Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 08:52 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,081,952 times

Advertisements

This has got me curious. If you dont like the cold and live up north, why dont you relocate? If you live south and you are priced out of a house, cant afford any, are you willing to move north and get a cheap house and deal with the cold?

My mom gives me a hard time about the cold and some of you are making it to be a big deal. I cant afford Florida and want to relocate to OH or WV where a nice house can be had for $50k. (I dont know anywhere south where its warm can I find a nice $50k house) Lots of people live up north and deal with the cold, what makes me different? I shall learn to deal with the cold just like the rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2006, 08:56 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,665,225 times
I love the cold, and snow!! Someday I will retire to Maine!!!

Old 10-26-2006, 09:01 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
The cold can be unpleasant when you're not prepared for it. Like this month...October has been particularly cold in Missouri. Freezes have happened now about 5-6 times and temperatures have been more like mid to late November. All my Impatiens burnt up from the freezes.. and I've had to use the heat for a couple of weeks quite frequently. We've had highs from 42F to 55F and we should be in the high sixties to low seventies. The other morning I went outside to do yardwork and it was 28F. That's not fun. It's when you're not prepared that it sucks. But once we go into winter, you expect it and it has it's own beauty and you can appreciate it.

Old 10-26-2006, 09:12 AM

262 posts, read 2,021,749 times
Don't know anywhere cheap & warm? Except for FL, the southeast is one of the cheaper areas to live in the USA, but then you have to deal with muggy heat... How about Oklahoma?

The cold sucks. I hate starting my car up early, cold bathroom floors, wearing 3 layers of clothes, shoveling snow, dry skin, sinus headaches, etc. Maryland is about the farthest north I could imagine going.

Old 10-26-2006, 09:24 AM

23,011 posts, read 34,370,036 times
I like cold weather and I get a hard time (and some red dots) for talking about how much I hate the heat in Houston. This is one of many reasons me and my husband want to move to a cooler place, a place that has four seasons. I can take the cold a lot better than the heat. I am so tired of being hot, it's 78 now and feels like 81 and I don't like it.

Old 10-26-2006, 10:26 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,198,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I like cold weather and I get a hard time (and some red dots) for talking about how much I hate the heat in Houston. This is one of many reasons me and my husband want to move to a cooler place, a place that has four seasons. I can take the cold a lot better than the heat. I am so tired of being hot, it's 78 now and feels like 81 and I don't like it.
I know how you feel about the heat. I live in sunny California and am so tired of the constant sun. I hesitate to tell people this as this is why most people move here but everyday it is the same, barely any change. People freak out if it drizzles and the news calls a little rain "STORM WATCH"! Today it will be close to 90. It is fall. It should be crisp, cool air with cozy sweaters and long pants, not flip flops and shorts. I grew up here and have lived where it gets below zero and I prefer having the change of weather and all that that includes. I am moving back to New England in 2007!

Old 10-26-2006, 10:43 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,665,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
I know how you feel about the heat. I live in sunny California and am so tired of the constant sun. I hesitate to tell people this as this is why most people move here but everyday it is the same, barely any change. People freak out if it drizzles and the news calls a little rain "STORM WATCH"! Today it will be close to 90. It is fall. It should be crisp, cool air with cozy sweaters and long pants, not flip flops and shorts. I grew up here and have lived where it gets below zero and I prefer having the change of weather and all that that includes. I am moving back to New England in 2007!
New England there is no place like it in the fall!!! Love it.

Old 10-26-2006, 11:15 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Was it MoMark who said you expect to be cold in the winter, but not the fall?
This I agree with.
I am almost 52, so keep this in mind. I ain't no spring chicken.
I spent most of my life so far in Colorado, which has changeable weather.
The cold got to me after awhile. I would get terrible eczema every winter.
The tradeoff in Colorado is that there is a lot of sunshine, snow does not last. But winter lasts a lo-ong time.
After the umpteenth spring snowstorm, watching 80 year old trees fall down,blooming crabapples toppled over, branches everywhere, I really began to worn down.
After shivering through the last October snowstorm, seeing the pretty leaves sodden on the ground, we said goodbye to Denver and left for Florida.
Not sure where we will settle for good, but I am pretty sure that I am finished with long winters.

Old 10-26-2006, 02:47 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
I HATE, HATE, HATE cold weather! I cannot stand being somewhere where it is 30 degrees in the daytime. I grew up in Iowa but NEVER got used to the cold. Cold for me is 60 degrees, anything below that is freezing to me.

I don't own a shovel, a heavy coat, gloves, boots, or anything dealing with cold weather. I love wearing jeans in the wintertime and I have a tradition of calling family back in Iowa every Christmas to wish them a Merry Christmas and saying how I'm outside on the patio wearing shorts and sandals grilling steaks.

I don't care if it cost me a million bucks, I'm staying where it's warm. I always tell people moving here "You can't shovel sunshine".

And there are tens of thousands of snowbirds that come down here every winter for a few months to get away from the North. My parents and my aunt and uncle both own homes down here where they come for a few months.

Old 10-26-2006, 03:04 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,726,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
And there are tens of thousands of snowbirds that come down here every winter for a few months to get away from the North. My parents and my aunt and uncle both own homes down here where they come for a few months.
That is the ticket, few one places fit all situations. I actually had thought of a deal where I might spend the winters in Italy or Greece and the rest of the time in USA. Might have to settle for the more conventional Ohio / Florida deal. You can even go up to MI or where ever if you have a sunny place to run to in winter.

I definitely can NOT do Florida in hurricane season or the summer.

The older you get, the less you like winter. I sort of like winter but not a lot of winter. Even in Boston I had to get out of there for at least 2 or 3 weeks just to be sane. One of my favorite places to go was San Francisco.

If you can break up winter, it ain't too bad. If you are in a place where it is long, cold and bleak, can warp your brain after a while. Ain't just the body.

Same holds true the other way. My relatives in Florida got to get out of there in the summer. Ohio or MI are the favorite escape places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.