Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 12:59 PM

250 posts, read 357,004 times

Advertisements

Which or the most attractive, and most vibrant riverfronts located in or around downtowns in the US? Are any riverfront redevelopments currently in process particularly interesting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 07:29 AM

588 posts, read 1,315,697 times
Cincinnati has a decently nice urban riverfront with new buildings, restaurants, and shops. It looks pretty nice.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:37 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,842,108 times
Following this! St. Louis is working on it's Riverfront but I would NOT say it was the best in the U.S. I think there is a lot of untapped potential there, but it's got a long way to go, even with the improvements currently being made to the Arch Grounds.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:10 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,100,855 times
San Antonio

Old 06-02-2014, 08:16 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,722,215 times
Providence, RI

Old 06-02-2014, 08:25 AM

190 posts, read 275,313 times
I think it would be hard for any city to beat Chicago.

San Antonio certainly has nothing on it.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:30 AM

542 posts, read 1,678,538 times
Pittsburgh is superb. So is Minneapolis.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:23 AM

271 posts, read 368,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behan View Post
I think it would be hard for any city to beat Chicago.

San Antonio certainly has nothing on it.
Chicago is a disappointment in this matter. They have a perfect lake front but politicians has built a 10 lane heavily traffic road from Edgewater down to E. 100 Street. For me it didn’t matter because I visited in late fall but it clearly destroys a beautiful view. They could have a lot of restaurants fronting the lake – but Chicago is of course good in the sense that is a very large city and at least they have left some room for pedestrians with parks, promenades and beaches. New York has pretty much the same problem. A smart person would have built tunnels to spare the water-fronts. Pittsburgh ha also destroyed their river-fronts with high-ways or large roads just as New York. A lot of cities have done so to save costs but doing so you destroy pedestrian life by water-fronts. It is much better in Europe were cities actually have preserved their water-fronts to lower the dissonance between pedestrians and trafficked roads. One of the nicest cities when it comes to this matter is Prague. They have protected their river fronts with tunnels and two lane-roads instead of large roads and high-ways by the water-front. Others are Athens, Stockholm (Sort of), Paris, Copenhagen, Rome, Marseille, Malaga, Valencia, Barcelona, Nice, Cannes, Geneva, Zurich (Sort of) Porto and others. One of the most beautiful cities I have been too has actually been in Southern France. Americans should travel around Europe, at least now when the Euro is in the toilet. I would get to Spain, Portugal, Italy and France. It is just a “short drive” between these countries. It takes about 18-20 hours to drive from Porto in Portugal to Genoa in Italy. In United States I think Annapolis has a nice small-town water-front feeling.

Last edited by Sconesforme; 06-02-2014 at 10:11 AM..

Old 06-02-2014, 09:36 AM

14,362 posts, read 16,933,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
Pittsburgh is superb. So is Minneapolis.
I love living here in Pittsburgh, but I wouldn't say the downtown riverfront is tremendous. Within the Golden Triangle proper you really don't have good access to the river except for Point State Park and a landing down by the Convention Center. The remaining areas are basically under highways or near highways, and pretty unfriendly to recreation. Trust me, I ride my bike down there pretty frequently.

The North Shore, just on the other side of the Allegheny, has been redone rather nicely. But this isn't part of Downtown.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:59 AM

190 posts, read 275,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sconesforme View Post
Chicago is a disappointment in this matter. They have a perfect lake front but politicians has built a 10 lane heavily traffic road from Edgewater down to E. 100 Street. For me it didn’t matter because I visited in late fall but it clearly destroys a beautiful view. They could have a lot of restaurants fronting the lake. New York has pretty much the same problem. A smart person would have built tunnels to spare the water-fronts. Pittsburgh ha also destroyed their river-fronts with high-ways or large roads just as New York. A lot of cities have done so to save costs but doing so you destroy city-life by water-fronts. It is much better in Europe were cities actually have preserved their water-fronts but even in many cities the roads by water-fronts has created a dissonance between pedestrians and trafficked roads. One of the nicest cities when it comes to this matter is Prague. They have protected their river fronts with tunnels and two lane-roads instead of large roads and high-ways by the water-front.
The Riverwalk area is pretty spectacular IMO

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.