U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 09:08 AM

1,261 posts, read 1,483,731 times

Advertisements

It sounds like there is plenty of skilled and unskilled labor opening up in south Louisiana with the refinery construction along the coast down there. Unemployment in south Louisiana is low right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 01:17 PM

21,237 posts, read 30,495,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
To college
Yeah, that's not exactly a guarantee anymore and a great way to accumulate a lot of debt.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:37 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,057,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Yeah, that's not exactly a guarantee anymore and a great way to accumulate a lot of debt.
Pick the right major, meaning *not* Psychology, Political Science, English, Art History, et al.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:22 PM

183 posts, read 238,315 times
Quote:
Pick the right major, meaning *not* Psychology, Political Science, English, Art History, et al.
But don't pick something that you hate either. Money isn't everything. But honestly you can go anywhere and make $500 a week doing something

Old 06-02-2014, 11:06 AM

836 posts, read 859,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
If you can drive, go to almost any of the biggest cities and get a hack license. Limo and taxi drivers will easily make more than $500 a week in a big city. Hard and long work, but it can pay well, and it's far safer now that it was decades aga when crime rates were much higher.
Most taxi drivers are familiar with the area though. I'm not sure I would recommend this for someone new to an area. If the GPS fails, or roads are blocked, you will need to know how to get around it and get people to their destination one way or the other. Plus, you will be dealing with people who will mention cross streets, neighborhoods, and if you have no clue where anything is, there goes your nice tip.

As a consumer, it's really frustrating for me when I have to go back and forth with the driver about where I live. I want to be able to say XX Street & Broadway and they just know where to go. I've had a driver ask me what's the best way to get home? Tunnel or bridge? Idk... I usually take subway. I want YOU to tell ME what's the best way for me to get home...

Old 06-02-2014, 12:09 PM

56,887 posts, read 81,216,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidd_funkadelic View Post
But don't pick something that you hate either. Money isn't everything. But honestly you can go anywhere and make $500 a week doing something
^ This and it is a matter of finding the right job.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:22 PM

271 posts, read 307,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidd_funkadelic View Post
Even if you enter a professional degree (Medicine, Dentistry or nursing not included) you are still going to have some problem. Getting a job as an accountant or lawyer is not easy and even an engineering degree is no guarantee anymore. I do agree with you that degree in The Humanities and Social science is worthless if you don’t know someone, lucky, graduates from a top school or is among the best in your class. This guy wants to make 2000 a month. In the old days he would just have get a job at the factory floor and he start at 2500 a month and get a trade degree on the side to become skilled labor and making much more on the same factory floor.

Today, you need a trade degree or a college degree to get any kind of decent job. The federal minimum wage is 7.25 and in Washington State the minimum is best in the country at 9.32 an hour. Retail jobs were once for the very poor and youth but have now become permanent positions for many people including them with college degrees. What is worse is that these jobs are often just part time. In college I worked at a mall in the evenings selling electronics.

My base salary was 16 US dollar and 20 dollar in the weekends (also in the evening). With my provision I made on average 25-30 dollar an hour on weekdays and 30-35 dollar an hour on weekends. The problem was just that I was not allowed to work more than 12 hours a week and I had to sell electronics for 1500 dollar on those 12 hours and 2000 if I worked on weekends – but with the same provision. That was your minimum and a bad month were enough to get you fired.

An extremely good week I could sell for 5500 but mostly I just sold for 2500 and that was “bad enough” to have my boss in my face yelling at me in front of customers. I remember I (and a few others) built up a customer-base from local retailers and companies buying small computer parts. By doing so we could “keep up” with the 1500 and 2000 limit but that was apparently wrong (not for any good legal or policy reason) and we were only allowed to sell to cold customers (people who entered the store) and they banned us for built up a customer-base. In the same time they lowered our salaries, raised limits to 2500 – and told us to sell more (but how much can you sell when people are not entering the store on evenings?). I had a few exams and took a short break from working – and that was enough to have me fired. This was clearly the best paying job (looking at the hourly pay with provision) I had in college. I had several other paid jobs like making 16-17 US dollar an hour as a clerk under summers but this job was not very stressful, no idiot boss screaming at me and no luring of customers - which were encouraged at that that retail I worked for but you were fired if customers started to complain.

A friend of mine left college and couldn’t find a white color job. He finally got a job as a Key Account Manager, which is a fancy word for a salesman that has a college degree but the job description is basically the same. He sold “stuff” straight to small, mostly local corporations so the salary was better and it was a full time job. He had a base salary of 40K. He was told that he had to meet the margins within 6 months and he did. He spent two years working there and seldom made more than 45-50K a month and he worked maybe 65 hours a week and was always stressed out to meet the margins. Every month he was told he was an idiot and no good for not selling extra-ordinary even though he was a one of the better salespersons they had. After he returned to school for a MA, he finally landed a white color job. He had only his thesis left when he was offered his first white color job. He started out with 48K at his first white color job. After a year he got a better one at a smaller company and made 50K and the next year he got an even better one making 62K. That is why people go to college – you have to have a degree to get anywhere in life. He was lucky but I have a few friends and relatives that never got that offer when they thought a graduate degree in Law or economics - would help them out from that retail-job and all of them come from middle to upper-middle class family, look good, went to fancy schools, did well and are social - there are just not enough white color jobs to go around to everybody in the late-modern Western World.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:08 AM

21,237 posts, read 30,495,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sconesforme View Post
Even if you enter a professional degree (Medicine, Dentistry or nursing not included) you are still going to have some problem. Getting a job as an accountant or lawyer is not easy and even an engineering degree is no guarantee anymore. I do agree with you that degree in The Humanities and Social science is worthless if you don’t know someone, lucky, graduates from a top school or is among the best in your class. This guy wants to make 2000 a month. In the old days he would just have get a job at the factory floor and he start at 2500 a month and get a trade degree on the side to become skilled labor and making much more on the same factory floor.

Today, you need a trade degree or a college degree to get any kind of decent job. The federal minimum wage is 7.25 and in Washington State the minimum is best in the country at 9.32 an hour. Retail jobs were once for the very poor and youth but have now become permanent positions for many people including them with college degrees. What is worse is that these jobs are often just part time. In college I worked at a mall in the evenings selling electronics.

My base salary was 16 US dollar and 20 dollar in the weekends (also in the evening). With my provision I made on average 25-30 dollar an hour on weekdays and 30-35 dollar an hour on weekends. The problem was just that I was not allowed to work more than 12 hours a week and I had to sell electronics for 1500 dollar on those 12 hours and 2000 if I worked on weekends – but with the same provision. That was your minimum and a bad month were enough to get you fired.

An extremely good week I could sell for 5500 but mostly I just sold for 2500 and that was “bad enough” to have my boss in my face yelling at me in front of customers. I remember I (and a few others) built up a customer-base from local retailers and companies buying small computer parts. By doing so we could “keep up” with the 1500 and 2000 limit but that was apparently wrong (not for any good legal or policy reason) and we were only allowed to sell to cold customers (people who entered the store) and they banned us for built up a customer-base. In the same time they lowered our salaries, raised limits to 2500 – and told us to sell more (but how much can you sell when people are not entering the store on evenings?). I had a few exams and took a short break from working – and that was enough to have me fired. This was clearly the best paying job (looking at the hourly pay with provision) I had in college. I had several other paid jobs like making 16-17 US dollar an hour as a clerk under summers but this job was not very stressful, no idiot boss screaming at me and no luring of customers - which were encouraged at that that retail I worked for but you were fired if customers started to complain.

A friend of mine left college and couldn’t find a white color job. He finally got a job as a Key Account Manager, which is a fancy word for a salesman that has a college degree but the job description is basically the same. He sold “stuff” straight to small, mostly local corporations so the salary was better and it was a full time job. He had a base salary of 40K. He was told that he had to meet the margins within 6 months and he did. He spent two years working there and seldom made more than 45-50K a month and he worked maybe 65 hours a week and was always stressed out to meet the margins. Every month he was told he was an idiot and no good for not selling extra-ordinary even though he was a one of the better salespersons they had. After he returned to school for a MA, he finally landed a white color job. He had only his thesis left when he was offered his first white color job. He started out with 48K at his first white color job. After a year he got a better one at a smaller company and made 50K and the next year he got an even better one making 62K. That is why people go to college – you have to have a degree to get anywhere in life. He was lucky but I have a few friends and relatives that never got that offer when they thought a graduate degree in Law or economics - would help them out from that retail-job and all of them come from middle to upper-middle class family, look good, went to fancy schools, did well and are social - there are just not enough white color jobs to go around to everybody in the late-modern Western World.
Again as just mentioned, there are no guarantees. Law School graduates can't find jobs due to a massive oversupply, Teachers can't find jobs, Doctorate grads in the Sciences are fighting for Research Assistant positions that pay 30-40K, Health Care specialty occupations have become flooded with those who lost their jobs in 2007-2009 and have retrained/graduated from tech programs and the list goes on.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:16 PM

930 posts, read 1,287,867 times
Quote:
The first two aren't bad if you're planning on going to graduate / law school afterwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or