Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 07:39 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

God didn't make no junk! I agree with SWB.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:28 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
Britney Spears qualifies. Yet she has money and lives among the wealthy. But basically the term is a slur and people who use the term are usually classified in the same lot as those who use racial slurs.

People should be viewed by the way they treat and respect others - regardless of where they live, how they dress or how much money they make.

Last edited by texas7; 12-27-2007 at 08:37 PM..

Old 12-27-2007, 09:05 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gv0928 View Post
Most of New Jersey.

Just kidding. lol
Funny, I was going to say Staten Island lol

Old 12-27-2007, 09:23 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
Here is a picture of me and the misses on our wedding day

j/k, my dog is better lookin

Old 12-29-2007, 06:22 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
oh, dear . . . .

Old 12-29-2007, 07:57 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
Default A Bit of History

Can I get historical on you? Ol' Massa Tom Jefferson proposed a nation of yeomen farmers, not folks macking machines in cities. So the south was envisioned as a place of large agricultural sections overseen by benevolent owners. Remember, most folks in the south did not own slaves -- they were too poor. After the Was of the Southern Elite, the southern states was ruled, somewhat feudally, by what they considered the "first families" who looked down their noses at the working white folks and who then created that awful term.

So, in the Southern Aristocracy, there was the gentry and then there was those farmworkers and tenant-farmers on the bottom. Those folks were considered the trouble-makers. Unfortunately, there were a lot more of them than the elite ruling class, and those folks could vote. So in the mid-20th century there were politicians (who liked to get re-elected) whose views echoed the lower stratum of this aristocracy. It was not rich white folks who were thumping Freedom Riders.

This view of an aristocratic class and a bunch of proles led to the fact that mandatory education and state colleges lagged in the south, there was very little taxation of corporations for things like roads and rural electrification. I'm surprised communism did not make more headway in the south because there sure was a downtrodden set of white folks there.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:22 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,122,294 times
Thumbs up All depends on your geographical location

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Can someone please clarify to me just what the term "white trash" really means? I've heard this phrase tossed around like candy on here, and to me it sounds pretty severe.
To answer this intelligently one has to qualify each answer given by the location of the poster. Northerners have a tendency to call everyone who lives in a trailer park white trash while some others think that the show, The Dukes of Hazard" depicts white trash life.

Most southerners will tell you that white trash has less to do with your economic status than it does your morals, thus some with a moderate to good income can be white trash while others with a low income are not.

It's like the question, "What's the difference between a redneck and a good ole boy?"

To this North Carolinian white trash/black trash/brown trash are those who are not physically or mentally clean and take pride in being uneducated, immoral, unlawful and disrespectful to everyone around them...including property and animals.

My two cents.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:08 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Can someone please clarify to me just what the term "white trash" really means? I've heard this phrase tossed around like candy on here, and to me it sounds pretty severe.
White trash? I'm not sure but if you live in a liberal town it probably can't be in with the glass, plastic, cans, food or newspapers, must be bundled with string...and it's probably picked up every other Thursday as long as it's in a green trash can with a lid and left at least two feet from the curb.

Old 12-30-2007, 12:09 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,396,136 times
A lot of people like to think that hillbillies are white trash. I for one think that's a bunch of crap. White trash in my book are racist whites, bottom line, no questions ask. Class has nothing to do with it. If your personality and beliefs are discriminatory, I believe that makes one white trash, of course if that person is white. If they aren't white, then they are whatever color trash of their race...not intended as a joke, nobody take offense please. To me, discriminatory beliefs make one the equivalent of "trash."

Old 12-30-2007, 12:16 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,389,597 times
Trash comes in all colors, not just white.
You can find black, brown, yellow and red among with the combination of those colors in your local garbage dump!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.