Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 04:18 PM

24,496 posts, read 33,233,414 times

Advertisements

Hidden Hills, CA.

City of Hidden Hills, California
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 04:13 PM

94 posts, read 223,693 times
Scottsdale

Old 05-11-2014, 04:56 PM

69 posts, read 117,645 times
Indian Wells, CA

Incredibly wealthy. Like mind-boggling affluent.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:18 AM

119 posts, read 138,604 times
I wouldn't call Santa Fe as affluent overall

Old 05-15-2019, 05:52 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,470,751 times
Hilton Head SC, Pinehurst NC, Greenwich CT

Old 05-15-2019, 08:09 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,932,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Hilton Head SC, Pinehurst NC, Greenwich CT
Pinehurst is surrounded by a lot of typical rural southern country, and itself, like most "top end" communities in the Carolinas, is just middle- to upper middle class, and I don't see any million+ homes currently on the market there, and its Cadillac dealership is shared with Chevy. Even Hilton Head, while more upscale, has more six figure than seven figure homes on the market (especially away from the immediate oceanfront), and I don't consider sub-million homes to be upper class/rich. The Carolinas aren't really known for true upper class areas on a national average and the luxury tends to be isolated to tiny areas, sometimes just a single home itself. I do agree that Greenwich does attract the super-rich, including some billionaires and celebrities.

For those who said Scottsdale, remember its a large place, and there's middle-class neighborhoods/pockets mixed in, even in that section near the 5th Avenue Shops & Boutiques.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:21 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,589,303 times
Black Point, Maine (where Glenn Close lives).

Greenwich, Connecticut.

Manchester, New Hampshire.

Napa, California.

Cambridge, MA.

Arlington, VA.

Yes, I know that poor and middle class people live in all those areas, but these are very wealthy areas in general.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:33 AM

142 posts, read 92,644 times
I think Telluride takes the cake here, at least as a key example of what you are asking. Because of the geography and topography, there is no room to build, service industry workers have to drive in across mountains to get to work, and tiny condos are in the seven figure range. It's also so tiny, it's definitely the kind of place where at dinner the table next to yours may be billionaires and CEOs of major corporations and that's just the norm.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:31 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,650,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Santa Fe does have a high concentration of wealth but it's certainly not exclusively wealthy by any stretch of the imagination. There are definitely middle class and lower income areas as well.
There is a barrio right in town.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:35 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,650,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
For any of these locales, there are some service industry folks that definitely aren't rich. Anyway I'd say that most all Colorado mountain towns fit the bill- the most notable being Aspen, Steamboat Springs, Crested Butte, and Telluride. They're awesome little places with very little affordable housing inventory. Anyway, it's all relative- most all of the places on the list look exclusive- but after living in the Roaring Fork Valley of CO, some of the places like Santa Fe and even Palm Beach actually look somewhat affordable to me, which I never would have imagined. Yes, there are plenty of very wealthy people in those cities, but there is a much bigger population (possible job opportunities) and a higher amount of housing available.
That should read “Colorado RESORT towns”. There are mountain towns that aren’t resorts. I am not going to name any of them, because the state doesn’t need more towns consisting mainly of second or third or fourth or fifth McMansions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.