Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 03:46 PM

6,879 posts, read 8,202,340 times

Advertisements

Sacramento has good share of Victorian Homes. Considering how small it was compared to the the East Coast and Midwest cities in the first half of the 20th Century, and then it became one of the first sunbelt cities to grow primarily in the suburbs.

It's managed to keep a good share of Victorian Homes and almost all that have not been renovated to their original design are now being preserved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 05:10 PM

5 posts, read 7,279 times
Detroit

Old 07-01-2014, 10:49 PM

462 posts, read 716,809 times
Salt Lake City, Los Angeles.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller5918 View Post
Detroit
Well if architecture is form + function, Detroit gets a deduction because so many buildings no longer have a function.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:16 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,833,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamtonfordbury View Post
Salt Lake City, Los Angeles.
I find Salt Lake City interesting. I've been there several times though admittedly it is almost always on my way up to or back from the slopes so I'll just say that I really haven't experienced it much. But I'm also a bit of a city and architecture junkie and never have I heard this city being brought up as having some particular stand out examples of architecture, whether municipal, commercial or domestic.

I've been to the Temple, the Capitol and a few neighborhoods but nothing has really stood out in my mind. What is it that I don't know about? I'm always up for learning about some cool architectural buildings or districts.

Old 07-02-2014, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I find Salt Lake City interesting. I've been there several times though admittedly it is almost always on my way up to or back from the slopes so I'll just say that I really haven't experienced it much. But I'm also a bit of a city and architecture junkie and never have I heard this city being brought up as having some particular stand out examples of architecture, whether municipal, commercial or domestic.

I've been to the Temple, the Capitol and a few neighborhoods but nothing has really stood out in my mind. What is it that I don't know about? I'm always up for learning about some cool architectural buildings or districts.
The Salt Lake Temple of course
Beehive House and Lion House (pretty unique in that it housed one family)
Hotel Utah / Joseph Smith Memorial Building
Tabernacle
Utah State Capitol
Conference Center
Cathedral of the Madeleine
Victorian homes of the Avenues
Salt Lake City and County Building
Abravanel Hall
Salt Palace
Various buildings on University of Utah campus
Alfred McCune Home
Woodruff-Riter-Stewart Home
Thomas Kearns Mansion

More here:
Buildings and sites of Salt Lake City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't know if it's underrated, but there are some nice looking ones. Maybe the clear air and mountains make everything look better.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:51 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,145,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFromLouisville View Post
Dawn.Davenport ,

Whoa Whoa whoa there buddy... I'm not sure where you got your data from, but Louisville Kentucky has the Largest Collection of Victorian Houses in the Entire Country. Not to discredit you or anything, It's just that I have to fact check here. The Old Louisville neighborhood in Louisville Kentucky is the 3rd Largest Historic District in the nation and within this district is the Largest collection of Victorian style architecture of any place in the country. This district also has the largest collection of Residential homes with stained glass windows of any other place in the nation. Thanks, Hope this is enlightening.
Sources people!

Quote:
"The extent to which any one is the "largest surviving example" is debated, with numerous qualifications. The Distillery District in Toronto, Ontario contains the largest and best preserved collection of Victorian-era industrial architecture in North America.[citation needed] Cabbagetown is the largest and most continuous Victorian residential area in North America.[citation needed] Other Toronto Victorian neighbourhoods include The Annex, Parkdale, and Rosedale. In the USA, the South End of Boston is recognized by the National Register of Historic Places as the oldest and largest Victorian neighborhood in the country.[1][2] Old Louisville in Louisville, Kentucky also claims to be the nation's largest Victorian neighborhood.[3][4] Richmond, Virginia is home to several large Victorian neighborhoods, the most prominent being The Fan. The Fan district is best known locally as Richmond's largest and most 'European' of Richmond's neighborhoods and nationally as the largest contiguous Victorian neighborhood in the United States.[5] The Old West End neighborhood of Toledo, Ohio is recognized as the largest collection of late Victorian and Edwardian homes in the United States, east of the Mississippi.[6] Summit Avenue in Saint Paul, Minnesota has the longest line of Victorian homes in the country."
Victorian architecture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-02-2014, 06:35 PM

5 posts, read 7,279 times
Quote:
Well if architecture is form + function, Detroit gets a deduction because so many buildings no longer have a function.
The city center is quickly growing and is actually a relatively vibrant area...

Old 07-02-2014, 07:58 PM

676 posts, read 953,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miller5918 View Post
The city center is quickly growing and is actually a relatively vibrant area...
That wasn't the impression I got when I was there in September 2013. I was wandering around downtown during business hours, and it was dead. Almost no foot traffic anywhere. I was also in Midtown at night and it was dead, but it was a Wednesday night.

But, the architecture was incredible! Forget about function.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:11 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,352,293 times
Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.