Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2018, 07:03 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,313,324 times

Advertisements

Central PA in no way has a "southern accent", I grew up there and go back monthly.

The 'Alabama' reference was made back in the 90s by James Carville (a southerner) to describe the political climate of Pennsylvania, and how the state is anchored by 2 large democratic metros with a largely conservative T up its middle.

He coined the Alabama phrase, but I have always been very annoyed at this reference as places like Lancaster and Harrisburg literally have no southern 'heritage' or culture on any level, and state college is as far from southern as you can get.

There are economically depressed parts of rural PA, but to be honest these places are no different than any other rust belt regions of rural america ranging from Wisconsin to New Hampshire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 07:06 AM

6,931 posts, read 218,395 times
Definitely Ohio!

Old 02-06-2018, 07:07 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
I guarantee you, at least 90% of people in this region would have reactions ranging from neutral to positive upon seeing the Texan who wants to display the Texas flag at his son's graduation ceremony in the Northeast. Mostly the reactions might be neutral to slightly amused, perhaps, but certainly not negative. I seriously find it hard to fathom these reactions. Far more people would be enamored of such display of local pride, than disgusted. But you would be impolite to someone else based on their region of the country?!
This Texan thinks the whole flag thing is ridiculous and I can't imagine doing such a thing myself. Nor do I know, among the thousands of Texans I know, ANYONE who would do such a thing - anywhere. Heck, we'd think it was stupid HERE, at a Texas graduation.

Just for the record.

That being said, I doubt anyone I know would be rude to the guy - we'd just be bemused. As in, "Look at that crazy ****."

Old 02-06-2018, 07:15 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I think the main thing about your position on this is that many people around your area aren't around Texans a lot. Most are fine and gracious people UNTIL you get them talking about Texas as compared to another place. Then it's a different story.

They will first give you a litany of reasons why whatever city they live in in Texas is better than (in your case) Philly. And then they will move on to why Texas is better than (in your case) Pennsylvania. Being from Oklahoma we get heavy doses of that as we interact with them so much.
Well, Texas IS better than Pennsylvania.

Just kidding. That being said, I will say this much as a Texas transplant who has lived happily in Texas for 25 years - Texas IS a unique state, and unique when it comes to state pride. But it's not my favorite state. My favorite state is to me the quintessentially American state of Virginia. But there are so many great places to live in the US. Another favorite of mine is Ohio. I also really like North Carolina, Maryland, and then on the other side of the continent, I like Oregon and Washington state and parts of California too, though I admit I prefer the east coast or Gulf coast.

Texas people are generally terrific though - super friendly, hardworking, tough but generous, kind but blunt, not syrupy sweet but good hearted, etc. Those are stereotypes but I'm speaking generally. It IS a unique culture and it was a culture shock to me at first, but I grew to absolutely love this state and the people of Texas.

I don't get the whole Homecoming mums thing though. That's weird.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:21 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Central PA in no way has a "southern accent", I grew up there and go back monthly.

The 'Alabama' reference was made back in the 90s by James Carville (a southerner) to describe the political climate of Pennsylvania, and how the state is anchored by 2 large democratic metros with a largely conservative T up its middle.

He coined the Alabama phrase, but I have always been very annoyed at this reference as places like Lancaster and Harrisburg literally have no southern 'heritage' or culture on any level, and state college is as far from southern as you can get.

There are economically depressed parts of rural PA, but to be honest these places are no different than any other rust belt regions of rural america ranging from Wisconsin to New Hampshire.
That's not true Grafton and Coos County NH are actually more democratic than state average, it's the Suburban areas that are the republican strongholds.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:55 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
That's not true Grafton and Coos County NH are actually more democratic than state average, it's the Suburban areas that are the republican strongholds.
The Lakes Region of Carroll and Belknap Counties are more republican than the state average, but the total populations in those towns are a small percentage compared to the southern cities and towns in Rockingham and Hillsborough counties.

Old 02-10-2018, 03:56 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The Lakes Region of Carroll and Belknap Counties are more republican than the state average, but the total populations in those towns are a small percentage compared to the southern cities and towns in Rockingham and Hillsborough counties.
Hillsborough has Nashua and Manchester but the actual Suburban towns, Amherst, Pelham, etc. are more Republican than Berlin, Pittsburg, Hanover, etc. in the NW (and the Keene area in the SW)

Old 02-11-2018, 10:51 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geographybee View Post
I Agree with your ideas. PA is a mix of true Northeastern culture in the Philly area, Appalachia south of Pittsburgh, the Midwest in Erie, almost New England-y in parts of NEPA, and more southern in rural PA in between Philly and Pittsburgh. State College is the classic American college town, and Scranton feels like the Rust Belt, as does Erie. Pittsburgh is a hybrid between the Midwest, Appalachia, and the Northeast. Very interesting culture in that city. Philadelphia has true coastal elites, and Central PA has true Southern culture, and politics. PA is a hybrid state that has extreme pockets of Northeastern, Appalachian, and Southern culture. It’s New England-y/Upstate New York culture and Midwest culture are definitely more reduced and less concentrated.
Central Pennsylvania is pretty far removed from most would consider the true "South," though I understand some of the parallels (much more rural, agrarian, and conservative than the rest of the Northeast). It's certainly the most culturally conservative part of Pennsylvania, but that's entirely because of the strong Anabaptist/Southern Germanic influences, which is very much NOT a Southern trait.

I also think, generally, this discussion of "regional" cultures is misguided and based on a vague sense of stereotypes. What is "Northeastern" culture? What is "Midwestern" culture? What is "Southern" culture? These are questions to which no one has a coherent answer.

I will end with the fact that while I think Pennsylvania was the quintessential "American" state back in the colonial and early American era, today our country is far too dispersed and much more Western-oriented for Pennsylvania to represent it.

Somewhere like Missouri, which truly is the most argued state for being at a cross-section of cultures and regions (with Eastern, Western and Southern influences), makes the most sense to me.

Last edited by Duderino; 02-11-2018 at 11:10 AM..

Old 02-11-2018, 11:08 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geographybee View Post
Yeah, it is to infer redneck country and Southern-like accents. That is exactly why. I don’t understand the whole outrage over this comment. I have always heard that this part of PA is like Alabama culturally and statistically.
That was very much a tongue-in-cheek quote by James Carville that has no bearing on reality. As you note, it refers to the propensity of Republican voting in that area, but what folk don't realize is that, unlike Alabama which was once a "Dixiecrat" state, Pennsylvania been a bastion of Republicanism for over a century. Here's a look at the election results from 1900 showing the % of the vote going to the Republican candidate (McKinley) in that election to prove it:

As you can see, there's a clear North-South delineation.

As to the "Southern" accent you've alluded to in a place like Pennsylvania, I've actually heard this come up before, and it's because Pennsylvania (at least the southern half) is home to the "Midland" dialect, which does have some dialectical similarities to the true Southern accent. You can actually hear the same in Philadelphia all the way to the Pittsburgh area. Particularly for someone with a "Northern" dialect ear, from a place like Upstate NY or New England, they will pick up on the difference and associate it with "Southern," but it's still distinctly different.

Here's a dialect map to demonstrate my point:

Old 02-12-2018, 12:32 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,053,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
That was very much a tongue-in-cheek quote by James Carville that has no bearing on reality. As you note, it refers to the propensity of Republican voting in that area, but what folk don't realize is that, unlike Alabama which was once a "Dixiecrat" state, Pennsylvania been a bastion of Republicanism for over a century. Here's a look at the election results from 1900 showing the % of the vote going to the Republican candidate (McKinley) in that election to prove it:

As you can see, there's a clear North-South delineation.

As to the "Southern" accent you've alluded to in a place like Pennsylvania, I've actually heard this come up before, and it's because Pennsylvania (at least the southern half) is home to the "Midland" dialect, which does have some dialectical similarities to the true Southern accent. You can actually hear the same in Philadelphia all the way to the Pittsburgh area. Particularly for someone with a "Northern" dialect ear, from a place like Upstate NY or New England, they will pick up on the difference and associate it with "Southern," but it's still distinctly different.

Here's a dialect map to demonstrate my point:

Yeah even the Philly and Pittsburgh accents have similarities with Southern tongues. What they don't have is the drawl that makes an accent characteristically Southern. Without a drawl they can't be called Southern.

Hell most Midland accents sound Southern to Northerners. Most Midland accents sound Northern to Southerners.

The Midland accent is actually the one closer to Standard American due to this middle phonology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.