U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 01:08 PM

2 posts, read 1,507 times

Advertisements

I'm a native of Orlando, Fl, and have been born and raised here for my whole life. I'm well-traveled internationally, but not so much within the states. I'm a rising high school senior looking to identify the college I wish to attend, as I intend to go into the political sphere, and the connections I make in my undergraduate and law school years will be vital in breaking through into the careers of my interest. For that reason, I'm looking to determine the region I want to live in before making choices on colleges and universities.

My family has been in the fiscal 1% for several generations, and I intend to be as well. We have significant political connections within Florida, but I would be remiss not to investigate outside of my state, as I've never quite felt a sense of belonging in the relatively culture-less tourist city of Orlando.

I'm not terribly concerned about diversity, would like for where I live to have its own developed culture (I've always admired the Southern traditions of my mother's family and the New England customs of my father's), appreciate a strong local educational system, and don't have a notable preference on the local climate (but moderate temperatures are always nice. I would prefer to stay near the east coast, and be in a region with a higher level of college educated residents.

I would best be described at the moment as: intelligent, ambitious, preppy, well off, well spoken, and occasionally charming. I'm predominantly Caucasian, but have a little bit of Mediterranean expressed in my appearance. Some people assume I'm white and others assume I'm Hispanic or Southern European, but I'm very clean cut and well groomed- so I've had significantly more issue integrating into "diverse" communities than homogenous predominately white ones. I have an of mixture of the southern breeding of my mother and the New England of my father, and can convincingly act the part of a native in the Deep South and Upstate New York, mannerisms, customs, and accents included- and am considered "well-bred" in both. I also sound significantly less pretentious in person than writing haha, the latter of which I apologize for.

Regions I've been looking at are:

Mass.: Harvard, Andover, Wellesley, etc.

NoVa: Arlington, Fairfax, etc.

GA: Savannah, Atlanta, Athens

AL/FL: Birmingham, Mobile, Tallahassee, Sarasota

SC: Charleston

NC: Asheville

Ideas on other, better fitting, cities and advise on those listed would be welcome.

Sent from my iPhone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 03:05 PM

56,696 posts, read 80,995,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetos View Post
I'm a native of Orlando, Fl, and have been born and raised here for my whole life. I'm well-traveled internationally, but not so much within the states. I'm a rising high school senior looking to identify the college I wish to attend, as I intend to go into the political sphere, and the connections I make in my undergraduate and law school years will be vital in breaking through into the careers of my interest. For that reason, I'm looking to determine the region I want to live in before making choices on colleges and universities.

My family has been in the fiscal 1% for several generations, and I intend to be as well. We have significant political connections within Florida, but I would be remiss not to investigate outside of my state, as I've never quite felt a sense of belonging in the relatively culture-less tourist city of Orlando.

I'm not terribly concerned about diversity, would like for where I live to have its own developed culture (I've always admired the Southern traditions of my mother's family and the New England customs of my father's), appreciate a strong local educational system, and don't have a notable preference on the local climate (but moderate temperatures are always nice. I would prefer to stay near the east coast, and be in a region with a higher level of college educated residents.

I would best be described at the moment as: intelligent, ambitious, preppy, well off, well spoken, and occasionally charming. I'm predominantly Caucasian, but have a little bit of Mediterranean expressed in my appearance. Some people assume I'm white and others assume I'm Hispanic or Southern European, but I'm very clean cut and well groomed- so I've had significantly more issue integrating into "diverse" communities than homogenous predominately white ones. I have an of mixture of the southern breeding of my mother and the New England of my father, and can convincingly act the part of a native in the Deep South and Upstate New York, mannerisms, customs, and accents included- and am considered "well-bred" in both. I also sound significantly less pretentious in person than writing haha, the latter of which I apologize for.

Ideas on other, better fitting, cities and advise on those listed would be welcome.

Sent from my iPhone
I'd look into other Ivies like Yale, Princeton, UPenn, Brown and Cornell. I don't know if Dartmouth would be too rural or if Columbia would be too much being that it is in Manhattan.

Also, what about schools such as Vanderbilt in Nashville, Tulane in New Orleans, Rice in Houston or Duke in Durham, as all of them are highly regarded?

Old 06-02-2014, 03:08 PM

10,559 posts, read 13,130,219 times
Are southern europeans not caucasian?

Old 06-02-2014, 03:37 PM

4,269 posts, read 6,355,290 times
If politics is your game go for the prestige schools in the Boston-Washington corridor, assuming that you can get in. This part of the country has tons of politically aware students on both the left and the right.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:33 PM

1,426 posts, read 1,885,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Are southern europeans not caucasian?
They're not WASP, that's for sure! Remember 'white' is a made up term, and that in America, Irish, Italians and other Southern Europeans (Greek, Spanish, Portuguese) weren't considered 'white' until some time in the 20th century. It is clear that the OP defines white under the old school standards, which means English, German, Scandinavian etc,.

Europeans are Europeans. If you are talking about the modern term of 'Caucasian' (and not just meaning those people from the Caucasus Mountains), this includes not only all Europeans, but many Middle Easterners and North Africans. So, yes, all Europeans are Caucasian, but not all Caucasians are European, nor are all Europeans OR Caucasians 'white'.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:04 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,852,623 times
Did anybody else hear the voice of Mr. Howell when they were reading that post?

I'd suggest if you want to be worth your salt as a politician that you go somewhere that will expose you to how the other 99% live. You know of course that the government derives it's power from the consent of the governed. Best to at least be able to empathize with us poor teeming masses.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:35 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,487,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Did anybody else hear the voice of Mr. Howell when they were reading that post?
I head Jay Gatsby, but yeah. Until just now I've only heard about people referring to their own "breeding". I consider myself a better person just for having read it.

As long as he stays out of CA.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:13 PM

190 posts, read 228,911 times
I got more of a Patrick Bateman vibe myself.

I think the Northeast would be just grand for him.

(or .... Mobile, AL?? )

Old 06-02-2014, 09:48 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,051,521 times
With that attitude, you'd probably have a difficult time navigating socially in California, Washington, or Colorado.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:23 AM

21,204 posts, read 30,404,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetos View Post

Sent from my iPhone
As a long term resident of Central Florida and areas of the Northeast (DC, Philadelphia, NYC) I understand your criteria and desires, and would recommend the DC area foremost as I think it'll blend best your background and future goals in terms of comfort level and those you'll find common interest with. Georgetown U, American U and George Washington U would be my top three recommendations for you to check out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or