U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2014, 04:23 PM
T0m T0m started this thread

1 posts, read 888 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move to the PacNW (Seattle, Portland, Vancouver BC Canada or Eugene OR in that order) and I was wondering if those cities meet my criteria:

* Weather: I like rain, thunder, storms and overcast. I get depressed if it's overly sunny; no idea why but I just do.
* Crime: low crime. I am a night owl and like going to coffee bars late at night and doing work or reading so being safe out late is important.
* Sports: I LOVE baseball and football. NBA not so much. NHL I am getting into. Soccer is great.
* Music: I am a big music geek and I am a musician myself. I am an indie nerd and would consider my music tastes hipster. A good music scene is VITAL
* I am not religious so a place that religion isn't important would be nice.
* Liberal politics.
* Make or break: I have a bad fear of bugs (stemming from a childhood incident) so a place with little or no insects would be great.

I assume the Pacnw is my best choice. can you confirm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 06:41 PM

12,574 posts, read 15,041,157 times
I would say that Seattle would fit you well!

Old 05-30-2014, 07:25 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,764 posts, read 54,390,602 times
Thunderstorms are rare here in Seattle, but we do get plenty of overcast and rain, plus 2-3 good windstorms, usually late fall. Soccer here is 2nd only to football now, surpassing baseball attendance since the Mariners have been so bad. Religion is here for sure with many churches but the percentage that attend is low and no one is in your face about it. People have told us there are no bugs here and in fact many homes had no screens, but there are. The worst are spiders, tent caterpillars, and ants. We also have yellow-jacket and mosquito issues. None of it is anything like the south or midwest, however. I'll admit that there are far fewer bugs than we had in the San Francisco Bay Area. Politics are liberal in all of the cities mentioned. Iwould say Seattle is #1 for you, if you can afford it, Portland 2nd. Vancouver is even more expensive than Seattle. Eugene has more bugs and more religious people, and their liberalism may be a bit extreme at time, as the home of the anarchists.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:16 PM

6,413 posts, read 10,384,207 times
Any of the cities mentioned would suit you, though none is going to hit every point.

"Storms" and thunder are not that common. Yes, it rains and is overcast, but not so often what I'd call stormy. And thunder and lightening are rare.

Availability of pro-level sports is an issue with most of the cities on your list. Seattle probably has the most. Eugene the least, though college sports are big.

Old 06-01-2014, 04:20 AM

854 posts, read 1,111,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0m View Post
I am looking to move to the PacNW (Seattle, Portland, Vancouver BC Canada or Eugene OR in that order) and I was wondering if those cities meet my criteria:

* Weather: I like rain, thunder, storms and overcast. I get depressed if it's overly sunny; no idea why but I just do.
* Crime: low crime. I am a night owl and like going to coffee bars late at night and doing work or reading so being safe out late is important.
* Sports: I LOVE baseball and football. NBA not so much. NHL I am getting into. Soccer is great.
* Music: I am a big music geek and I am a musician myself. I am an indie nerd and would consider my music tastes hipster. A good music scene is VITAL
* I am not religious so a place that religion isn't important would be nice.
* Liberal politics.
* Make or break: I have a bad fear of bugs (stemming from a childhood incident) so a place with little or no insects would be great.

I assume the Pacnw is my best choice. can you confirm?

Weather is good though thunder is uncommon, it's not nonexistent by any means though. May is actually a pretty thundery month in the NW relatively speaking.

Crime is low and in general you'll feel safe. The homeless and druggies can be disturbing and our region has had its share of serial killers but I'd say in general it's safer than most of the rest of the country.

Sports you'll do well in Seattle not anywhere else. The soccer teams here have a very large cult following though (the Cascadia cup). Actually it's kind of nice how sports isn't so much "religion" here compared to other places. There's still a lot of fandom but I find in general there are a lot of people who don't care either way too.

The music scene here isn't my cup of tea but it would probably be yours. It's very competitive though seems like everyone has a band here!

The Pacific Northwest is less religious than the rest of the country. It's still about half Christian and has its share of fundies but it's definitely secular compared to the South and Midwest. Similar to the Northeast.

Insects are indeed less common here. I've hardly seen any ants around; I think the two winter cold waves killed off most of them. There are some mosquitoes here but not like back east and you'd have to be unbelievably messy to attract roaches, they really aren't common in the Northwest at all.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:40 AM

21,699 posts, read 23,651,778 times
It sounds as if you would happy in Seattle. The other places meet some of your criteria but Seattle meets them all. You would be smart to go for a visit and check it out. Give yourself time to explore and talk to people.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:40 AM

3,144 posts, read 2,825,168 times
Pittsburgh. You described Lawrenceville to T.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or