Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 09:16 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDS30 View Post
I don't have any beef with VA. I think it fair to say though that most people would say Virginia is southern, not northern. Living in RVA, most people think it is a southern city in a southern state
When's the last time you lived in RVA? I'm from there. And while we consider ourselves and our state southern, I can assure you that that "most people" is probably a slighter majority than it would've been a decade ago, and any decade going backwards. Richmond definitely is Southern--and definitely has Northern tendencies...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 07:16 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Interesting read.

Quote:
Maryland is a Southern state, as it always has been. But you could forgive a young person today for believing that the Mason-Dixon Line begins just a little farther down Interstate 95.

We have been limited for too long by an unnaturally small vision of the South as a closed society, artificially constrained by a long-lingering legacy of intentionally cultivated racial division. This vision has not served the interest of black working people, the white working class population that has always lived alongside them or the waves of immigrants that continue to arrive from Mexico and Central America.

Maryland is moving forward today because working people of all races are increasingly coming together across old lines of separation and division to move our state forward. In other words, we are succeeding because of our diversity, not in spite of it.
The new South - Baltimore Sun

Old 05-12-2014, 07:46 AM

27,544 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDS30 View Post
I don't have any beef with VA. I think it fair to say though that most people would say Virginia is southern, not northern. Living in RVA, most people think it is a southern city in a southern state
I agree with this. The reality is that even people who live in Northern Virginia - of which I know quite a lot - usually think of themselves as being separate from the rest of Virginia.

I've also noticed that the feeling is mutual as there is a stark socio-economic, demographic and political difference between the two... it is the same difference that exists all over the United States: urban=liberal rural=conservative (except for New England)

This is just how it is in 2014. Virginia as a whole is appropriately an upper southeastern state.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:32 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,399,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I agree with this. The reality is that even people who live in Northern Virginia - of which I know quite a lot - usually think of themselves as being separate from the rest of Virginia.

I've also noticed that the feeling is mutual as there is a stark socio-economic, demographic and political difference between the two... it is the same difference that exists all over the United States: urban=liberal rural=conservative (except for New England)

This is just how it is in 2014. Virginia as a whole is appropriately an upper southeastern state.
Maryland and Delaware are the Upper Southeastern states.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:37 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,654,825 times
Because most people on the East Coast are very provincial/parochial, don't travel much, and don't stray too far from home. Believe it or not, most people in the Northeast have never really left, esp. in the smaller cities and rural communities, save, perhaps, a trip or two to the theme parks in Florida. Eek.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:25 PM

68 posts, read 109,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
When's the last time you lived in RVA? I'm from there. And while we consider ourselves and our state southern, I can assure you that that "most people" is probably a slighter majority than it would've been a decade ago, and any decade going backwards. Richmond definitely is Southern--and definitely has Northern tendencies...
I live in RVA right now actually, and have been here for the last 14 years. I think that the people in Virginia think that there state is southern, but people outside of Virginia assume that it is northern because of northern Virginia and how it has changed.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:26 PM

68 posts, read 109,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
no there not. Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, and North Carolina are the Upper Southeastern States.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:56 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
Quote:
Where would this board be without you consistently reiterating and reinforcing the message that Maryland is a southern state in each and every single post for the past 6 years. I just want to personally thank you because we would probably forget.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:52 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
How old were you when you learned this? It sure made an impression.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:36 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I wasn't aware the author Benjamin Todd Jealous was the Czar and had the ultimate authority on what defines a Northern and Southern city. That itself is interesting indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.