U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2014, 09:27 AM

73 posts, read 116,136 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My family and I will be traveling to the Northeast this Summer to stay for 8 days. At this time, this is the plan: Fly into Boston and drive straight to Portland, ME to stay for a couple of days. Afterward, drive to NH and then Vermont, probably staying a night in each state, then driving back to Boston to stay for a couple of days to finish out our vacation.

Do you think visiting NH and Vermont is doable (or worth it)? We really wanted to visit Boston and Maine, but decided to throw in NH and Vermont as well. We don't want to feel rushed on vacation, but we'd like to see NH and Vermont while we're in the area, if anything to see the scenery and visit a state we haven't visited. I don't think we'll be back in the area for quite some time, so we wanted to take advantage of it while we're in the vicinity. The drive time doesn't appear too long, but I know a day in each state won't be enough to see everything.

Also, if there are any particular sites to see/things to do/places to stay along the way, please let me know. We have the flight booked, but we're in the planning stage for hotel stays and things to do for us as a family as well as things just for the kids. I just want to visit the Sam Adams Brewery.

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 11:08 AM

4,060 posts, read 4,464,772 times
NH is pretty easy - unless you go to Portland by boat, by car you'll be at least passing through NH anyway.

VT is a tougher go. It doesn't seem far, but really the only 'good' east-west road in New England is the MassPike. And that's going to be a pretty roundabout way to get to VT. I guess if you really wanted to say you'd been, from the NH coast I'd suggest going over to Concord NH, and then take I-89 up to Hanover/White River Jct and make a stop at Quechee Gorge.

But really, you could very easily fill up 8 days in MA/NH/ME alone, especially if you're spending a few just in/around Portland.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:19 AM

4,060 posts, read 4,464,772 times
As a sample:

Day 1: Arrive at Logan, Drive to Portland (probably 1a-60-1-95)
Day 2: Portland
Day 3: Portland
Day 4: Kennebunk/K'port/Wells
Day 5: York/Kittery (with dinner at Chauncey Creek, if you like Lobster) - overnight in Portsmouth
Day 6: Portsmouth - Strawberry Banke morning, lunch at the Brewpub. Afternoon Odiorne State Park and one of the beaches (Wallis Sands or Rye if you like a quiet beach, Hampton if you want NH's version of Jersey Shore) overnight in Newburyport, MA
Day 7: Newburyport downtown/harbor in the morning. Lunch there. If you aren't already sunburned to a crisp, afternoon at Plum Island or head down to Crane beach/Castle Hill.
Day 8: Depending on flight time, maybe just get to airport.

And even there you really didn't see much of the north shore. You could skip Kennebunk (or just breeze through) and open up a day to either hit Gloucester/Rockport MA, or Salem/Marblehead MA, or even to spend in Boston.

Alternatively you could make it over to the NH central valley/Lakes Region/White Mts. (or VT) but that's going to mean a lot more driving and missing a lot of the coast.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:09 PM

9,432 posts, read 18,334,943 times
If you can devote at least 3-4 days in NH and Vermont then it's doable. US Hwy 2 with is more or less a two lane goat trail traversing through the contours of the land in northern New England but it will take you past some very scenic points. In NH you'll pass the north side of Mount Washington where you may decide to stop for the night or keep going depending on your interests. When coming into Vermont you'll pass through the tranquil green pastures of the Northeast Kingdom. Eventually you'll end up in Montpelier where you can hop on I-89 and keep going west into Burlington. It would be an all day drive from coastal Maine but you'll find various points in the road to stop for lunch, stop for the view, or stop to relax. It's a nice ride, albeit slow.

Burlington is a pretty fun college town that is quite eclectic with an active downtown and very good dining. My favorite part of the area is Lake Champlain, it's a very large and beautiful lake with lots of boating, islands, beaches, and water recreation. The lake has mountain ranges on both sides, it's the most beautiful and scenic lake in New England in my opinion. Plan on a 4 hour drive back to Boston on I-89/93 back to Boston from Burlington.

That said if you decide to skip Vermont, Maine will give you plenty of opportunity to discover some of the very best natural beauty New England has to offer. If you devote more time to Maine you can explore extraordinarily beautiful places like Acadia National Park (though it is crowded in the summer) or more remote and spectacular beauty of Moosehead Lake. When in Portland, be sure to stop at the Portland Head lighthouse in Cape Elizabeth. It's very photogenic and as postcard perfect as coastal Maine can get. If you have fun for the kids in mind right outside of Portland is Old Orchard Beach which is a family friendly and fun little beach town, If you want to explore coastal Maine, with less crowds then head north of Portland as summer traffic is lighter there than the stretch of coastal towns on Route 1/I-95 in southern Maine.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 05-30-2014 at 01:25 PM..

Old 05-30-2014, 07:36 PM

73 posts, read 116,136 times
Thank you all for the very informative replies. I will Google all of your suggestions and see if we can start building our trip. We've always wanted to spend a vacation in the Northeast, so we're really looking forward to it. I may have some additional questions at a later time, so you may see me return. Thanks very much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or