Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which U.S. City do you WISH could be Rebuilt from the Ground-UP?
New York 2 4.00%
Los Angeles 7 14.00%
Chicago 0 0%
Houston 9 18.00%
Philadelphia 2 4.00%
Phoenix 3 6.00%
San Antonio 1 2.00%
San Diego 0 0%
San Jose 0 0%
Austin 1 2.00%
Jacksonville, FL 0 0%
Indianapolis 0 0%
San Francisco 0 0%
Columbus 1 2.00%
Ft Worth, Tx 0 0%
Charlotte 0 0%
Detroit 12 24.00%
El Paso, Tx 0 0%
Memphis 0 0%
Boston 1 2.00%
Seattle 0 0%
Denver 0 0%
Washingto, DC 1 2.00%
Nashville 0 0%
Baltimore 1 2.00%
Lousville 1 2.00%
Portland 1 2.00%
Oklahoma City 1 2.00%
Milwaukee 1 2.00%
Las Vegas 0 0%
Albuquerque 0 0%
Tucson AZ 0 0%
Fresno, Ca 1 2.00%
Sacramento, Ca 1 2.00%
Long Beach 0 0%
Kansas City 0 0%
Mesa, AZ 0 0%
Virginia Beach 1 2.00%
Atlanta 2 4.00%
Raleigh 0 0%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 03:30 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,250,378 times

Advertisements

Birmingham. Despite having an exceptionally low population density (save for a small handful of inner suburbs), it has some pretty bad traffic for a city of its population. The infrastructure is outdated and probably isn't meant to serve 1M+ on a daily basis. Outside of the main interstate arteries there just aren't a lot of other ways of getting to where you need to go. And many of the more heavily-traveled roads are two-lane when they should be four-lane, four-lane when they should be six-lane, etc. The morning/evening rushes are disproportionately bad because a single accident can cripple the flow of traffic, and accidents unfortunately are pretty commonplace. It's not a huge metro, but it's getting large enough to at least warrant the consideration of alternate methods of transportation such as light rail, but people would rather spend their money on season football tickets than to invest in better methods of transportation. They seem perfectly content sitting in traffic for hours and hours a week in their gas-guzzling pickups and SUVs. It can sometimes take an hour just to move three or four miles if there's a bad enough accident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 05:03 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,224,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Detroit Michigan lacks any redeeming value. Razing it and replacing it with a new city would be a big win for that region. Such a valuable and strategic location for a city to be wasted on that place. This poll is no contest, Detroit Michigan is the winner.
You just lost all credibility, Detroit has some of the most amazing skyscrapers from the early 20th century, and a very interesting history. What has Detroit done to you to for you to be so bitter and hateful towards the city? Troll!

Old 06-02-2015, 08:35 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,230,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
If I was the Chairman of the U.S. Department of Transportation, I'd write PennDOT a blank check to overhaul some of the highways in Pittsburgh and Philadelphia.
This. The only problem I have with my hometown has to do with public transportation. Here is what I would do:

Highways

I-95: I would love to see I-95 entering a tunnel between Oregon Avenue and Porter Street in South Philly. It should then emerge from said tunnel around Arch Street. Instead of just opening up the waterfront between Market and Spruce, it should be open between Market Street and at least Snyder Avenue.

I-76: The Schuylkill Expressway is too narrow, and understandably so: where else could we place it? It would be awesome to have it widened, but it would be an engineering challenge. South of South Street, I believe that the Schuylkill Expressway should have been kept on the left bank of the Schuylkill River. Almost no one would be affected if the Schuylkill Expressway was to have been moved to the left bank of the river.

I-676/US 30: There is no reason why the Vine Street Expressway should remain uncovered. It should be covered up until 9th Street. This way, we could return Logan Circle into a true square. We could also create some green space. The interchange between the Vine Street Expressway and the Ben Franklin Bridge should also be reworked so that there is no need to exit onto 5th Street.

Philadelphia International Airport: PHL needs its facilities expanded. Its current runways need to be extended and an additional one needs to be constructed. This way, we can handle more traffic.

Heavy Rail

I think our subway system should look like this:
Philadelphia Subway Proposal : Scribble Maps

Random Stuff

-I love the history of the refinery in South Philly and realize that it is an economic engine to the region, but it acts as a turn-off to people coming in through PHL.

-The inner roads of the Ben Franklin Parkway should be converted to green space.

-Logan Circle should be retrofitted to a square.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:09 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
San Francisco. Such a beautiful area ruined by mankind.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:44 AM

27,164 posts, read 43,857,618 times
How did Orlando miss this poll? It's largely a steaming pile of poor urban planning full of half empty strip centers and inadequate road infrastructure.

Old 06-20-2015, 12:27 AM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Houston

Old 06-20-2015, 12:36 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
NONE of them; they are simply the end product of uncountable human interactions, and everything there is there (for the time being, at least) as a result of those decisions. Like it or not, it's the end product of our activity, and those who daydream of "change" are simply busybodies frustrated by their own desire for power -- and lack of reasoning.

When I want your opinion in my life, I'll ask for it.

Old 06-20-2015, 02:04 AM

505 posts, read 501,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
NONE of them; they are simply the end product of uncountable human interactions, and everything there is there (for the time being, at least) as a result of those decisions. Like it or not, it's the end product of our activity, and those who daydream of "change" are simply busybodies frustrated by their own desire for power -- and lack of reasoning.

When I want your opinion in my life, I'll ask for it.
You know this is pretend right? Nobody is suggesting these cities be leveled and began again.

Ain't nothing wrong with using a little creative imagination

Old 06-20-2015, 06:33 AM

4,999 posts, read 9,143,305 times
I chose other : Birmingham ,Al. I wish the architecture of the city resembled that of Birmingham, England. I think it would have been cool to have another Alabama city outside if my town of Mobile with european influinced architecture.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:00 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajams22 View Post
You know this is pretend right? Nobody is suggesting these cities be leveled and began again.

Ain't nothing wrong with using a little creative imagination
Until that "creative imagination" manifests itself in a desire to use the state's monopoly to tax and coerce in order to force the taxpayer to pay for unsustainable fantasies. The "Urban Planning" faux forum is completely infested with it, and I submit Detroit -- a once-great engine of productivity destroyed by unrealistic ideas and short-term politically-, rather than entrepreneurially-driven thinking -- as Exhibit 'A'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.