U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-17-2017, 08:49 AM
 
9,410 posts, read 9,572,984 times
Reputation: 5830

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJFTW View Post
Wow, just wow. You're actually questioning Philadelphia fans' sports knowledge?

This is precisely why Boston is looked at for being so arrogant and full of themselves.

Flyers fans are way more knowledgeable about the game than Bruins fans I've met. Most Bruins fans I know just became fans.

Go ahead and walk around 30th Street Station asking what offsides is. I hope you get a nice Philadelphia welcome for it, having the audacity to even ask such a thing.
Not flyers fans random Philadelphians. I went to aHigh School of just under 1,000 students and there was a Boys Varsity, JV, and Freshman team as well as a girls team.
I know people who schools in NJ, PA, IN and OH and on Long Island that didn't even have a boys Hockey team. So I know for a fact Hockey is much more prevelant in New England than it is down in the Mid Atlantic or Lower Midwest and its actually a fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-17-2017, 08:52 AM
 
43 posts, read 22,616 times
Reputation: 29
HFBoards - View Single Post - Post-Game Talk: GAME #47 - B's hit rock bottom - Brooklyn 4 BRUINS 0 F

HFBoards - View Single Post - Post-Game Talk: GAME #47 - B's hit rock bottom - Brooklyn 4 BRUINS 0 F
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2017, 08:55 AM
 
9,410 posts, read 9,572,984 times
Reputation: 5830
That Bruins Forum has a total of 1.26 million posts on the same site the Flyers forum has 668,000 and the Capitals forum has 333,000, and thr Stars have 140,000 the so unless they don't have computers down in PA it appears the Bruins have a broader fanbase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2017, 08:57 AM
 
43 posts, read 22,616 times
Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Not flyers fans random Philadelphians. I went to aHigh School of just under 1,000 students and there was a Boys Varsity, JV, and Freshman team as well as a girls team.
I know people who schools in NJ, PA, IN and OH and on Long Island that didn't even have a boys Hockey team. So I know for a fact Hockey is much more prevelant in New England than it is down in the Mid Atlantic or Lower Midwest and its actually a fact.

Again, you're underestimating the presence of hockey in SEPA, which is seeing USA hockey growth. There are plenty examples of non-hockey markets and clueless fanbases. Philadelphia is not one of them. There are a ton of players from the Philly area, past and present. Top picks (B Ryan, Gaudreau) and old (Richter).

I'm from Upstate NY. Well aware of the hockey culture. Whenever I head to Boston, it's passive. Philadelphia is much easier to strike up casual conversation about hockey, especially the Flyers.

All my friends in Philly played ice or roller growing up. The Flyers are higher on the sports totem pole in Philadelphia than the Bruins are in Boston. Boston is more transient, and like someone else said, more likely to follow the Celtics post-grad than the Bruins.

What's next? Patriots fans are more knowledgeable than Eagles fans?

Philadelphia and Boston are both knowledgeable, but trying to make Boston out like it's more knowledgeable? That's hilarious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2017, 09:00 AM
 
43 posts, read 22,616 times
Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
That Bruins Forum has a total of 1.26 million posts on the same site the Flyers forum has 668,000 and the Capitals forum has 333,000, and thr Stars have 140,000 the so unless they don't have computers down in PA it appears the Bruins have a broader fanbase.


Red Wings have 481,000 posts.

Devils have 748,000 posts.

Blackhawks have 516,000 posts.

Wild have 374,000 posts.

Cute theory. Almost as good as that Twitter one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2017, 09:34 AM
 
9,410 posts, read 9,572,984 times
Reputation: 5830
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJFTW View Post
Red Wings have 481,000 posts.

Devils have 748,000 posts.

Blackhawks have 516,000 posts.

Wild have 374,000 posts.

Cute theory. Almost as good as that Twitter one.
Lets look at local Colleges by Marquee Sports
Boston College:ACC Football, ACC in Basketball, HEA Hockey, Football/Hockey #1
Boston University: No Football team, Patriot League Basketball, HEA Hockey, Hockey #1
Northeastern: No Football, Colonial Basketball, HEA Hockey, Hockey #1
Harvard: DIAA Football, Ivy Basketball, ECAC Hockey Basketball #1
Bentley:Only DI sport is Atlantic Hockey, Hockey #1
Merrimack: Only DI sport is Hockey, Hockey #1
Umass-Lowell- No football team, NE 10 Basketball, HEA Hockey, Hockey #1

See a trend? Little Football, lots of Hockey
Philly: 0 DI Hockey programs (unless you count Princeton)
Washington: 0 DI Hockey Programs
Baltimore: 0 DI Hockey Programs
Chicago: 0 DI Hockey Programs
See a trend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2017, 10:10 AM
 
43 posts, read 22,616 times
Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Lets look at local Colleges by Marquee Sports
Boston College:ACC Football, ACC in Basketball, HEA Hockey, Football/Hockey #1
Boston University: No Football team, Patriot League Basketball, HEA Hockey, Hockey #1
Northeastern: No Football, Colonial Basketball, HEA Hockey, Hockey #1
Harvard: DIAA Football, Ivy Basketball, ECAC Hockey Basketball #1
Bentley:Only DI sport is Atlantic Hockey, Hockey #1
Merrimack: Only DI sport is Hockey, Hockey #1
Umass-Lowell- No football team, NE 10 Basketball, HEA Hockey, Hockey #1

See a trend? Little Football, lots of Hockey
Philly: 0 DI Hockey programs (unless you count Princeton)
Washington: 0 DI Hockey Programs
Baltimore: 0 DI Hockey Programs
Chicago: 0 DI Hockey Programs
See a trend?

College is one small part of the sports landscape, and you're grasping at straws if you think the Bruins fickle attendance doesn't reflect fairweather hockey tendencies. We're somehow supposed to believe everyone cares about hockey like they do in Minnesota but their biggest pro team with the most history couldn't even sell out games. Sorry.

I know very well of the hockey history in the region, but its 2017. Other states are booming in terms of USA hockey enrollment (relatively speaking, more specifically western states) as well as other states while MA has plateaued. You're relying so much on reputation.

As if the same argument would hold weight if Dallas or Houston didn't sellout their NFL games despite the large presence of college football, which is 100x the magnitude of college hockey which is niche.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2017, 10:19 AM
 
9,410 posts, read 9,572,984 times
Reputation: 5830
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJFTW View Post
College is one small part of the sports landscape, and you're grasping at straws if you think the Bruins fickle attendance doesn't reflect fairweather hockey tendencies. We're somehow supposed to believe everyone cares about hockey like they do in Minnesota but their biggest pro team with the most history couldn't even sell out games. Sorry.

I know very well of the hockey history in the region, but its 2017. Other states are booming in terms of USA hockey enrollment (relatively speaking, more specifically western states) as well as other states while MA has plateaued. You're relying so much on reputation.

As if the same argument would hold weight if Dallas or Houston didn't sellout their NFL games despite the large presence of college football, which is 100x the magnitude of college hockey which is niche.
Niche and regional are not the same thing. College Hockey attendance in the Boston area (excluding UNH) is generally in the mid 500,000s. That is equivalent to a lower tier NHL team like the Islanders or Hurricanes.
And yes, low Attendance at Falcons games are often attributed to Atlanta being in SEC country, and the Pacers are in direct computation with Purdue, IU and Norte Dame.
In 1991 the Minnesota North Stars averaged 7,838 fans per game, and averaged under 14,000 14/26 years. does that mean that the Minnesota doesn't love hockey?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2017, 10:35 AM
 
Location: Boston, MA
8,789 posts, read 7,725,657 times
Reputation: 7699
I grew up playing hockey my entire life from like 7-18 in Cleveland. Cleveland is a decent city for hockey. But we'd always go play in Detroit and it felt like that place was more into hockey. Played some teams in Minnesota and Ontario as well. The quality of their teams just was exceptional. Not that they were better athletes or in better shape, or faster or whatever, but it was obvious that their hockey IQ was just 25 points higher than ours. Always knew exactly what to do at exactly the right time.

For what it's worth, no city really knows anything about hockey overall. I bet the VAST majority of Bostonians couldn't tell you what offsides is, especially considering how many actually could accurately describe what a foul ball or field goal are (I consider those to be equally basic in baseball and football as offsides is to hockey). I also think this is true of all other major cities in the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2017, 10:46 AM
 
9,410 posts, read 9,572,984 times
Reputation: 5830
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I grew up playing hockey my entire life from like 7-18 in Cleveland. Cleveland is a decent city for hockey. But we'd always go play in Detroit and it felt like that place was more into hockey. Played some teams in Minnesota and Ontario as well. The quality of their teams just was exceptional. Not that they were better athletes or in better shape, or faster or whatever, but it was obvious that their hockey IQ was just 25 points higher than ours. Always knew exactly what to do at exactly the right time.

For what it's worth, no city really knows anything about hockey overall. I bet the VAST majority of Bostonians couldn't tell you what offsides is, especially considering how many actually could accurately describe what a foul ball or field goal are (I consider those to be equally basic in baseball and football as offsides is to hockey). I also think this is true of all other major cities in the USA.
I would doubt there are many people in the country who don't know what a foul ball is. Just from playing wiffle ball on the beach, or kickball in gym class, or little league people would know what a foul ball is. Unlike Hockey where there are many fans who have never played, in Baseball there are tons of people who have played baseball or a derivative (Softball, Kickball, Wiffleball, Matball) but aren't fans.
Field goals maybe because while touch/flag football may be something people playin gym class they probably would not have a kicker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top