U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-07-2014, 08:43 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis
1,704 posts, read 2,769,975 times
Reputation: 2336

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NckSplosion View Post
I like parks; I just have to go out of my way to get to a nice one around here. Restaurants aren't much of a concern; my culinary skills are more than sufficient. I'm relatively easy to please. Internet access is all I need; you all can have your cable TV and land-line service.

All I really want is a lower cost of living, (MUCH) less crime, better job opportunities, and an affordable place for myself (no spouse or kids ... yet). My new year's resolution was to accomplish all of this by the end of this year.

I've been thinking about it everyday, to the point in which I'm actually having dreams about moving. Can't wait to visit these places!
Best combination of four seasons, affordable COL, low crime, good job market, access to quality parks, and transit/urbanity will be Minneapolis, Portland, and Denver. Everything else will generally be either too far south for distinct seasons (Portland is pushing it), too expensive, or not have strong transit.

Check out ParkScore for info about urban parks.

There are lots of cities I'd say fit almost as well where you'd probably do well, but that don't quite fit as well as those first three:
Austin
Chicago
St. Louis
Seattle
Cleveland
Columbus
Cincinnati
Kansas City
Indianapolis
Omaha
Dallas
Houston
Sacramento
San Diego
Pittsburgh
Raleigh
Charlotte
Richmond
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-07-2014, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Maryland
62 posts, read 69,517 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Best combination of four seasons, affordable COL, low crime, good job market, access to quality parks, and transit/urbanity will be Minneapolis, Portland, and Denver. Everything else will generally be either too far south for distinct seasons (Portland is pushing it), too expensive, or not have strong transit.

Check out ParkScore for info about urban parks.

There are lots of cities I'd say fit almost as well where you'd probably do well, but that don't quite fit as well as those first three:
Austin
Chicago
St. Louis
Seattle
Cleveland
Columbus
Cincinnati
Kansas City
Indianapolis
Omaha
Dallas
Houston
Sacramento
San Diego
Pittsburgh
Raleigh
Charlotte
Richmond
That's quite a list of places to go. Those first three cities you mentioned seem nice, but a little too far away. Also, I did prefer winter to summer when I was younger (with the snow days and such). Now, with a car and job, not so much. If I have to lose a little bit of winter (the harsh bit of it, with 2-4 feet of snow), so be it.

Sports was mentioned earlier. I'm pretty much neutral to sports. As long as a place isn't trying to jam it's fanaticism down my throat, we're all good.

Ditto for religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2014, 10:36 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis
1,704 posts, read 2,769,975 times
Reputation: 2336
I'd still say those three (Mpls, Portland, and Denver) are your best bets. The distance concern is understandable. Denver Airport is a massive hub for domestic travel. MSP airport is huge too. Minneapolis is the closest to the East Coast of the three, and the only one actually in the eastern half of the country. By car, Minneapolis to any of the major eastern cities is totally doable in two days - still a big trip, I know.

So if distance is a big concern too, that leaves:
Chicago (?)
Cleveland
Columbus
Cincinnati
Indianapolis
Pittsburgh
Raleigh
Charlotte
Richmond

My favorites of those are Chicago, Columbus, and Pittsburgh, but it sounds like you would fit in a lot of places!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2014, 11:50 PM
 
1,350 posts, read 1,889,048 times
Reputation: 1163
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
I'd still say those three (Mpls, Portland, and Denver) are your best bets. The distance concern is understandable. Denver Airport is a massive hub for domestic travel. MSP airport is huge too. Minneapolis is the closest to the East Coast of the three, and the only one actually in the eastern half of the country. By car, Minneapolis to any of the major eastern cities is totally doable in two days - still a big trip, I know.

So if distance is a big concern too, that leaves:
Chicago (?)
Cleveland
Columbus
Cincinnati
Indianapolis
Pittsburgh
Raleigh
Charlotte
Richmond

My favorites of those are Chicago, Columbus, and Pittsburgh, but it sounds like you would fit in a lot of places!
Given OP's salary (less than $35k), I'd recommend aiming for the cities with the lowest cost of living. The Ohio cities, Indianapolis, and Pittsburgh will definitely fit that bill.

Pittsburgh also has decent transit, which is a plus. It's a criminally underrated city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2014, 07:22 AM
 
Location: Maryland
62 posts, read 69,517 times
Reputation: 40
Another suggestion for Pittsburgh? Now, I need to give that city a look.

I've given it some thought, and I'm still very interested in Raleigh (job market, safe, aunt in High Point). While in Ohio next month, I'll take a look at Columbus. When I return, I'll head to Raleigh for a couple days. I'll do Pittsburgh afterward, if I have enough vacation time saved up.

Now that I think of it, it's just a 4-hour ride to Pittsburgh from here, so I could just spend a weekend there. What do you all think about taking a weekend trip to a city that's nearby? Would two days be enough time to look around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2014, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Miami-Jax
6,325 posts, read 6,996,682 times
Reputation: 3504
I am a big fan of Pittsburgh, too. Very impressive city. Decent transit, very walkable neighborhoods, exciting college area, gorgeous hills overlooking the city (got up there after a Pirates game to watch the fireworks).

Only disappointment was the Chinese food
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2014, 01:44 PM
 
Location: The canyon (with my pistols and knife)
13,227 posts, read 17,998,336 times
Reputation: 14678
One potential drawback with Pittsburgh: This person says he'd rather do without fanaticism in sports and religion. Pittsburgh is very live-and-let-live about religion, but there is sports fanaticism, especially with football. It's not quite as intense as it was 20 years ago, now that more people from elsewhere have begun moving to Pittsburgh, but it still rears its ugly head sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2014, 04:40 AM
 
Location: Maryland
62 posts, read 69,517 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
One potential drawback with Pittsburgh: This person says he'd rather do without fanaticism in sports and religion. Pittsburgh is very live-and-let-live about religion, but there is sports fanaticism, especially with football. It's not quite as intense as it was 20 years ago, now that more people from elsewhere have begun moving to Pittsburgh, but it still rears its ugly head sometimes.
Really? I'm guessing I'd be asking for trouble if I let people know I'm from Baltimore, while not even being a huge fan of the Ravens. I just have to see for myself. It might not be that bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2014, 09:29 AM
 
2,478 posts, read 4,877,660 times
Reputation: 4489
Quote:
Originally Posted by NckSplosion View Post
Hello, everyone. I've been spending some time on this forum, and I've seen many people traveling and moving. I want to be one of those people.

It's not that Maryland is bad; it's just not for me, and I've been here all my life (I'm in my mid 20s). The cost of living is so high here, and it doesn't seem worth the price to me. Looking at other states, North Carolina seems like a nice place. My aunt lives in High Point, and she tells me to look for some jobs in the Raleigh area. Next month (I'm building up PTO hours, and going on vacation), I'd like to spend a three- or four-day weekend down there.

The thing is, I don't really travel much, not alone anyway. This would be my first solo multi-hour trip. I actually want to kill two birds with one stone; I'm looking for a new job, and I want my own place (still living with my mother, but we split the bills). I've also saved up some cash, or what little I could on this $34k salary.

One thing I do know is that you just can't move somewhere without checking the place out first; it's just too risky. What should I do when visiting a new city? What else should I do to prepare for this trip? I'd also ask how to apply for work in another state, but I've seen topics about that already. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

(About me: Mid 20's, male, single, introverted, prefer peace and quiet, don't care about night life, don't care about politics or religion, B. S. in Info Systems, two years worth of help desk experience, two-and-a-half decades worth of living in low-income, crime-ridden neighborhood, definitely looking for something else...)
OP, go to the general moving forum on here. There is a sticky at the top by me that covers this type of thing. It will give you a lot of the information you seek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2014, 09:33 PM
 
321 posts, read 362,373 times
Reputation: 404
Columbus or Pittsburgh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top