U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 07:46 PM

985 posts, read 1,087,791 times

Advertisements

I think the op means the relationship between Blacks and mexicans....not necessarily all Latinos. Mexicans like to ride the coat tails of Blacks and reap the benefits of Black advocacy but sit on the fence. Blacks have led and mexicans follow without putting in a proportionate amount of work. There was an article a couple of years ago about the dallas school district and how mexican leaders fear their voice will be lost due to Black flight to the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 06:48 AM

364 posts, read 1,123,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
I think the op means the relationship between Blacks and mexicans....not necessarily all Latinos. Mexicans like to ride the coat tails of Blacks and reap the benefits of Black advocacy but sit on the fence. Blacks have led and mexicans follow without putting in a proportionate amount of work. There was an article a couple of years ago about the dallas school district and how mexican leaders fear their voice will be lost due to Black flight to the suburbs.
I think you're spot on about the sentiments there, and as another poster mentioned, the tension is more so between AAs and Mexicans(not all Latinos). The tension isn't as strong in the South, but a lot of blacks do feel that "browns" are reaping the benefits of all the decades of hard work that they have put in to fight for equality. I can see why Mexican-Americans in places like Dallas are fearful of what it will be like once the black leaders all move out into the suburbs along with the other blacks.

Old 06-08-2014, 11:12 AM

47 posts, read 108,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Pulaski Player View Post
I think you're spot on about the sentiments there, and as another poster mentioned, the tension is more so between AAs and Mexicans(not all Latinos). The tension isn't as strong in the South, but a lot of blacks do feel that "browns" are reaping the benefits of all the decades of hard work that they have put in to fight for equality. I can see why Mexican-Americans in places like Dallas are fearful of what it will be like once the black leaders all move out into the suburbs along with the other blacks.
I personally think Mexican-Americans are gravitating towards whites not blacks so they have no need for fearing what black leaders do.

Old 06-08-2014, 04:26 PM

1,426 posts, read 1,884,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Pulaski Player View Post
Is it possible for you to produce a link? It would be interesting to read more about that. My knowledge is only really with the southwest and California. In the southwest,Mexicans have allied more with the Native American culture. This that dont are either very recent immigrants or see themselves as part of the original Hispanos of the area, that go back to the first towns and ranches created by the Nuevo Españoles.

In California there is some of that as well, but also a lot of cross pollination between the struggles and movements of the Asian (especially Filipino and Japanese) and Latino (mostly Mexican). In California, the farmers and farm workers were Japanese (who lost a lot during world war ii), Filipinos and Mexicans. There is an article I read about how Japanese youth during and post world war ii imitated and made their own the Chicano Pachuco culture. The farm workers union that Cesar Chavez is known for, succeeded because it crossed communities and.involved a lot of work from Filipino leaders. This cross culture relations goes back to the 1800s to the Chinese exclusion act, when lots of Chinese fled to Mexico instead of going.back to China. There they founded cities like Mexicali.

My point is that in California (the west coast in general), Mexicans/Chicanos and Asians, did their own work to.earn their rights. Our history on the west coast (again for both Latinos and Asians) goes back to the creation and settlement of.cities like Los Angeles and San Francisco. A historic case, Mendez v. Westminster (1946), where a Mexican family sued an Orange County school district for segregating their children, desegregated California schools, 8 years before it happen nationwide in Brown v Board.... In fact the case was mentioned during Brown v. Board. I wouldnt call that reaping the benefits earned by the struggle on the backs of of black folk.

Lots of Americans forget that civil rights history isnt just about Blacks and Whites. Before blacks, it was Native Americans. In the west the story has always involved Asians, Latinos and Natives...rarely blacks. The east coast and south just know.very little about our histories out west.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:53 PM

47 posts, read 108,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
Is it possible for you to produce a link? It would be interesting to read more about that. My knowledge is only really with the southwest and California. In the southwest,Mexicans have allied more with the Native American culture. This that dont are either very recent immigrants or see themselves as part of the original Hispanos of the area, that go back to the first towns and ranches created by the Nuevo Españoles.

In California there is some of that as well, but also a lot of cross pollination between the struggles and movements of the Asian (especially Filipino and Japanese) and Latino (mostly Mexican). In California, the farmers and farm workers were Japanese (who lost a lot during world war ii), Filipinos and Mexicans. There is an article I read about how Japanese youth during and post world war ii imitated and made their own the Chicano Pachuco culture. The farm workers union that Cesar Chavez is known for, succeeded because it crossed communities and.involved a lot of work from Filipino leaders. This cross culture relations goes back to the 1800s to the Chinese exclusion act, when lots of Chinese fled to Mexico instead of going.back to China. There they founded cities like Mexicali.

My point is that in California (the west coast in general), Mexicans/Chicanos and Asians, did their own work to.earn their rights. Our history on the west coast (again for both Latinos and Asians) goes back to the creation and settlement of.cities like Los Angeles and San Francisco. A historic case, Mendez v. Westminster (1946), where a Mexican family sued an Orange County school district for segregating their children, desegregated California schools, 8 years before it happen nationwide in Brown v Board.... In fact the case was mentioned during Brown v. Board. I wouldnt call that reaping the benefits earned by the struggle on the backs of of black folk.

Lots of Americans forget that civil rights history isnt just about Blacks and Whites. Before blacks, it was Native Americans. In the west the story has always involved Asians, Latinos and Natives...rarely blacks. The east coast and south just know.very little about our histories out west.
Excellent post.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:44 PM

6,350 posts, read 4,691,604 times
The cashier in K-Mart asked if I was a Mexican and I told him " no, I'm Irish "
He then asked " Black Irish? "
I said " Si "

Old 06-09-2014, 01:30 PM

1,582 posts, read 4,291,769 times
The African-American culture/ presence is stronger in Houston and Dallas in general over California (except for a few places like Oakland or South Bay areas of LA) but as a far I know the Blacks in Texas still live in different neighborhoods from the Whites, so there's no thing as blending in that sense.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:15 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,767,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuckaFree123456 View Post
I personally think Mexican-Americans are gravitating towards whites not blacks so they have no need for fearing what black leaders do.
It's not a fear of what Black leaders will do TO Mexicans, it's the fear of that Mexicans will lose their voice, do to the solidarity and the fighting side by side that Blacks had with Mexicans. When White developers start gentrifying these neighborhoods that are currently majority Hispanic, but used to be dominantly black, that's a real fear for many Hispanics. The same way many Blacks were priced out, the same could happen to Hispanics across the West and South. As immigration decreases, and gentrification increases, we may see neighborhoods that were once 80% Black, that turned 50% Hispanic during the immigration boom of the 80"s, 90's, and 00's, we may see those same neighborhoods turn-up their White population, and price Hispanics out. Basically what's happening is, reverse White Flight. The inner cities across America are being gentrified, as more Blacks get pushed to the outskirts. Wealthier and younger whites are flooding the inner cities in droves. While Blacks find a place to lay their heads on the outskirts and burbs, the newly(relatively) arrived Hispanic migrants will be priced out, the same way Blacks were priced out of the cities, and will lose the voice they had in the Black leaders.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:25 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,767,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post

Yeah, this is all very true, but you're talking about the Southwest and Westcoast. In the South(Georgia, NC, SC, VA etc) where most of the Mexicans are recently arrived, they don't have the history of Raza Political Movements that Hispanics in California, New Mexico, and Arizona have had. Thus this has lead to many Mexicans out here(in the Southeast) to be shielded under the umbrella of Black political leaders. In a way, the Blacks took the Mexicans under their wing out here. If that black voice leaves, than I can see why some Hispanics would be worried.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:47 PM

3 posts, read 3,147 times
This is very true! I'm from Texas and when i was in Jr. High and High school the black guys would pick about 3 days through out a calender school year called "Black Friday". On "Black Fridays", all of the football players, thug, and gangsta types would all wear black shirts and shoes and beat-up all of the Mexicans and non-blacks at the school just to let them know who runs the neighborhood and who ran the school yards. It used to get so BAD and out of control, that the whole city would hear about it(some came over to help) and the parents and older family members would sometimes get into altercations in the streets. And all of the local news crews would be all over the hood asking residents questions about the beatings. In the early 90's, it sucked being a Mexican on those "Black Fridays".s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or