Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 12:04 AM

395 posts, read 647,136 times

Advertisements

St Louis has a large German Catholic population - Also as noted by others - the small towns of the Missouri River Valley from St. Louis West to Jeff City and south from St Louis to Cape and on the Illinois side have a large Catholic presence - Often these towns will have 3 historic churches - One Catholic, one Lutheran (almost always Missouri Synod) and one UCC - United Church of Christ - Formerly the Deutsche Evangelische Kirche (very similar to Lutheran)- The Presbyterians, Methodists and others were often late comers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 12:27 PM

549 posts, read 843,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Cincinnati has a large number of German Catholics. Some came with the 48ers; some came later as a result of Kulturkampf.

Before I moved to Cincinnati, I'd never heard of 48ers or Kulturkampf. The German descendants I knew in NW Pennsylvania tended to be Protestant.
In addition to the 48ers and the Kulturkampf, we had a big wave of German immigrants in the 1950s. This aided in Cincinnati's sprawling Germanic society headquarters and multiple fests in isolated areas because it was right after the period where German-Americans in Over-the-Rhine were forced out by anti-German sentiment and a wave of Appalachians populated the central city. Cincinnati as a whole is a German city, but it's core German neighborhoods were decimated more-so than other German cities like St Louis and Milwaukee because of the successive waves of Appalachian and Southern Black migrants.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:08 PM

2,307 posts, read 3,819,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
My guess would be Wisconsin. Very significant German Catholic population there.

wisconsin is home to a lot of lutherans as is my understanding. growing up in the lutheran church we had several pastors who attended school in wisconsin and two who were home grown wisconsinites.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:09 PM

2,307 posts, read 3,819,214 times
NW and West central Ohio has a HUGE german ancestry with towns named Minster, New Bremen, Van Wert, etc.... My understanding is that many of these folk are german protestants and not german catholics.

Old 05-26-2014, 05:08 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,714,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
wisconsin is home to a lot of lutherans as is my understanding. growing up in the lutheran church we had several pastors who attended school in wisconsin and two who were home grown wisconsinites.
While I'm sure there's some German Lutherans in Wisconsin, the Lutheran influence up there owes mostly to its Scandinavian heritage. There's sort of an east/west divide in Wisconsin with Catholic (primarily German both others as well) in the eastern half and Scandinavian Lutheran in the western half.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.