Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 04:46 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,108,506 times

Advertisements

San Antonio has lots of historic neighborhoods with craftsman bungalows all over the central part of the city. The 18th and 19th century neighborhoods of King William and Lavaca have craftsman bungalows as well as other style bungalows, districts that are known for their Victorian architecture. The bedroom inner cities of Alamo Heights and Olmos Park have an eclectic mix of architecture that also includes 1905-1920's craftsman bungalows.

Monte Vista Historic District
City of San Antonio | Official Web Site - Historic Preservation

Dignowity Hill Historic District

River Road Historic District

Fulton Historic District

Government Hill Historic District

Knob Hill HD

Monticello Park Historic District

Tobin Hill HD

King William HD

Lavaca HD

City of Alamo Heights
Alamo Heights TX Real Estate - 90 Homes For Sale - Zillow

City of Olmos Park
Olmos Park TX Homes For Sale & Olmos Park Real Estate - Zillow

Beacon Hill
Beacon Hill San Antonio TX Homes For Sale & Beacon Hill Real Estate - Zillow

Mahncke Park
http://mahnckepark.org/index.php/his...ncke-park.html

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 05-03-2014 at 05:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 10:14 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,889,961 times
^^^
We (South Park) are generally considered 2nd only to Pasadena as a premier, intact Craftsman Bungalow neighborhood; and, along with neighboring North Park known as having the highest concentration of cottage courts in the country (with some fine Spanish Revivals (like my house) and Prairie Styles thrown in for good measure), but San Antonio looks to also have some excellent examples of Craftsman neighborhoods. I've heard (never been) that San Antonio is similar to San Diego in this regard- deservedly known as a somewhat sprawling city yet with some excellent core neighborhoods that are often overlooked because of a perception problem. I've also read that prices in some of these neighborhoods have gone up dramatically in the last few years.

If San Antonio skews anything like San Diego, folks should jump into these "transitional" neighborhoods soon. South Park was a little sketchy when we moved here 16 years ago and now major fixer bungalows are snapped up in a couple of days for over $700 s.f.!!! As it is now considered one of the most desirable core neighborhoods in the city. I couldn't possibly afford my house today. And while Texas runs a little too hot and mostly unwalkable for my tastes maybe some of these neighborhoods here in San Antonio would seem to be able to give the OP what they are looking for. They look quite amazing and comparable to here to me.

We also up have many events showcasing the neighborhood, such as quarterly walkabouts and the annual Old House Fair which really help it to gain a bigger reputation in the city and elsewhere and have been instrumental in turning this neighborhood around, just as similar events and recognition transformed Pasadena- it can and does work in other historic neighborhoods around the country with the right support.
The Old House Fair ... San Diego ... Saturday June 21, 2014 - Welcome edit: our house has been on tour and I just noticed a picture of our garden on the website-

SOUTH PARK San Diego

Last edited by T. Damon; 05-03-2014 at 10:40 PM..

Old 05-04-2014, 07:38 AM

79 posts, read 123,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
That does not eliminate California.
Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place then. I haven't seen anything even vaguely historic in coastal California...unless it was in a really rundown area which I'm not considering.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:44 AM

5,017 posts, read 7,221,289 times
St. Petersburg, Fl. Particularly the Kenwood area.

Historic Kenwood | Neighborhood of the Arts

Old 05-04-2014, 12:22 PM

79 posts, read 123,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy skies View Post
Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place then. I haven't seen anything even vaguely historic in coastal California...unless it was in a really rundown area which I'm not considering.
I meant vaguely historic for under 500k.

Thanks for all the responses so far!

Old 05-04-2014, 03:16 PM

330 posts, read 587,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
^^^
I've heard (never been) that San Antonio is similar to San Diego in this regard- deservedly known as a somewhat sprawling city yet with some excellent core neighborhoods that are often overlooked because of a perception problem. I've also read that prices in some of these neighborhoods have gone up dramatically in the last few years.

If San Antonio skews anything like San Diego, folks should jump into these "transitional" neighborhoods soon. South Park was a little sketchy when we moved here 16 years ago and now major fixer bungalows are snapped up in a couple of days for over $700 s.f.!!! As it is now considered one of the most desirable core neighborhoods in the city. I couldn't possibly afford my house today. And while Texas runs a little too hot and mostly unwalkable for my tastes maybe some of these neighborhoods here in San Antonio would seem to be able to give the OP what they are looking for. They look quite amazing and comparable to here to me.
Yes, absolutely correct about the perception problem. The city has been around for a long time- generally very historic and walkable in the central areas. I live in San Antonio's Tobin Hill Historic District and love it. There are so many beautiful houses! A lot of lovely neighborhoods around here. It is really hot in the summer months though.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:47 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,154,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Riverside Avondale Preservation

My cousin lives in a Craftsman house in the Riverside area of Jacksonville. It really is a wonderful neighborhood.
Hey, thats what I was gonna say! (Well, not the part about your cousin...)

Old 05-04-2014, 08:48 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,807,379 times
Tucson has a lot of craftsman bungalows in West University, with some adobe homes. It's actually a great neighborhood, since it's so close to 4th avenue, and relatively quiet as a whole.

Phoenix doesn't have very many in comparison, because back in the day Tucson was actually the bigger city. Also if I am correct, the bungalows in Phoenix are in bad neighborhoods. I wouldn't look at Phoenix for them.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:46 PM

345 posts, read 455,455 times
Houston Heights is a classic bungalow neighborhood. Pricing is decent, but rising. Also bungalows are being crowded by copycat townhome infill, so that is a bit of a minus.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:36 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,928,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy skies View Post
I didn't see where you said non-coastal California was out. If you would consider places like San Antonio/Phoenix/Atlanta, I don't know why you wouldn't also consider Ontario, Riverside (check Wood Streets before ruling it out), Bakersfield, Fresno, Sacramento, et al.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.