Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2014, 11:32 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Mississippi was much worse than Alabama during the Civil Rights Movement, but your point is accurate. I've never been to Alabama, Mississippi, or Louisiana, but in my mind, I've always seen Mississippi as like Alabama but more rural, flat, and lacking a city the size of Birmingham. However, the two have historical differences. If I'm not mistaken, cotton and plantations were much more prominent in Mississippi, therefore Mississippi was a lot wealthier before the Civil War. Since the end of the war and the collapse of the plantation system, Mississippi has been stricken by poverty (poorest state in the nation as we speak) and horrible race relations. In other southern states along with the rest of the nation, Mississippi and Alabama (along with West Virginia, also) have been the butt of jokes and stereotypes.
Mississippi was the largest cotton producer on the eve of the Civil War. But Alabama and Georgia were not far behind. Cotton production in South Carolina was much more extensive than it was in North Carolina, but as you can see in the map below, there were few "major production areas" in either state in 1860.

http://users.humboldt.edu/ogayle/CottonProduction.png

Today, Texas is by far and away America's leading cotton producer. Mississippi, Arkansas and Georgia are next in line.

U.S. Cotton Production by State - Directories & Buyers Guide - Cotton Council International

Mississippi had the most lynchings of any state (581) followed by Georgia (531), Texas (493), Louisiana (391) and Alabama (347). Virginia (100), North Carolina (121) and South Carolina (160) had the fewest among all states that seceded from the Union.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 12:15 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,244,077 times
The Tuskegee lynching statistics are unrelated to the black population of the states. When you look at the numbers in relation to black population you get a slightly different story.

1. MS
2. KY
3. AR
4. FL
5. TN
6. GA
7. LA
8. TX
9. WV
10. AL
11. MO
12. OK
13. SC
14. VA
15. NC
16. MD

Old 05-16-2014, 12:18 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Mississippi was the largest cotton producer on the eve of the Civil War. But Alabama and Georgia were not far behind. Cotton production in South Carolina was much more extensive than it was in North Carolina, but as you can see in the map below, there were few "major production areas" in either state in 1860.

http://users.humboldt.edu/ogayle/CottonProduction.png

Today, Texas is by far and away America's leading cotton producer. Mississippi, Arkansas and Georgia are next in line.

U.S. Cotton Production by State - Directories & Buyers Guide - Cotton Council International

Mississippi had the most lynchings of any state (581) followed by Georgia (531), Texas (493), Louisiana (391) and Alabama (347). Virginia (100), North Carolina (121) and South Carolina (160) had the fewest among all states that seceded from the Union.
Yes, cotton was more prominent in the Deep South states that seceded before Ft. Sumter like Mississippi, South Carolina, Georgia, and Alabama. Tobacco was bigger in Upper South states like North Carolina and Virginia. It seemed like southern states further to the west had the most lynchings. Don't know any info on Florida, but with the exception of Georgia, it's interesting that the southern states along the east coast like Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina had the fewest lynchings among the former Confederate states. Virginia and North Carolina doesn't surprise me, both states were always more progressive than the rest of the south and race relations weren't as bad. In fact, the Freedom Riders in 1961 didn't experience any violence in those two states. South Carolina having 39 more than North Carolina is a bit surprising though. I read once that during the Civil Rights Movement, people considered Edgefield County, SC to be "the most violent county in the south" when it came to race relations. South Carolina, home to Strom Thurmond, definitely wasn't far behind Mississippi, Georgia, and Alabama dealing with race relations and integration.

Old 05-16-2014, 12:28 PM

Data was retrieved from the Tuskegee Institute per the asterik at the bottom of the page (for Blacks only).

Mississippi - 539
Georgia - 492
Texas - 352
Louisiana - 335
Alabama - 299
Florida - 257
Arkansas - 226
Tennessee - 204
South Carolina- 156
Kentucky -142
North Carolina - 86
Virginia - 83

Lynching Statistics

Old 05-16-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Yes, cotton was more prominent in the Deep South states that seceded before Ft. Sumter like Mississippi, South Carolina, Georgia, and Alabama. Tobacco was bigger in Upper South states like North Carolina and Virginia. It seemed like southern states further to the west had the most lynchings. Don't know any info on Florida, but with the exception of Georgia, it's interesting that the southern states along the east coast like Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina had the fewest lynchings among the former Confederate states. Virginia and North Carolina doesn't surprise me, both states were always more progressive than the rest of the south and race relations weren't as bad. In fact, the Freedom Riders in 1961 didn't experience any violence in those two states. South Carolina having 39 more than North Carolina is a bit surprising though. I read once that during the Civil Rights Movement, people considered Edgefield County, SC to be "the most violent county in the south" when it came to race relations. South Carolina, home to Strom Thurmond, definitely wasn't far behind Mississippi, Georgia, and Alabama dealing with race relations and integration.
Strom was getting it on with a Black woman. So race relations seemed to be happening hot and heavy down there.

Durham was always known as a good place for Blacks. North Carolina, I believe, has more historically black colleges than any other state. But Black people were catching hell in North Carolina too, which is why so many of them left. Wilmington went from being a majority-black city to a majority-white city literally overnight. And NC, like SC, made it public policy to reduce its number of Blacks.

Part of the reason why SC may have had more lynchings than NC was that there were more Blacks there between 1910 and 1930 (which was when most lynchings occurred). SC was a majority-black state up until the 1930 Census.

Old 05-16-2014, 12:45 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,244,077 times
As I said before, the Tuskegee numbers are just raw numbers, not related in proportion to the population in each individual state. Black people in Kentucky were in far greater risk
in regard to lynching than in Georgia.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:00 PM

Jesse Helms was cut from the same cloth as Strom Thurmond. The only difference was that Strom was around longer to do more damage. I throw New Gingrich into the same bucket.

The Old Carolinians

Old 05-16-2014, 01:23 PM

51 posts, read 135,769 times
Quote:
I wouldn't go that far. Atlanta is a huge city with loads of transplants/outside influences, but it still feels pretty southern to me, especially regarding the history of Atlanta. Look at Stone Mountain right outside the city! I'm from the Triangle area of NC and it's kind of the same story, this area is still southern but it's just a southern area with many transplants and a fast growth rate. Charlotte also falls into the same category, and all three of these areas are similar. The term many people use to describe these three areas is "New South."
I understand but it seems to me like native georgians have kind of always had that sense of superiority that isn't as easily found in other southerners. Stone Mountain and South GA have good people but Atlanta and its suburbs have their own distinct culture which gives rise to a new brand of elitism.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:33 PM

Some more demographic data. This time for NC, SC and VA. This is the % among non-Hispanic Whites.

North Carolina:

American - 18.51%
Scotch Irish - 4.44%
German - 16.98%
Irish - 13.96%
English - 15.42%
Scottish - 3.91%

South Carolina:

American - 20.35%
Scotch Irish - 4.01%
German - 15.89%
Irish - 15.21%
English - 14.39%
Scottish - 3.32%

Virginia:

American - 17.00%
Scotch Irish - 2.74%
German - 18.95%
Irish - 16.13%
English - 17.45%
Scottish - 3.55%

Not that different among the largest non-White Hispanic groups in each state. The American/Scotch Irish/English % in NC, SC, and VA, respectively is 38.37%, 38.75% and 37.19%. German ancestry in VA is a tad bit higher than what it is in the Carolinas. All three states have more German ancestry than Georgia (14.43%), Alabama (11.15%) and Mississippi (9.97%). Maybe this is a function of Virginia and the Carolinas having been settled earlier?

Old 05-16-2014, 05:16 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Strom was getting it on with a Black woman. So race relations seemed to be happening hot and heavy down there.

Durham was always known as a good place for Blacks. North Carolina, I believe, has more historically black colleges than any other state. But Black people were catching hell in North Carolina too, which is why so many of them left. Wilmington went from being a majority-black city to a majority-white city literally overnight. And NC, like SC, made it public policy to reduce its number of Blacks.

Part of the reason why SC may have had more lynchings than NC was that there were more Blacks there between 1910 and 1930 (which was when most lynchings occurred). SC was a majority-black state up until the 1930 Census.
I don't know about the most, but we certainly have a lot of historically black colleges here in NC. The four students who kicked off the Greensboro sit-ins in 1960 attended NC A&T. SNCC was formed in Raleigh at Shaw University. I agree about Durham, NC Central is also over in Durham.

North Carolina was better than the Deep South states, but you're right, it wasn't heaven. We're lucky we had such a liberal governor (Terry Sanford) during the heat of the Civil Rights Movement. One fact that most people in NC don't know about (or try to forget) was that there was more KKK activity in NC than the rest of the south combined, in terms of membership. However, I don't think violence from the Klan was a huge problem like it was in a state such as Mississippi (ever see "Mississippi Burning"?) but more Klan activity than the rest of the south combined is nothing to be proud of. Monroe, a town outside Charlotte that was actually the hometown of Jesse Helms, was notorious for Klan activity and race relations. If I'm not mistaken, half of the towns population was in the Klan during the late 50's and early 60's. You're right that many blacks left NC, and I'm sure many of them moved north to Washington, DC.

Jesse Helms? Oh lord, all those guys are dead now (Jesse Helms, Strom Thurmond, Lester Maddox, Ross Barnett, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.