Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 07:37 PM

5,517 posts, read 8,762,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Next thread topic "Is Staten Island, NY part of the South?"...
You mean it isn't?

Old 05-04-2014, 07:52 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Well, I've heard some people in other boroughs of New York City call Staten Island "country."
They do the same thing with Long Island and Upstate New York sometimes too.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:53 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
Just sayin. Slavery up through the Civil War defined the South more than any other institution. Which is why, to get back to OPs question, New Jersey is not the South.
Good point. Which in turn relates to how the North could be defined as that section where a goodly part of the totality of income was made off the slave trade itself.

This and its sub-links are an interesting read....

Slavery in the North

Old 05-04-2014, 08:03 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
Just sayin. Slavery up through the Civil War defined the South more than any other institution. Which is why, to get back to OPs question, New Jersey is not the South.
Good point...on some levels. Which in turn relates to how the North could be defined as that section where a goodly part of the totality of income was made off the slave trade itself.

This and its sub-links are an interesting read....

Slavery in the North

Old 05-04-2014, 08:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
There are countless forums in this site about "Is Delaware part of the south?", "Is Maryland part of the south?", "Is DC a southern city?", and theres even one forum that says "Is Southern Ohio considered southern?"
Maryland and most of Delaware are south of the Mason-Dixon line, as is DC. I've seen these posts about southern Ohio, Indiana and even. . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
We need one for Southern Illinois.
It's been done!

All of these states border Kentucky, which didn't secede in any event, ditto W VA (some border with OH) and MO (some border with Illinois).

Old 05-04-2014, 08:56 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SawBoi View Post
Here's a test you can use with any state to find out if it's in the south.

1. What side did the state fight for during the Civil War?

2. Did the state secede from the Union?

3. Does the state have a star on the Confederate battle flag?

4. Is the state geographically in the south? Is it next to Mississippi, Alabama,Georgia, etc?

5. Many rural black populations are higher than urban areas.

6. Fried foods, Soul Food and all parts of pork are considered to be GOOD! From the roota to the toota.

7. Southern Baptist Churches can be found pretty much everywhere.
Number 6 though.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:03 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,244,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Maryland and most of Delaware are south of the Mason-Dixon line, as is DC. I've seen these posts about southern Ohio, Indiana and even. . . .

It's been done!

All of these states border Kentucky, which didn't secede in any event, ditto W VA (some border with OH) and MO (some border with Illinois).
Just a slight historical correction, most of West Virginia seceded with Virginia but were forced into a new state.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:14 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,427,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
No, why would NJ wanna be in the south? Northeast is great.
I like many things about the south, one major exception being the climate. I hate heat and love snow and cold weather, so I'd probably never move there just because of that. But I like many other things, such as cuisine, culture, and the accents. I have been down south and it seems more like "home" as it were, than, say, the urban cesspool that is the NYC metro area. I identify with and feel more at ease with everything from the landscape, to the people, to the pace of life. Then there is religion, of course. And though I am not religious, I do find it laudable that people in the South, unlike the Northeast, worship something other than money. Stereotypically speaking, of course, so please don't the wrong idea. The general point is Northeast is the worst region of the country for the rat race way of life.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:37 AM

27,549 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
There are countless forums in this site about "Is Delaware part of the south?", "Is Maryland part of the south?", "Is DC a southern city?"
Once you read between the lines in these threads, it becomes clear why this is.

Washington DC, Maryland and Northern Virginia are the "new kid" on the block. This area has quickly become one of the wealthiest and most developed places in the U.S.

So naturally, the old guard wants to keep it down by calling it southern and harping on that in their minds - implying it is backwards and not in the same league as the other advanced areas in the U.S. This is their defense mechanism and the root of it all is jealousy.

Of course, this kind of thing happens from time to time throughout history. But it all comes to pass eventually.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 05-05-2014 at 08:55 AM..

Old 05-05-2014, 09:30 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Once you read between the lines in these threads, it becomes clear why this is.

Washington DC, Maryland and Northern Virginia are the "new kid" on the block. This area has quickly become one of the wealthiest and most developed places in the U.S.

So naturally, the old guard wants to keep it down by calling it southern and harping on that in their minds - implying it is backwards and not in the same league as the other advanced areas in the U.S. This is their defense mechanism and the root of it all is jealousy.

Of course, this kind of thing happens from time to time throughout history. But it all comes to pass eventually.
Oh, for pity's sake! My SIL, b. 1954, remembers segregated lunch counters in Maryland as a child. DC has long been thought of as a "southern" city, or, as John Kennedy said, a city of southern efficiency and northern hospitality. A hybrid, really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.