Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 09:15 PM

92 posts, read 235,670 times

Advertisements

Hawaii isn't for everyone. What if you get sick of the heat and humidity and want to escape? Well you can't because your'e on an isolated island. Some people don't like all the tourists in their towns either. People don't vacation there because it's too expensive. Most people don't even take cross country vacations. It's just too expensive for the average American to pay for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 10:05 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,974,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi851 View Post
Maybe it is a case of the grass being greener on the other side or worse- a fantasy that is just that- a fantasy.... But isn't Hawaii the most beautiful place to live?

The beach, the sunny relaxed feel, ocean all around....why doesn't every American desire to live there? If I were a citizen I'd at least spend a few months each year on that island. It looks like paradise in Lost, Jurassic Park and Hawaii 5-o. So much better than the urban decay that represents every other suburban town in every country.

For your own well being and sanity. Why doesn't every American(and every American at the very least makes 50k a year) spend a month on an island.

Why wouldn't you want to relocate there for good? It would be so much cheaper than living on the mainland. And it'll do wonders to your longevity.

I could become a citizen of Canada and I am relocating to the Vancouver islands. A sailboat, the ocean, a loved one does wonders for your well being. Far more than all cable TV and an Aston Martin....I can honestly vauvh for that.

If I were an American, I'd look for, scrounge for....ways to spend some time in Hawaii each year. You don't even need a passport.
Not sure the statement I bolded is accurate. It's not as if Hawaii is paradise and everywhere else is a decaying, crumbling hell hole. I live in a very nice, upper middle class suburban NYC town with a lot of trees, parks, a river winding through it, very nice old Victorian homes, and a wonderful bustling downtown. Can't complain at all about my town, it's great. One of my favorite things to do is walk through the paths along the river in the woods throughout all 4 seasons to view the beauty my area offers throughout the year, and take pictures of it.

But I get what you're saying. Even so, I'm not sure I could live on an isolated island 4 hours by plane from the mainland, where things are more expensive (it is NOT cheaper than living on the mainland) and 95% of my family is on the East Coast of the US. I would miss a hell of a lot about where I live now, including our beaches, New York City, 4 seasons, the types of architecture and history you find here. Home is home. Just because Hawaii is beautiful doesn't mean everybody should live there, nor does it mean everybody should want to live there.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:15 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,957,115 times
I couldn't live on an island. I once drove from Atlanta to Anchorage. That is freedom. Also, I love the culture and climate where I'm at. Some people were just made to be where they be.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:30 PM

351 posts, read 499,619 times
1) Some people don't necessarily like the climate, weather, cities, geography of Hawaii. Some people like big cities that Hawaii doesn't have, some people like mid-sized towns with 4-seasons near ski resorts, etc.

2) Hawaii is quite expensive, especially for the average person

3) Hawaii is isolated

4) If only your employers would let you move anywhere in the world Some people are tethered to their jobs

Old 04-25-2014, 04:00 AM

30,484 posts, read 16,198,344 times
Quote:
Maybe it is a case of the grass being greener on the other side or worse- a fantasy that is just that- a fantasy.... But isn't Hawaii the most beautiful place to live?

The beach, the sunny relaxed feel, ocean all around....why doesn't every American desire to live there? If I were a citizen I'd at least spend a few months each year on that island. It looks like paradise in Lost, Jurassic Park and Hawaii 5-o. So much better than the urban decay that represents every other suburban town in every country.

For your own well being and sanity. Why doesn't every American(and every American at the very least makes 50k a year) spend a month on an island.

Why wouldn't you want to relocate there for good? It would be so much cheaper than living on the mainland. And it'll do wonders to your longevity.

I could become a citizen of Canada and I am relocating to the Vancouver islands. A sailboat, the ocean, a loved one does wonders for your well being. Far more than all cable TV and an Aston Martin....I can honestly vauvh for that.

If I were an American, I'd look for, scrounge for....ways to spend some time in Hawaii each year. You don't even need a passport.
Everybody is different. I went there. Once. Wouldn't go again for any reason. Not everybody likes the same thing. Not everybody sees beauty the same.

Maine, to me, is much more beautiful. People are friendlier. Cost is lower. And I don't need a passport to get there either.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:30 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:

How about Florida as a plan-B? Some say its paradise/
http://cedestinations.com/wp-content...sburg-fl-3.jpg
Ft Desoto if you are wondering about the pic.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:45 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
I've been there many times, love it, and would consider living there.

For me, the climate is near perfect. For a tropical location, the humidity really isn't that high (it's not steamy hot like TX or FL in the summer). If I never had to wear anything other than shorts and flip flops in my life, I'd be happy. I love Honolulu because it has an Asian/Urban feel, yet you can easily get out to rural areas and see so much natural beauty. I also love the culture, food, and Hawiaiian people. And as for island fever, I live in Denver, which is similar to being on an island. I rarely stray more then 20 miles from my house, other than trips into the mountains in the summer. If I go out of state, I fly. I don't think being on an island would bother me at all. And since it's in the middle of the Pacific, it would be much easier to explore Asia and Australia from there.

So why don't I live there? It's too expensive and jobs are limited.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:43 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
There is more to life than a pretty view, and believe it or not, some people prefer other climates and environments to the tropical.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:33 AM

231 posts, read 381,731 times
Ever hear of too much of a good thing?

But like somebody else mentioned, there are racial tensions. Lots of islanders don't like mainlanders. Schools aren't up to par. It's expensive with out much room for growth.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:40 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,860,696 times
I'm originally from Australia but have lived in the U.S. a number of years now. When I lived in Australia I used to visit Hawaii very, very frequently. However, after about a week at a time, to me at least, it gets old. I would never want to live there.

Yes, it's beautiful, but after about a week it gets boring (to me at least). I'm not much of an outdoorsy person, so the beach doesn't really take up much of my time. You can drive around the entire island of Oahu in just a few hours, and I find the other islands beautiful but not overly exciting.

I always find my first number of days there amazing- the weather is gorgeous, the smell, the feel of the place, the beauty... but then I personally tend to get bored. I definitely couldn't spend a month per year there, no matter how much money we make!

I'd rather spend a month per year traveling throughout Europe and taking in museums and art galleries and historical buildings, and just a few days in Hawaii. Personal preference
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.