Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 10:07 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,834,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post

Of course one does not hang out on said beaches in the middle of winter,
IWellm then you're missing out. 'm telling ya--Mentor Headlands is a fun place in the middle of winter. We used to walk out on the ice flows. You can't do THAT in Florida!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 10:08 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,919,254 times
The beaches on the east side of Lake Michigan (on Michigan's west coast) rival any I've ever been to in Florida and Cali. (And I've been to LOTS)

Old 12-11-2007, 10:45 AM

539 posts, read 1,917,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
The Great Lakes are both, and large enough to be both. If you have never been on the beach of the Great Lakes, or have seen how much beachfront property on these Lakes are worth, then you should check it out.

Just because something doesn't have much 'worth' as CA or FL because it is warm all year round does not mean they are worthless and should be abandon to industry.

That being said, I do not agree with the actions of this mayor.

California beaches are NOT warm year round (ever been to the beach in San Francisco? The water's like 50 degrees even in the middle of the summer). Florida's beaches are extremely overcrowded and are subject to hurricanes, tropical storms, and tornadoes for most, if not all of the year. I think the Great Lakes beaches are just as nice as any beach anywhere in the country.

I grew up in Alabama and we have our beaches along the Gulf of Mexico, which is a very warm body of water. Also, it is part of the Atlantic Ocean, so it is salt water. Salt + heat = sharks. Sharks are a real threat along the Gulf beaches. Since the Great Lakes are in fact, lakes that are comprised of fresh water, you don't have to worry about ocean creatures such as sharks or even smaller, yet still potentially dangerous ones like jellyfish. And yes, the water is warm in the summertime. I'll tell anyone - I'll take the beach here in Chicago over the beaches back down on the Gulf any day. People in Alabama look at me crazy when I say that of course, but they haven't been up here so they don't know what they're missing.

As I said before, I love the idea - I just don't agree with what Waukegan (or at least the mayor of Waukegan) is trying to do. Don't tear down what's already there and making money and providing jobs - but for the areas that are not being used by industry, turn all of it into park land and recreational space.

_

Old 12-11-2007, 12:38 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,109,176 times
The only problem with the Great Lakes beaches are the e. coli levels which can shut the beaches down sometimes. Ive swam on Oak Street Beach in August once and the water was a bit chilly, but not horrible. Kinda like a cold pool. It takes your breath away at first, but after a minute it feels good.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:33 PM

41,729 posts, read 74,665,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Mentor Headlands is a fun place in the middle of winter. We used to walk out on the ice flows. You can't do THAT in Florida!
Ack! "Doing the dunes" as we used to call it is a good way to get yerself drowned!

That being said, there's plenty to do along the beaches in winter. Just walking is a pretty bracing experience on a windy day, LOL. It's not always 20 degrees and windy and/or snowy as well. But cross country skiing, hiking, etc. are all possible. The beaches are absolutely beautiful in winter as well as summer.

I'm of the firm belief that our nation's natural resources are a treasure that should be shared by everyone, not just those who can afford upscale condos. Also, there's room at the lakeshore for industry, recreation, retail, restaurants, art studios, and everything in between.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:55 PM

718 posts, read 2,680,476 times
The potential for pollution to "settle" in the lake is very great. I would be wary, even though when you stand on the beach and look into the horizon and see nothing but blue, its not an ocean.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:22 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,834,010 times
When I was a student at Northwestern, I lived in Sergeant Hall, which is right on a beautiful beach. The whole campus used it, but the people who lived in my hall practically lived there. I'll never forget the fireworks over the water for July 4th. I was so enamored by this beach that for Christmas my boyfriend gave me a Christmas tree ornament shaped like a fish.

As you can see, this little beach near Chicago was a wonderful place. After all, it started my lifelong love affair with beaches... and with an ocean-themed Christmas tree.

ps. Happy Holidays, everyone. You know you are addicted to C-D when you can't wait to turn on the computer every morning. It's like opening a Christmas gift.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:06 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,109,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatealoneskatetogether View Post
The potential for pollution to "settle" in the lake is very great. I would be wary, even though when you stand on the beach and look into the horizon and see nothing but blue, its not an ocean.
Zip it already, would ya? Good frickin grief. In many ways its BETTER than an ocean and just as beautiful. Water looks like water no matter what you think or say. And water w/o salt and nasty beasts is sure a benefit in my book.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:42 PM

718 posts, read 2,680,476 times
Woah calm down there gipper no one is here to argue with you take a chill pill. I think this issue is important. The lake in question does not get the same water flow as the ocean does leaving a potential for the pollution to sit and fester. I feel somthing should be done about its pollution. No one is talking about whos water is better than whos, my dear child...so relax! no one is trying to fight

Old 12-13-2007, 08:26 PM

86 posts, read 306,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
The beaches on the east side of Lake Michigan (on Michigan's west coast) rival any I've ever been to in Florida and Cali. (And I've been to LOTS)

Excellent point. The majority of people who speak of the perceived "ugliness" of the Great Lakes have never been there. The Great Lakes shoreline has everything from large soft sandy beaches to raw beautiful unspoiled wilderness. The Great Lakes are one of the greatest unique natural wonders of the world and it would be a crime to not treat them as such.

The only thing that the ocean has on the Great Lakes is that you don't have to wait until the dead of winter to get a wave big enough to surf on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.