Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 09:47 PM

21 posts, read 33,286 times

Advertisements

I am following up on an earlier thread insidious made regarding the location of an Asian Mecca. Is it not in someone's best interest to live in a city with a strong influence of their ethnicity's culture? For example, according to Wikipedia, the Black Mecca is described as "a city to which African Americans, particularly professionals, are drawn to live, due to some or all of the following factors:
superior economic opportunities for blacks, often as assessed by the presence of a large black upper-middle and upper class, black political power in a city, leading black educational institutions in a city, a city's leading role in black arts, music, and other culture, harmonious black-white race relations in a city."

Now, I understand that there are a TON of other factors involved in choosing where one should live such as cost of living, job location, etc. What I am asking, to be put in better terms, is should (in whatever wording) "strength of influence of certain ethnicity's culture" be set as a factor in deciding where one should live? It seems like a pretty important factor considering (as described by the Black Mecca) the network, career, political influence/interest, education, culture, etc. Therefore, disregarding the other factors I listed above such as COL, jobs, etc., Chinese people would be best served living in SF, Jews in NYC, Blacks in ATL, Cubans in Miami, etc. And obviously we already see this happening already anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 09:53 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,938,161 times
They should live there if they are attracted to that.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:15 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Default Should people live in cities with a strong influence of their own ethnicity?

It is a factor in deciding where to live, but it may not be the most important one.

For example, even though San Francisco is the "Asian Mecca," it is not the metro area where Asians have the highest median incomes or are the most educated. That would be Washington, D.C.

So, it depends on what your purpose is and what you value more. If you have more disposable income, you can travel more often to your country of choice as well.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:05 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,691 times
If they're ethnocentric, sure.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
If they're ethnocentric, sure.
I knew this was gonna come up. This has little to do with ethnocentrism and more to do with all of the indicators I listed above. Whether you like it or not, perfect multiculturalism is still a liberal pipe-dream in 2014, although we're doing it better than everyone else (except Canada). Living in a place with people of the same ethnicity helps tremendously in terms of career mobility among other indicators of well-being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It is a factor in deciding where to live, but it may not be the most important one.

For example, even though San Francisco is the "Asian Mecca," it is not the metro area where Asians have the highest median incomes or are the most educated. That would be Washington, D.C.

So, it depends on what your purpose is and what you value more. If you have more disposable income, you can travel more often to your country of choice as well.
Can you cite that statistic? Even if it is true, I don't think it disproves my thesis. A recent Chinese immigrant is still better served living in SF than DC due to the network. The median income for Asian Americans in DC (if the statistic is true) is higher might be due to the high paying government jobs where a select few have, so the sample size is smaller than it would be in SF.

Old 05-16-2014, 12:26 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Where do we of Polish-Italian descent live?

Old 05-16-2014, 12:49 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times
^Chicago, Twin Cities, New York City

Old 05-16-2014, 01:05 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Where do we of Polish-Italian descent live?
Chicago I suppose

To the original question. No, they 'should not.' One should not feel pressured into ghettoisation in America, they should integrate, although there's nothing wrong per se with wanting to move to an area with lots of your country folk.

Old 05-16-2014, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Chicago I suppose

To the original question. No, they 'should not.' One should not feel pressured into ghettoisation in America, they should integrate, although there's nothing wrong per se with wanting to move to an area with lots of your country folk.
Lol, what do you mean by integration and ghettoisation? Are you aware that East Asians, Indians, Cubans, Nigerians, Mormons, and Jews out earn your average "white" male? What would integration do for me? Lower their income and social standing?

Old 05-16-2014, 02:28 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltohang View Post
Lol, what do you mean by integration and ghettoisation? Are you aware that East Asians, Indians, Cubans, Nigerians, Mormons, and Jews out earn your average "white" male? What would integration do for me? Lower their income and social standing?
LOL, where's your dictionary? One definition of "ghetto" is a concentration of any like peoples - nationality, religion, race, college students ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
^Chicago, Twin Cities, New York City
And Cleveland, Buffalo, Philadelphia, Erie, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Milwaukee ... and dozens of others.

One example which renders this thread kind of pointless.

Last edited by Ohiogirl81; 05-16-2014 at 02:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.