Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 05:45 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I don't believe in suppressing it, but it is offensive and distasteful because of its association with supporting slavery. The confederate flag is not just about heritage.

This is the U.S.A. not the C.S.A.

I find the American flag offensive. it represents school shootings, killing innocent people w/ drone strikes and 150,000-250,000 deaths in Japan from 2 atomic bombs.
Therefore nobody should fly the American flag.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:32 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,864,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I find the American flag offensive. it represents school shootings, killing innocent people w/ drone strikes and 150,000-250,000 deaths in Japan from 2 atomic bombs.
Invincible, you understand that the foundation of the United States is not based on school shootings, drone strikes and dropping atomic bombs right?

Old 05-16-2014, 06:40 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Invincible, you understand that the foundation of the United States is not based on school shootings, drone strikes and dropping atomic bombs right?
Exactly.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:03 PM

12,905 posts, read 18,756,320 times
The answer to the original question is that it depends on whom you ask. Let me get this straight: I just perused 11 pages of this thread and it wasn't even mentioned that the state of South Carolina flies the Confederate battle flag on the front lawn of its capitol in Columbia? That wasn't Columbians' idea. The City of Columbia presented a proclamation saying the flag should be moved to a museum, but that fell on deaf ears.

It's a square flag, but the rectangular version of it used to fly on top of the state house until the legislature reached a compromise that took it off the capitol dome and placed it on the capitol grounds, which some say is a worse spot because you notice it more. To some it represents racism, slavery and the Ku Klux Klan. To others it represents the flag their ancestors fought and in some cases died under in the Civil War.

I see both sides, being a direct descendant of three Confederate soldiers that I know of, but also being empathetic to whoever sees racism when they look at the flag. If I had my druthers it would be retired to a museum. As far as an individual displaying a Confederate bumper sticker or flying a flag from their vehicle or yard is concerned, that's their business.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:14 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,493,017 times
I live in the Triangle area of NC, and Confederate flags are a lot more common in rural areas. It's not too common to drive through the suburbs of Raleigh or Durham and see Confederate flags. One place you will see 'em is at the State Fairgrounds in Raleigh. I believe there is a booth at the Flea Market that sells Confederate flags, t-shirts, license plates, and even NC flags with the Confederate emblem. Also, it's impossible to walk around the NC State Fair without seeing Confederate flags, either on prizes, t-shirts for sale, etc. So for the Triangle, and possibly the whole state of NC in general, seeing the flags isn't common in urban areas. However, it's a different story in rural areas.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:25 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:

Old 05-19-2014, 09:32 AM

202 posts, read 320,239 times
To say slavery had nothing to do with it is just as ignorant as saying slavery had everything to do with the secession of the southern states.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:35 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
What? i'm just choosing the most negative thing i can to represent a piece of cloth... like everyone else here.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:44 AM

130 posts, read 243,546 times
Growing up in Georgia I've seen a few but atleast in my city contrary to popular belief you very seldom see a confederate flag. Now if you go out in the sticks like a county up or across the bridge into Alabama you'll see plenty. Matter fact the only time I really even see confederate flags is when I'm in Alabama. I mean sure every now and then you'll see someone with a sticker that says preserving you're heritage is not hatred or something like that with a rebel flag on it but that's once in a blue moon. I can't speak for anywhere else though truthfully I tend to tune out once someone whether it's someone from up north or the south mentions the civil war anyway, it's 2014 not 1864.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:20 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
What? i'm just choosing the most negative thing i can to represent a piece of cloth... like everyone else here.
Don't put words in the rest of our mouths. I find your statement appalling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.