Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 06:27 PM

399 posts, read 814,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post

I was surprised, though, that it's also Italian in PA. I thought there were more Germans and Irish in PA.
There are more Germans and Irish in PA but they came earlier than Italians and are well assimilated now so most of them speak English. In fact, I've never met anyone of Irish descent who can speak Irish Gaelic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 06:55 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,397,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Me too. Suspect it's changed in the last decade. Also Western Massachustts has few Portuguese speakers (except for Ludlow). Living in Eastern MA would give a different impression.
True, though Eastern Mass has the lion's share of the population. I think the Portuguese/Brasilian/Cape Verdean/Azorean population in Massachusetts is around 800,000, with probably half or so actually speaking Portuguese (I think near 100% of the Brasilian pop is speaking Portuguese, many of whom are Portuguese-only).

Old 05-16-2014, 07:05 PM

5,508 posts, read 8,695,746 times
Having more French speakers (after the Spanish and English ones) in Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Louisiana, I would have suspected. I can even see Mississippi, where I bet some Cajun descendants live.

But in West Virginia and the Carolinas? Never would have guessed. I've been going to the Carolinas and stopping in W. Virginia for decades and have never, ever heard anyone speak any French. In fact I've heard more Native Americans talking their language (Cherokee?) than I've heard anyone speak French in the Carolinas. (Though I've always wondered why the river in Asheville is called French Broad River. There must be a story behind that.)

Oh well. Live and learn.

Old 05-17-2014, 12:31 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,887,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
There are more Germans and Irish in PA but they came earlier than Italians and are well assimilated now so most of them speak English. In fact, I've never met anyone of Irish descent who can speak Irish Gaelic.
Oh me either, but my point was that I thought there were far less Italians in PA than Germans and Irish, and I really meant German. Not even sure why I put Irish in there, as I expected the language to be German, but still. I guess I associate Philly at least more with Irish than Italian and the rest of the state more German.

Old 05-17-2014, 12:40 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,209,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
I think it's also related to the fact that "Chinese" isn't a single language; someone from China could be a speaker of Cantonese, Hakka, Hokkien, standard Mandarin, etc. I don't know how the US Census Bureau counts it, but the use of Chinese languages is extremely common, at least here in SF.
That's what the article said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Oh me either, but my point was that I thought there were far less Italians in PA than Germans and Irish, and I really meant German. Not even sure why I put Irish in there, as I expected the language to be German, but still. I guess I associate Philly at least more with Irish than Italian and the rest of the state more German.
Pittsburgh has a lot of Italians, Polish and Irish, plus the Germans. This is for Allegheny County:
http://www.city-data.com/county/Alle...County-PA.html

Most common first ancestries reported in Allegheny County (%):
German (20%)
Italian (15%)
Irish (13%)
Polish (7%)
English (5%)
United States or American (4%)
Slovak (3%)

Old 05-17-2014, 09:16 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,348,145 times
French Creole in Florida = Haitians.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:31 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,555,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Yea, the Gujaratis in the NYC metro area are mostly in New Jersey and the state map shows it. NYC [where most of the state's Indian population is, though there's some in neighboring Nassau County] has a large Bangladeshi (Bengali speaking) population. Gujaratis tend to own small businesses (convenience stores, motels) more than most Indian groups, I suspect that's Gujaratis are the#1 Indian ethnicity as there's probably not much else of an Indian population otherwise.

As someone from a small touristy town in Pennsylvania said: there's Muslim immigrants here, they own the gas stations; Indian immigrants own the motels. Didn't sound like there were other Muslim/Indian immigrants that were there for other reasons.

Gujarati's are mainly in the NYC metro. A good amount of them, while Gujarat, migrate from Mumbai. Gujurats are known to take positions in Finance and start businesses. They tend to flock to NYC since it's more like Mumbai. That's been my experience. I've never seen direct migration out of Gujarat. It's always through Mumbai.

It's actually interesting. In Dallas the prominent Indian group is by far Telugu speakers from Audra Pradesh. When I was in Atlanta, this was also the case as well. However in the Bay Area the dominant Indian group are Punjabis, and I see more Pakistanis in the Bay.

If we go by NY alone, I would say that Hindi would be a spoken third language. There are a lot of Indian immigrants in the business world, I've worked with a ton over the years. Most Indians speak Hindi at the very least. The only noticeable group in US who don't speak Hindi are people from Tamil Nadu. But they aren't as common.

Old 05-17-2014, 12:39 PM

47 posts, read 120,560 times
It looks like Spanish is everywhere.

Old 05-17-2014, 02:10 PM

9,030 posts, read 10,417,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I thought Mandarin was more dominant
Not in the US, at least not historically. Most immigrants to the US came from Cantonese-speaking areas. And then there was the wave of immigrants from Hong Kong in the 1980s and 1990s. Mandarin speakers are relatively recent arrivals.

Old 05-17-2014, 04:30 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,209,612 times
Why don't you guys read the article? Here's what it says: ** "For instance, some people answered the ACS with “Chinese,” while others gave specific dialects such as “Mandarin” or “Cantonese”. These were all treated as different languages in the ACS data and when constructing these maps. (See the raw data here.) New York is marked “Chinese” because more people responded with “Chinese” than any other language other than English or Spanish. If all Chinese languages (or languages under the umbrella of a larger language family) had been grouped together, the answers for many states would change. In addition, Hawaiian is listed as a Pacific Island language, so following the ACS classifications, it was not included in the Native American languages map." **
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.