U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2014, 04:07 PM

190 posts, read 234,314 times

Advertisements

I don't mean to discourage you. It's a big world and I really believe it's good to get out there and experience it! If you have the means and opportunity, definitely go on a road trip down South!!!

I lived in North Ridgeville and worked in North Olmsted. I went to night school on W 150th St. and I tried to see as much of the city as possible. Understand I was 18/19 years old, only had lived in North Carolina until then, never had driven in snow, and was living with some family who had moved there from Baltimore, MD. At a time (like now) where everyone, especially young, tended to move away from NE Ohio. People gave me crazy looks for moving there from NC. And I think that close-knit bond is why they were so open and welcoming to me. I've lived all over since and I've never had people take me in like they did in the Cleveland area.

I understand why you would want to move away. It is fairly unique though - there is a lot to the city and the COL is in many ways crazy low. Most young people/couples I knew (in early 20's) bought their first house instead of renting. You can't find that in other parts of the country. For better or worse.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 05:35 PM

5,909 posts, read 9,113,716 times
Quote:
It's a right-wing paradise literally everywhere in Dixieland
Hyperbole much? obviously Jenni has not traveled much.

I expect such rationalizations from a minnesotan who is trying to rationalize living in ice and snow but you, Daniel? Turn on cable channel Channel 12 and watch your metro's main city council. Oh wait they've gone through all the inclusiveness a couple years ago but are going strong on the green thing.

Did you know that all of TN's cities above 100K have democratic mayors and all have liberal enclaves.

I'll reccomend Franklin for the OP. It is a prosperous Nashville suburb with great schools but you are close enough to the culture and dining of Nashville - even though some of it is run by liberals.

Old 05-26-2014, 06:50 PM

12 posts, read 12,233 times
I'd be open to Oklahoma City. I'm open to a lot of it. I'm like, should I live in this city or that city? Or how about that city over there? There's a lot more to this world than Cleveland, OH.

My move is based on political and religious reasons for the most part, but there's other reasons too. I guess it's more of that I wanna be around people like me who are the majority, and not split, or not some over here and some over there.

I just don't think I fit in here at all. I feel like most of the conversations I'm having I'm having to bite my tongue because there's no reason to get into an argument and I do not agree with the person I'm talking to at all. Especially when they sit there and talk about how God doesn't exist and whatever else. I don't sit there and bash what they believe. I accept them for whatever floats their boat, yet I have to sit there and have them tell me how I'm wrong for my beliefs. The people I know are the types to bash your opinions for a good 10 minutes and tell you why you're so wrong and it's just down right annoying. I try to do meetup groups, and go to different churches, and volunteer, but I just don't seem to be fitting in.

There's other stuff to, like people here will complain about a beer being $3.00 at a bar, which to me is not expensive at all. They'll go to Browns games and drink all Sunday, even though the football games here are not fun to watch at all and I'd rather watch a good game than drink. They'll complain about a $30 cab ride and insist on drinking and driving and think I'm lame for wanting a cab or car service or that I'm a square when I tell them don't drink and drive. They think the public transit system here is good, which it's better than some cities, but it's really not that great. When I tell them I went somewhere for the weekend, like NYC or whatever, it blows their mind that it was just a weekend trip and not a once a year vacation or anything. Maybe it's a Midwest thing, but it's just not my cup of tea at all. Also too, it would be nice to live in a city that had a nice jazz scene. There's two sort of jazzy places, but they really don't even play jazz that much. One's in the bad part of town, and the other is kind of okay, but it's just the one in the whole city. And none of it is actual any kind of nice jazz just people doing cover songs, which is okay I guess. There's sometimes jazz at the art museum, and sometimes a jazz concert at one of the music venues, but that's few and far between too.

I just need a change. Being in hot weather, and around people who would be surprised if you didn't go to church, and who are overall friendly in demeanor, and don't complain about everything sounds like heaven to me.

Also too I really do hate the cold. So does my 63 lb Boxer/Shepherd mix. She never stays outside for more than a minute or so to do whatever when it's cold out. I don't blame her at all. I try to put sweaters on her and I try to cover her big Shepherd ears to help keep her warm, but she goes inside just as fast. It seems like her ears are total frozen after being outside for only a minute. I'm probably being silly, but I just feel bad. Like neither of us is enjoying ourselves in the cold so let's go romp around in the nicer weather.

I think there's way more out there that would fit me and her than where we're at right now.

Old 05-26-2014, 06:56 PM

12 posts, read 12,233 times
Oh no you aren't discouraging me at all Behan! It was just cool to hear a different point of view.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:14 PM

190 posts, read 234,314 times
My dark horse recommendation would be Old Metairie or North Shore (Mandeville etc), Louisiana.

Both have a small-town type feel, are removed from all the craziness found in New Orleans (North Shore more so), but are close enough that all the great sports, music, food etc is just a short drive away. The lake is right there and there's plenty of great nature to be found nearby. It's hot but I never found it too bad living in N.O. It's Louisiana so the school system is what you make of it. I knew a good number of people who grew up on the North Shore and they were all happy, successful, and well adjusted. There are a lot of great incentives/grants found in La. for local students. Folks in Louisiana aren't the best drivers but the traffic/parking situation is better than most big cities in the South. If you lived in Old Metairie you'd be a short bike-ride from the Canal St. streetcar, which isn't great as far as getting to work, but for night life is the best public transportation I've found in the South. You do have to worry about hurricane season but it is a very unique place and there is plenty of fellowship (Catholic or Protestant) to be found.

St. Joseph's in New Orleans is also my absolute favorite church nationwide. For many personal reasons but it's historic & beautiful. There are many great churches to be found down there.

Last edited by behan; 05-26-2014 at 11:28 PM..

Old 05-27-2014, 04:06 PM

6,964 posts, read 7,824,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Hyperbole much? obviously Jenni has not traveled much.

I expect such rationalizations from a minnesotan who is trying to rationalize living in ice and snow but you, Daniel? Turn on cable channel Channel 12 and watch your metro's main city council. Oh wait they've gone through all the inclusiveness a couple years ago but are going strong on the green thing.

Did you know that all of TN's cities above 100K have democratic mayors and all have liberal enclaves.

I'll reccomend Franklin for the OP. It is a prosperous Nashville suburb with great schools but you are close enough to the culture and dining of Nashville - even though some of it is run by liberals.

Yes your right about the city government being democrat, the mayor is a liberal democrat. However I am outside the city where it is definitely conservative. You can find enclaves of liberalism in the south, just like you can find enclaves of conservatism in the liberal northeast. However the generalization of the south being conservative is true. If you want to live in the south, and in a liberal area it can be done. The larger cities and areas around colleges are more liberal. Ashville NC is in fact quite liberal. Knoxville however while having some liberalism in the city government is at best a moderate area in the city, and the surrounding areas are very very much "red state". All the OP needs to do is make sure they are not inside the city limits of most large cities or college towns, and they will likely not be governed by liberals anymore. No matter what the OP would escape the liberalism of his current state government, and the frustration of having their vote not count in presidential elections as their state rubberstamps the liberal candidate against his/her values. I agree with you about Franklin by the way, nice area.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:12 PM

12,414 posts, read 10,742,087 times
I've heard this is becoming a lot more of a trend with people moving to areas that are more in line with their political and religious leanings. I don't think it bodes well for unity. Compared to just about every other 1st world nation the US is the most divided politically. The Fed Govt is basically paralyzed by it.

Old 05-28-2014, 04:57 AM

6,964 posts, read 7,824,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I've heard this is becoming a lot more of a trend with people moving to areas that are more in line with their political and religious leanings. I don't think it bodes well for unity. Compared to just about every other 1st world nation the US is the most divided politically. The Fed Govt is basically paralyzed by it.

I am not sure national unity is in our future. I agree with you we are divided "red state, blue state", and we are becoming more divided all the time. I have also read there are people moving with the idea of being in a place more politically and culturally in line with their beliefs. We are split between those who want the nation to hold to the values which made it great, and those who want social justice via big government. These opposing views are irreconcilable. In the past democrats and republicans were close enough to compromise, this is not the case any longer. I don't know how we can stay united as one nation like this. Look at the banter you hear in these forums between north and south, often these kinds of arguments are filled with political undercurrents. If we don't become a more politically moderate nation we may bring great harm to the union.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:30 AM

588 posts, read 1,118,681 times
OKC is a possibility. It is very conservative here. The only "somewhat" liberal areas areas are immediately north of downtown and immediately around OU campus in Norman. Even those areas are still pretty conservative compared to other similar areas in different cities. However, the rest is conservative. People go to church here. You will be invited to church here. It is a major social outing here to go to church. Unlike other cities where suburbs are conservative, even the city of OKC is conservative. We have some nice local favorite restaurants in Bricktown which is downtown OKC. The restaurant scene is continuely evolving. Grocery stores are subpar but improving. Enjoying a glass of wine? Because of the social conservatism, OK has some of the strictest alcohol laws in the nation just FYI. Might want to look at that. OKC area particularly the suburbs are a good place for a family to grow. People have good values and are friendly here. If you come here, take a loook at NW OKC, Edmond, Moore, Norman. All great areas. I have come to really enjoy OKC. Dallas might better fit you if you are yearning for a large city. There are great places in the DFW area to raise kids also!
Good luck

Old 05-28-2014, 08:49 AM

246 posts, read 276,585 times
Maybe Jacksonville, FL?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.