Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 10:40 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,044,929 times

Advertisements

Positive reputation for all! OK done! All your reputation went up by one! You deserve it for your contrubations! Thanks for your time replying! The concensus is some like the cold, some dont mind and others hate it. Older people have less tolerance to the cold, hence why Florida is so popular for seniors. I might become a snowbird when im older and go to Florida for the winter, a 55+ condo can be had really cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2006, 03:24 AM

1,005 posts, read 1,877,667 times
Cosmic -

I agree with you - winters in Tuscany! Ahhhh... I lived in Milan for 2-yrs (about 100-yrs ago), but I'd live in IT in a second, should $ suddently fly thru my window & into my lap, thus allow me to buy a little villa pad, or should a handsome Italian, lost on the streets of Boston, ask for directions to Hanover St., N. End & well, you know the rest...

But, it's too cold in Boston now to leave your windows opened, so, I guess I'll have to wait for a May $ windfall, when the cold/snow/wind allows up to once again open said windows.

NAH -

Many folks wish for youth. I've often thought I were just 8-yrs older, so I could take advantage of the 55+ FL condos that seem to be plentiful on "realtor dot com" for such a little amount (by big-city standards). Gave up looking into FL after years of horrendous catastrophies, but honestly, I couldn't find much "under-55" in FL, at least in the online condo-realm...

Oh, well, perhaps venturing back to a nicer, slower PA lifestyle with multi-bed/bath homes still in the $50-60K range, is in order... a la Cosmic's OH venture. I'm with ya' on that, I must say...

Stay warm/cool everyone, whatever the case may be... Baltic_Celt

Old 10-27-2006, 06:23 AM

243 posts, read 1,093,416 times
Cold weather sucks. Can't swim or jet-ski in cold weather. Either forced to stay indoors or wear 3 layers of clothing with gloves, like being in a space suit. That's no way to live.

Old 10-27-2006, 06:33 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,044,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDog View Post
Cold weather sucks. Can't swim or jet-ski in cold weather. Either forced to stay indoors or wear 3 layers of clothing with gloves, like being in a space suit. That's no way to live.

I dont like swimming and I never water ski. Ohio isnt so cold, one layer of cloth is enough as long as its a jacket

Old 10-27-2006, 07:51 AM

61 posts, read 275,028 times
If it's hot, I can't go outside. There's nothing to do. I love cool weather because I like being active when I'm outdoors.

"I would rather die in a glacial cave than in an eternity afternoon room of dust."
- Jack Kerouac, The Dharma Bums

Old 10-27-2006, 10:53 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,157,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
I love the cold weather! I am so siked to get to wear ear muffs. Like the others, the cold is no fun for me when it is damp. It has been a little on the chilly side for this time of year, and I have a merry fire going. My cats are snoozing in front of the woodstove, soaking up some warms.

I have found that I am much more motivated to be outside doing anything when it is cool, rather than hot.

Remember, you can always add another layer, but there is only so much that you can take off!
I am soooo with you on that. I would much rather be able to warm up than cool off. Much more uncomfortable for me to be sticky and sweaty and having to shower and change clothes a few times a day, like Florida or Texas in the summer. For me comfortable is when it gets in the high fifties. Guess I'm a bit warm blooded. New England for me! Plus the clothes are much nicer in the fall and winter, if it is cold.

Old 10-27-2006, 11:04 AM

56 posts, read 32,436 times
global warming is telling us to go north..... and the 3 or 4 more yrs increase in life span tells us CANADA..

Old 10-27-2006, 04:32 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,693,206 times
Someone mentioned they like wearing thick cozy sweaters in fall...

To me the idea doesn't sound bad by itself, but from my experience, or at least around the Great Lakes if you have a climate wear you're wearing "cozy sweaters" by late Sep. or mid Oct. you WILL have to have 3-4 months where you NEED a heavy coat over winter, then when spring comes, it's NOT WARM and you're back to the cozy sweaters, sometimes well into the middle of May.

Now if you do some math you find out that equals 7.0-7.5 months that you HAVE to be bundled up in cozy clothes. I myself like wearing thick sweaters on occaision but I imagine if I could choose I'd prefer no more than 4 months a year where sweaters are needed, to add a little variety to the year instead of becoming a way-of-life like it is here.

Old 10-27-2006, 05:11 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,325,250 times
ColdCanadian--where have you been??

Old 10-27-2006, 05:53 PM

22,995 posts, read 34,256,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy164 View Post
ColdCanadian--where have you been??
Hi C.C. I missed you, how have you been??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.