Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 07:50 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,443,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormChowwasgoodcoach View Post
Washington DC
Maryland
Anywhere in New England really
The Upper Midwest (particularly Wisconsin)
Colorado
The Northwest
Austin, TX
Southern California
Given this list, I will say your best bets are Los Angeles, Portland, Seattle, Minneapolis, and New York. LA and NYC are much more expensive and Portland/Seattle/Minneapolis are all fairly similar. NYC and LA are less white, but more segregated. Portland/Seattle/Minneapolis are smaller but more eclectic and "quirky."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 03:46 PM

51 posts, read 135,840 times
I could see OP facing problems in "less White" areas more so than in very White areas. In less White areas he may face the risk of being called a sellout or race traitor by other minorities who feel uncomfortable with him dating a White woman. More White areas he might not run into issues at all. When I lived in the upper midwest (Wisconsin in particular), the area was heavily White but interracial relationships between White women and minorities were accepted without many issues.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:16 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,169,787 times
For Wisconsin obviously Milwaukee (depending on the area of town) and Madison are your best bet, but Appleton and many of the UW extension cities (Eau Claire, Stevens Point, Oshkosh, etc.) would be very welcoming as well, as long as you can exist in a climate that's nearly the opposite of central FL.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:44 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Something else I wanted to throw out to people, Florida is surprisingly a really racist place to be in. You wouldn't think of it but North Florida is in every single way like other states in the South. The only places in Florida where racism is hardly an issue are tourist areas like Key West and Orlando but the rest of Florida is really backwards.

Look up "Taylor Chapman", one young White female went into a Dunkin Donuts and started shouting racial slurs at the Indians that worked there. Young women like her are very common in Florida, don't even know what it is about this state but that is just how it is here. Interracial couples (particularly foreign looking men with White women) are not that common and there is a very powerful White nationalist movement in some parts of the state. People don't think this when they think about Florida but it is a very racist place to be in.

Outside of the racism there are many other things wrong with this place that I cannot wait to move.

Areas I am interested in are:

Washington DC
Maryland
Anywhere in New England really
The Upper Midwest (particularly Wisconsin)
Colorado
The Northwest
Austin, TX
Southern California

Are there any areas on the list I should cross out immediately?
Denver is a fairly non-racist city. I am white/gay and married to my black male partner, and we have bi-racial kids. No issues for us. And in our neighborhood, there are many interracial couples (white/black, Indian/white, Asian/white, Hispanic/white). I don't know how rural areas of Colorado are (other than being very sparsely populated), but in and around Denver, race seems to be a non-issue.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:44 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,229,909 times
Consider also Atlanta, DC for sure. Also the newish boom cities with lots of transplants from many cities states and countries. Raleigh, Dallas, Houston, Charlotte. All with good job prospects.

I am sorry for your misfortune in Florida. Between the crazy laws there and stories like this it's not exactly high on the totem places of places to live or move.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:51 AM

5 posts, read 8,144 times
People will not believe how unrealistically backwards many parts of Florida are.....

Thanks for all the answers though guys. If you know of a couple like us then maybe you can share their experiences with us.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:25 AM

361 posts, read 837,468 times
Quote:
People will not believe how unrealistically backwards many parts of Florida are.....

Thanks for all the answers though guys. If you know of a couple like us then maybe you can share their experiences with us.
You should try South Florida, lived there as an asian/french and didn't experience any racism, its very diverse with plenty of Europeans.
I'm surprised, I thought central Florida was quite tolerant and that only North Florida had issues.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:56 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
I can't say I'm too surprised at the OP's experiences. When I lived in Florida, it struck me as being a racially intolerant place.

OP, if you want to give Maryland a try, I would suggest Columbia. It's located between Baltimore and Washington, within convenient commuting distance of either one. The job market is very, very good here (at least relative to most other places in the country.) It, along with adjacent Ellicott City, has been named one of the best places to live by Money magazine, quite a few years running. It's a planned community, and it was intended to be a place where people of all different races and incomes could live happily together. And while the end result hasn't always lived up to its utopian ideals, it has always been a place where interracial couples have lived without any trouble to speak of.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:11 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,657,106 times
Quote:
Then some of these guys hitting on her see her with me and end up getting that shocked kind of look on their faces.

We are in Florida and our lives have been made hell by society here for our relationship. What is even more surprising is that some of the racism has come from Black men too. The part of Florida we live in mostly Black and White.

One time we were eating at a restaurant talking about things and one Black guy came up to our table and tried to hit on her. She ignored him. The guy just got up and said "oh okay so you wanna be with this terrorist lookalike but not give a brotha chance, b*tch f*ck you". He got up and left in frustration.
I'm very sorry to hear of your experiences.

I can assure that experiences like that will only occur in Florida because most people in Florida lack couth, class, and decency. Furthermore, Florida's culture is largely derived from ghetto blacks/African-Americans, redneck natives, ornery working-class ethnic whites from the Northeast and Great Lakes states, and Latin American immigrants who refuse to speak English and assimilate to American culture--all of which are groups that trend racist. It's just a very bizarre place in general with loads of bizarre goings-on like what you described you and your girlfriend experienced.

I can assure you that the culture and overall vibe of Florida is nothing like you'd experience in more normal areas like San Diego, Austin, Denver, Phoenix, Portland, Seattle, Boise, et al., so my best advice for you would be to get out as quickly as you possibly can.

FWIW, just about anyplace--save the Deep South, Lower Midwest (KS/MO/southern IN/southern IL/southern OH), and the Interior Northeast (PA/Upstate NY/ME plus RI)--will be better than FL, esp. with regard to racism and tolerance for interracial relationships.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:24 PM

47 posts, read 120,925 times
Quote:
So I didn't know where else to turn and decided to post here.

My family came to the US from Trinidad but racially I am Indian. Three years ago I met my girlfriend who is of Scandinavian heritage. She is a White female with blonde hair, blue eyes, and pale skin. I am a brown male with black hair, dark brown eyes, and a skin color similar to that of Sanjay Gupta's.

She is the kind of girl that was sought after by a few guys but she came to me, we met through dance class. I have been told I am good looking a few times and she constantly gets hit on. Then some of these guys hitting on her see her with me and end up getting that shocked kind of look on their faces.

We are in Florida and our lives have been made hell by society here for our relationship. What is even more surprising is that some of the racism has come from Black men too. The part of Florida we live in mostly Black and White.

One time we were eating at a restaurant talking about things and one Black guy came up to our table and tried to hit on her. She ignored him. The guy just got up and said "oh okay so you wanna be with this terrorist lookalike but not give a brotha chance, b*tch f*ck you". He got up and left in frustration.

Now I know it isn't too common anywhere in the world to see a man of my background with an attractive White female but I know not everywhere people give this sort of a bad reception.

Is the reception this bad everywhere or what? I need some recommendations on places to live.
How do you think black guys get white girls? By scaring them into it since they will get all ghetto and call the white girl a racist for not wanting to be with a black guy. A lot of white girls are scared to turn down a black man for fear of being called a racist. Move to LA, SF or the Northwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.