U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-14-2017, 08:08 PM
 
Location: "The Dirty Irv" Irving, TX
2,880 posts, read 1,329,819 times
Reputation: 3252

Advertisements

I grew up in Boise, it's a pretty big College Football town, espessily since the 2007 Fiesta Bowl. I live in Dallas and it's all Cowboys all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-14-2017, 09:41 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,661 posts, read 27,118,214 times
Reputation: 9591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I grew up in Boise, it's a pretty big College Football town, espessily since the 2007 Fiesta Bowl. I live in Dallas and it's all Cowboys all the time.
I tell people this all the time. Dallas is unlike other Southern cities. It's a Pro sports town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2017, 09:25 AM
 
9,412 posts, read 9,575,655 times
Reputation: 5837
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJFTW View Post
This is all bull****. I've followed the ratings closely and am a member on HFBoards. Boston people come in all the time saying ratings are down for the Bruins. Someone posted the same link on here somewhere not long ago.

The Celtics drew less than the Revolution in 2004. It's a niche basketball and hockey town entirely depending on how the Celtics and Bruins are doing.

All things being equal, Boston is Red Sox first.
Rating are down to the 4th best in the country. Beyond the NHL College Hockey is big, it's on NESN often and this past weekend about 20K went to see their teams play in Fenway Park and the Beanpot tournement regularly sells out the Garden.
And if you are comparing the Revolution to the Celtics popularity you clearly know nothing about the Boston area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2017, 10:59 AM
 
43 posts, read 22,631 times
Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Rating are down to the 4th best in the country. Beyond the NHL College Hockey is big, it's on NESN often and this past weekend about 20K went to see their teams play in Fenway Park and the Beanpot tournement regularly sells out the Garden.
And if you are comparing the Revolution to the Celtics popularity you clearly know nothing about the Boston area.

Im talking about how low Celtics tv viewership was just ten years ago. The Revolution viewership was higher. Once I find the link ill post it.

Face the facts. When the Celtics and Bruins suck, interest is very low and attendance suffers. When they are contenders, they sell out. Sounds very fickle of a fanbase to me. The attendance figures are there. Also, Bruins tv viewership was one of the bottom 5 last year in decrease %. People are tuning them out. Bruins missed the playoffs last two years. I know my hockey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2017, 11:14 AM
 
9,412 posts, read 9,575,655 times
Reputation: 5837
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJFTW View Post
Im talking about how low Celtics tv viewership was just ten years ago. The Revolution viewership was higher. Once I find the link ill post it.

Face the facts. When the Celtics and Bruins suck, interest is very low and attendance suffers. When they are contenders, they sell out. Sounds very fickle of a fanbase to me. The attendance figures are there. Also, Bruins tv viewership was one of the bottom 5 last year in decrease %. People are tuning them out. Bruins missed the playoffs last two years. I know my hockey.
The Bruins averaged a 3.43 rating last year over 82 games. (Down 19% from 2015 but still #4 in the US) The Revolution got a 3.17 on the MLS Cup, so it's not even comparable. The Bruins have 1.1 million twitter followers, the Revolution have 86k. Again relative popularity is not even close.
To call Hockey niche is Boston is stupid. It isn't like Philly or Washington were the NHL is the extent of Hockey is an NHL team,there is Hockey in Boston from Top to bottom, Peewee, High School, College, and Pro. I literally don't know a person who has never been to s hockey game at some level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2017, 01:22 PM
 
1,209 posts, read 885,257 times
Reputation: 1883
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Really? So are those Packers, Bears, Vikings, Colts, Lions, Steelers, Eagles, Redskins, Giants and Patriots and even Bills fans, just figments of an American imagination? That ain't even mentioning college football, which may not be big in New England and parts of the Mid-Atlantic but is still big in the Midwest.

If anything the west is less football crazy than states east of the Rockies.
Agree. That's not to say there aren't passionate football fans in LA and San Diego, but if you want to avoid talking about football or any other sports, it's pretty easy. If a team is doing well, they'll still generate some buzz, but if they are not good, a large majority of people will ignore them. There is just too much other fun things to do. Even winners sometimes have trouble selling out in LA with all the competition for entertainment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2017, 07:46 PM
 
43 posts, read 22,631 times
Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
The Bruins averaged a 3.43 rating last year over 82 games. (Down 19% from 2015 but still #4 in the US) The Revolution got a 3.17 on the MLS Cup, so it's not even comparable. The Bruins have 1.1 million twitter followers, the Revolution have 86k. Again relative popularity is not even close.
To call Hockey niche is Boston is stupid. It isn't like Philly or Washington were the NHL is the extent of Hockey is an NHL team,there is Hockey in Boston from Top to bottom, Peewee, High School, College, and Pro. I literally don't know a person who has never been to s hockey game at some level.
Basing team popularity off of social media is laughable. The Bruins (and Blackhawks) have more followers than the Maple Leafs and Canadiens on Instagram. I guess Boston is more of a hockey town than Montreal and Toronto, right? Gimme a break. All it means is that Boston won a Cup during the social media age (same for Chicago). It's no barometer for how large a fanbase is. You couldn't give Blackhawks or Bruins tickets away over five years ago, now they're all massively popular. Wonder why. Could it be they've won championships? (Blackhawks three, Bruins one)

Hockey exists in Philadelphia at all levels, that's absurd. The best American goalie of all-time (Mike Richter) is from Abington, PA (Philly). He went to prep school there. Roller hockey is massive in Philly as well. I would argue more than Boston. NJ has prep schools as well. I follow hockey religiously. It seems like you're just assuming things based off of Boston's reputation without actually considering it's kind of fallen off. Recent data shows the area has plateaued for producing NHL talent and USA hockey participation. PA's enrollment grew primarly because of SEPA. Jack Eichel is the only player to write home about from the Boston area (Kreider too if he could get his head out of his ass) and a very average defensemen in Keith Yandle is your best blueline production. Johnny Gaudreau and Bobby Ryan are Philadelphia area products. Historically speaking, yes, Boston is known for hockey, but it has since plateaued while other places have caught up. You clearly don't follow hockey, and it's the only sport I follow, so stick to whatever other sport instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2017, 07:51 PM
 
43 posts, read 22,631 times
Reputation: 29
Canadian hockey teams have very weak social media presence in general compared to American teams. I guess America is more of a hockey country than Canada!

Awesome logic there.

Philadelphia doesn't have attendance issues like Boston does when their team does poorly, I might add.

They have unwavering support. Win or lose, they sell out. Boston does not. It's a very fickle fanbase in Boston.

The Bruins Cup in 2011 disguises a lot of fairweather tendencies, and in the THN fanbase rankings, they knocked the Bruins for it, rightfully so.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2017, 09:07 PM
 
9,412 posts, read 9,575,655 times
Reputation: 5837
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJFTW View Post
Basing team popularity off of social media is laughable. The Bruins (and Blackhawks) have more followers than the Maple Leafs and Canadiens on Instagram. I guess Boston is more of a hockey town than Montreal and Toronto, right? Gimme a break. All it means is that Boston won a Cup during the social media age (same for Chicago). It's no barometer for how large a fanbase is. You couldn't give Blackhawks or Bruins tickets away over five years ago, now they're all massively popular. Wonder why. Could it be they've won championships? (Blackhawks three, Bruins one)

Hockey exists in Philadelphia at all levels, that's absurd. The best American goalie of all-time (Mike Richter) is from Abington, PA (Philly). He went to prep school there. Roller hockey is massive in Philly as well. I would argue more than Boston. NJ has prep schools as well. I follow hockey religiously. It seems like you're just assuming things based off of Boston's reputation without actually considering it's kind of fallen off. Recent data shows the area has plateaued for producing NHL talent and USA hockey participation. PA's enrollment grew primarly because of SEPA. Jack Eichel is the only player to write home about from the Boston area (Kreider too if he could get his head out of his ass) and a very average defensemen in Keith Yandle is your best blueline production. Johnny Gaudreau and Bobby Ryan are Philadelphia area products. Historically speaking, yes, Boston is known for hockey, but it has since plateaued while other places have caught up. You clearly don't follow hockey, and it's the only sport I follow, so stick to whatever other sport instead.
You are wrong. High school hockey takes priority over high school basketball in MA the state Championship for Hockey as at the Garden while Basketball is exiled to Worcester. Sorry but you are wrong and it's not even close.
I suppose you think Nashville is a better hockey town than Ottawa because they have higher NHL attendance.
Can you point to a non NHL annual hockey event on the scale of the Hockey East or Beanpot Tournements anywhere else in America?
And social media is reasonable when the Revolution are a degree of magnitude under the Bruins it isn't 1.1 vs 975k the Bruins have a 1M follower margin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2017, 10:54 PM
 
43 posts, read 22,631 times
Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
You are wrong. High school hockey takes priority over high school basketball in MA the state Championship for Hockey as at the Garden while Basketball is exiled to Worcester. Sorry but you are wrong and it's not even close.
I suppose you think Nashville is a better hockey town than Ottawa because they have higher NHL attendance.
Can you point to a non NHL annual hockey event on the scale of the Hockey East or Beanpot Tournements anywhere else in America?
And social media is reasonable when the Revolution are a degree of magnitude under the Bruins it isn't 1.1 vs 975k the Bruins have a 1M follower margin.

What am I wrong about? The Bruins and Celtics attendance is fickle unless they're doing well. Attendance figures and data proves this. You have nothing to fall back on here.

Ottawa's numbers are low because their arena is literally in the middle of nowhere in Kanata. They're in talks to build a new arena in downtown Ottawa, which makes way more sense.

Yes, the North Star College Cup, which has a higher annual attendance than the Beanpot. Minnesota high school games sell out the XCel Energy Center. Does Boston high school hockey sell out TD Garden?

Minnesota and Michigan hockey destroy anything that comes out of Massachusetts, and even Upstate NY at this point. Patrick Kane is probably gonna go down as the best American player of all-time.

Massachusetts has produced I believe the third most NHLers from the States, but the vast majority are tweeners and average players with some HoF exceptions like Roenick, Guerin and Tkachuk.

Boston has more followers than Montreal and Toronto, so I guess Boston is more of a hockeytown than Toronto and Montreal. Give me a break. This is why so many people knock Boston for it's arrogance. Your head is up your ass. Can you even name the Bruins point leader this year without looking it up? Can you even name five current Bruins? I can, and I'm not even a Bruins fan. Post this on HFBoards, you can be the comic relief in an instant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top