Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 11:57 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,618,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drea84 View Post
I was actually looking into Greensboro yesterday!! That's what sparked my interest like I've been so focused on SC but maybe there are other places just as nice or even better. As silly as it sounds Raleigh was immediately out because of The First 48 lol I don't want to live anywhere that has enough crime to make a tv show
Eh, I wouldn't judge actual crime in an area based on a tv show.

Portland, OR has pretty low crime, but has a crime show about werewolves, a show about white collar crime, and (more to the point) can claim one of the clips in the opening credits for "Cops." Even a documentary is going to frame reality a bit to suit the director's narrative POV. And there will be a lot they leave out.

'The Wire' was a pretty fair description of Baltimore drug crime, but Baltimore's actually a pretty nice city on the whole. By the same token, Kansas City has some really, really rough neighborhoods, but most of the city is quite safe.

If you're interested in Raleigh, I'd make a post on the Raleigh forum about the prospect of jobs, and whether housing can be found in a safe neighborhood at your target price. Though keep in mind that tax structures and other factors matter too. States with higher prop. tax may have higher rents (as the tax gets passed along in the rental price) but there may be a savings on income tax or even utilities to off-set.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 12:53 PM

1,312 posts, read 2,168,802 times
You think there's a "meth problem" & crime problem in the Fox Valley vs. elsewhere in the country?

It's one of the safest regions in the country considering the population. Seems really misinformed. If anything, I'd never live in the area because it's so boring and whitebread. Can understand a Floridian wanting to leave after the winter we just had, though...

Old 05-02-2014, 08:39 AM

77 posts, read 110,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
You think there's a "meth problem" & crime problem in the Fox Valley vs. elsewhere in the country?

It's one of the safest regions in the country considering the population. Seems really misinformed. If anything, I'd never live in the area because it's so boring and whitebread. Can understand a Floridian wanting to leave after the winter we just had, though...
No, no lol I think the Fox Valley is very safe! I was just stating that the Midwest in general seems to have a meth problem more so than other places from what I've seen in documentaries & heard from ppl not so much WI although I have never met anyone who actually did meth until I moved here and quite surprised by how many ppl do use it. New Mexico & Tennessee are the places I hear about it the most which I guess are more Southern than Midwest but I just remember always hearing Midwest mentioned when watching anything about meth so its in my brain!

Im also surprised that there is so much heroin use here too! Not as bad as crackhead bums wandering around that you might see in some states or big cities but for a small family oriented place its very surprising to me the amount of hard drug users I've come in contact with around here

Last edited by drea84; 05-02-2014 at 08:52 AM..

Old 05-02-2014, 08:42 AM

"I know no place is scared anymore. Even here in Appleton there is a decline from what it once was in ways of crime & drugs"

By this I just meant for such a nice place there has definitely been an increase in crime and drugs in the last couple of years not that its a dump or still not a very nice place for families lol

Old 05-02-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
Eh, I wouldn't judge actual crime in an area based on a tv show.

Portland, OR has pretty low crime, but has a crime show about werewolves, a show about white collar crime, and (more to the point) can claim one of the clips in the opening credits for "Cops." Even a documentary is going to frame reality a bit to suit the director's narrative POV. And there will be a lot they leave out.

'The Wire' was a pretty fair description of Baltimore drug crime, but Baltimore's actually a pretty nice city on the whole. By the same token, Kansas City has some really, really rough neighborhoods, but most of the city is quite safe.

If you're interested in Raleigh, I'd make a post on the Raleigh forum about the prospect of jobs, and whether housing can be found in a safe neighborhood at your target price. Though keep in mind that tax structures and other factors matter too. States with higher prop. tax may have higher rents (as the tax gets passed along in the rental price) but there may be a savings on income tax or even utilities to off-set.
You're right! Just kinda puts a bad taste in my mouth. Like after watching Dog The Bounty Hunter I have a totally different view of Hawaii as well lol

I'll do some digging on Raleigh & see if its as bad as I've assumed

Old 05-06-2014, 12:05 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,971,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drea84 View Post
You're right! Just kinda puts a bad taste in my mouth. Like after watching Dog The Bounty Hunter I have a totally different view of Hawaii as well lol

I'll do some digging on Raleigh & see if its as bad as I've assumed
Don't believe everything you see on television. Seriously.

Raleigh is a GREAT city. Up and coming and progressive. Crime is not something I would associate with Raleigh.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:09 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,098,599 times
ALBQ might be possible. Houston should definitely be looked into. Solid wages there can help. If your pay went up 20%, your allowance for housing could go up also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.