Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 07:03 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm A Gypsy View Post
Probably Minnesota and the Dakotas.
Minnesota I can agree with. North Dakota has interesting history with Lewis and Clark, the Native American tribes, and Theodore Roosevelt. South Dakota has a fascinating history. Wild Bill Hickock was there and killed in a saloon in Deadwood, Sitting Bull was there, Custer spent time in the Black Hills, and the Wounded Knee Massacre took place there. If you haven't visited South Dakota I highly recommend it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 07:57 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I think most of the Midwest has a pretty boring history compared to the Eastern Seaboard, Mountain West, and South.
I agree- the Midwest sucks, lol

Old 04-28-2014, 08:27 PM

383 posts, read 512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I think most of the Midwest has a pretty boring history compared to the Eastern Seaboard, Mountain West, and South.

That's a pretty ignorant statement, considering how much of an influence the Midwest had to the rise of America at the turn of the century. Detroit anyone?

Old 04-28-2014, 08:31 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,253,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
I agree- the Midwest sucks, lol
Really? The Midwest isn't snazzy as the Coasts, but it's also far less corrupt, offers a quality of life as good as anywhere in the country (and get much better bang for your buck, to boot) and is home to some of the best-educated people on the planet. It might not be your cup of tea, but to say it sucks is ignorant.

As for history, it's chock full of it. Mark Twain, Bix Beiderbecke, Prohibition-era Chicago, Little House on the Prairie, TONS of Native American history (Abraham Lincoln authorized the execution of 35+ Dakota near Mankato MN in the early 1860s - by far the largest mass execution in the history of the US), Toledo War, birth of the automobile industry, birth of the digital computer, loads of LDS history, start of the Oregon Trail, and the list goes on.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:55 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Really? The Midwest isn't snazzy as the Coasts, but it's also far less corrupt, offers a quality of life as good as anywhere in the country (and get much better bang for your buck, to boot) and is home to some of the best-educated people on the planet. It might not be your cup of tea, but to say it sucks is ignorant.

As for history, it's chock full of it. Mark Twain, Bix Beiderbecke, Prohibition-era Chicago, Little House on the Prairie, TONS of Native American history (Abraham Lincoln authorized the execution of 35+ Dakota near Mankato MN in the early 1860s - by far the largest mass execution in the history of the US), Toledo War, birth of the automobile industry, birth of the digital computer, loads of LDS history, start of the Oregon Trail, and the list goes on.
I stand by my statement- it sucks

Old 04-29-2014, 12:06 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
There are no boring states, only boring people.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:34 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbusflyer View Post
That's a pretty ignorant statement, considering how much of an influence the Midwest had to the rise of America at the turn of the century. Detroit anyone?
It's not an ignorant statement it's my opinion, of which I'm entitled to, just like you are entitled to disagree. However, I will agree that some of the cities like Chicago and Detroit do have some interesting histories. I just don't find the Midwest as interesting as the other places I mentioned.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:26 PM

447 posts, read 496,166 times
Wyoming
Idaho
Oregon
Nebraska
Minnesota
North Dakota

I have BA in History and for the life of me, I can not think of anything special that has happen in these states.......historically speaking.

Come to think of it, add:
Maine
Delaware
New Hampshire

Old 04-29-2014, 07:27 PM

92 posts, read 218,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westernwilly View Post
Wyoming
Idaho
Oregon
Nebraska
Minnesota
North Dakota

I have BA in History and for the life of me, I can not think of anything special that has happen in these states.......historically speaking.

Come to think of it, add:
Maine
Delaware
New Hampshire
Delaware gave us George Thorogood

Old 04-29-2014, 07:32 PM

596 posts, read 820,900 times
Indiana
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.