca, NY
Madison, WI
A good list but would add Iowa City IA, Bloomington IN or Lawrence KS over Madison or Berkeley, which aren't exactly the prototype for "college town" given their much larger sizes than the rest.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:48 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,171,285 times
Pullman > Corvallis > Eugene

Berkeley is not a college town, it is part of a major urban area. Santa Cruz is not a college town. Neither is Tucson. Eugene is a borderline one too due to its size. If you want a true college town in the Pac-12, go to Pullman, Corvallis, or Boulder.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:16 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,221,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_Jolie-Pitt View Post
I'm guessing:

Amherst, MA
Ann Arbor, MI
Athens, GA
Berkeley, CA
Boulder, CO
Burlington, VT
Chapel Hill, NC
Charlottesville, VA
Ithaca, NY
Madison, WI
I'd leave out Madison (too big with too much non-college importance) and Burlington (college too small) and Berkely (just a major metro suburb). Amherst MA (a dozen just like in New England) Replace them with Lawrence KS, Columbia MO,, Fayetteville AR. Champaign IL, College Station TX.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:16 PM

409 posts, read 459,403 times
Ithaca
Amherst
Burlington
Chapel Hill
Charlottesville
Athens
Tuscaloosa
Bloomington
Lawrence
Iowa City

I would not include places like Cambridge, Ann Arbor, Berkley, New Haven, or Princeton, as they are college towns within huge metro areas.

And interestingly, the West doesn't do "small college town" very much.

Madison is a possibility but too big to be "college town", IMO.

Fayetteville, Champaign, and College Station are NOT particularly good college towns, IMO. I'm surprised people are including them. To me, they are (along with West Lafayette, South Bend, East Lansing and a few others) college towns that really punch below their weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.