U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2014, 03:18 PM

46 posts, read 51,368 times

Advertisements

Before I begin, I want to start by saying that I have posted threads like this before, a few in specific states and one in general U.S several months ago. I was going through a little wanderlust phase. Also my questions weren't really accurate to my actual desires. You see, as crazy as it sounds, since I was five I've wanted to own a hair salon, a curly hair specialty one. My family would never have been very accommodating to that idea. With college visits and applications coming up my following school year I put my life into perspective and realized I need to consider what I want, not what my dad or mom wants. In the next two years, I will be moving out of Michigan if I decided to go straight to beauty school and not business school first. In just the next year I will be applying, taking out loans, to wherever I decided to go.
Possibly, I will go to business school here first then move to pursue cosmetology. But in this post, lets pretend I'm for sure going straight to beauty school out of state because there is a very strong chance that will be the case. I just wanted to get all of that out of the way before someone went "Hey you've asked this all before but for different reasons, you don't know what you want" and all that, trust me I've heard it already On top of that, a lot of things in my personal life have drastically altered my personality, wants and needs. Its been a bumpy few months to say the least. Thanks to anyone who can offer any help or advice. It's greatly appreciated.

*Also, for those of you who may be thinking why does it matter? Who cares where you move when you wont even be owning a salon for several years? Well its because wherever I go to school (Beauty School) and begin working at a small salon, that's where I meet my clients! It would be smarter to stick in the area, at least the state, of where you spend your training years working at so I have a cliental built up. Why open a salon somewhere new when it will just be empty? Also, this summer I may be looking at some cosmetology schools and I want to narrow down where I want to go with my mother on our road trip. Should be fun!

1. A bigger city; not quite New York, New York, but something busy full of young people and tall buildings. If I said the name anywhere in the Country, people would know where I'm referring to. Not so popular that its expensive beyond belief though (San Francisco, New York, places like those.) It would be years before I established myself assuming that even happens. I don't want to spend half my yearly income on rent. Also I don't like the grey skyscraper feel. I love huge cities that have lots of different looking buildings, not cookie cutter.

2. Diverse! I come from a mixed family so diversity is very important to me. I enjoy different religions, foods and cultures. Not just with race, but class. I want to see hippies and business men, artist and computer nerds. Also, considering I want to specialize in doing curly hair it would benefit me to have different textures around me so the more ethnicities the better!

3. Weather; I used to love the heat. This is the first year that has changed and I don't know why. I still like it, but anything over 75 drives me mad and even then its only tolerable for a couple of days. I like the changing weather here in MI, but I just don't want so extreme, you know? This winter was unbearable, most of my city lost power for about a week and I live in a major city by MSU! That's absurd! Now that summer is FINALLY here after about 7 months of snow, its so humid it mine as well be raining when its not. I hate it. I don't want such drastic changes. Summers in 60-70's, winters with just a little snow, not extremely dry or humid. I want very neutral weather. This is one of the most important things to me because for some odd reason, weather effected my mood 20x more than it should.

4. Nature; I LOVE beautiful scenery. While the big city may not have a lot, I'd like the state to have lots of old trees or mountains or pretty beaches just anything most people consider pretty, I don't care what it is. Something that would be enjoyable camping in.

4. Politics; In strictly social context, I am more liberal. A bible beating\conservative area, while nice for some, wouldn't suit me well. But like I said above, Im not looking for New York. I prefer a more neutral area.

5. Big city with small town mannerisms if this is even possible. People holding doors open for each other, please and thank yous, chit chatting with strangers in public. Ive grown up hearing people in major citys are cold and bitter but I refuse to beilive that is always the case! I have more faith in humanity

6. WATER WATER WATER. I cant emphasize this enough! I live in the great lake state, I don't wanna move to the land of sand! I don't care if its the ocean or a lake or rivers, I just don't want to be far from water. I like tubing and fishing so the closer the better. Being right beside it would be nice.

7. Somewhere with lots of attractions within an hour/2 hour radius. Museums, zoos, things me and future kids could enjoy. A city that has things that could appeal to my grandma and my little sister, a little something for everyone.

8. Economy; The most important I'd say is a place with a decent economy where I could actually get clients. The career I am aspiring for already doesn't make a lot of money so I want to enable myself to do the best I can with where I choose. If I did achieve my dream of owning a business, I don't want to struggle (assuming I have the best salon on the planet and my amazing skills have nothing to do with it) because people cant afford to get their hair done, or things are to expensive to buy. Also, since this city or at least state, will most likely be my forever home (unless I actually did hit it big and venture my salon to different states like the big names do. Hey a girl can dream), I want to have a better chance at a secure future for myself and possible kids. So nothing too slummy.

9. Speaking of family, this point is not that important but I mine as well hit two birds with one stone since I'm here. I have a peculiar obsession with houses- remodeling them with my parents, examining them. Does this city and or outside the city, have cookie cutter small houses or is there a few vintage doll houses tucked away? I love the older homes on the east coast. I really don't want a cookie cutter city full of white picket fences and soccer moms. I guess it sort of goes back to that diversity point. Again this doesn't really matter because I don't even know If I will be able to afford a home, want one, or need one (my own, I will rent obviously) I just didn't think it would hurt to ask.

I want to add that I'm not necessarily asking for all these things directly in the big city. Just within a couple hours. Like the zoo and water I mentioned? The pretty nature? That can all be in the state, doesn't have to be directly in the city. I emphasize this on the charming manners I mentioned I liked; I mean the state as a whole.

Also, if you do recommend a city, do you have any other pros/cons to add? Any advice for the path I wish to take? Thanks again! I looked everywhere, clicked every Google page on moving and cities and such and I just couldn't find one tailored enough for me! Seems everything is for a family with kids looking to move, a single 30 year old, or a couple retiring. So thanks SO much for anyone that takes the time to answer these. I know its a tedious task with so many questions. Thank you x1000!

Last edited by StuckinMi; 05-30-2014 at 04:03 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or