Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 11:05 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,585,383 times

Advertisements

How come not that many Americans drive to Canada, especially those in northern states (10 hours or less drive to the border)? I can guarantee that 95%+ of Canadians living near the U.S. border in big cities, including small, have traveled/driven thru the U.S. for any reason.

Here in New York/New Jersey area, I see plenty of Canadian license plates (Mostly Quebec and Ontario).
Canada is a unique and beautiful place to visit... sad that not that many have been there despite being close to the country. Quebec being north of us is a taste of France!

I know many Americans who says that they never been outside the country.... well you have an easy option to travel north! It's affordable and easy. All you need is passport (Should be required but whatever).

Canada is a great country, slightly different from America, and is very diverse and has anything you want!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 11:06 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,398,459 times
i love canada. in fact id love to live in canada. But i hate winters in nyc, and winters in nyc arent even that bad, so i could imagine winters in canada.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:09 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,585,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
i love canada. in fact id love to live in canada. But i hate winters in nyc, and winters in nyc arent even that bad, so i could imagine winters in canada.
Western Canada (Vancouver area) has mild winters with barely any snow in winter and temperatures stays usually slightly above freezing.

If you want to stick to Central and Eastern Canada, you could visit anywhere between April - October for warmer weather. Toronto and Montreal has hot and often humid summers!

Old 08-14-2012, 11:17 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,398,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Western Canada (Vancouver area) has mild winters with barely any snow in winter and temperatures stays usually slightly above freezing.

If you want to stick to Central and Eastern Canada, you could visit anywhere between April - October for warmer weather. Toronto and Montreal has hot and often humid summers!
i visit montreal normally. i love it plus my parents are haitian. Vancouver does not look like a place for me.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:22 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,593 times
I was just in Vancouver last weekend, and there were more plates from the United States (Washington State mostly, but a huge contingent of California plates like me) than there were BC plates around tourist traps like Stanley Park.

I live way more than a 10 hour drive from Canada as well.

Unfortunately, due to more lax drinking laws in Canada, there are probably lots of young Americans who go to Canada to drink legally.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:26 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,484,749 times
I've only been to Manitoba and Western Ontario. Lake Manitoba and Lake Winnipeg are beautiful, The city of Winnipeg is pretty nice too, ill defiantly make it back there some day. Western Ontario is pretty much just a even more peaceful version of Northern Minnesota. didnt care to much for Thunder Bay though.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:28 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,440,237 times
I love Canada. <3 Quebec City is like nothing else in North America, and Ottawa is so beautiful, and Toronto and Montreal are so bustling and exciting, and Vancouver has those incredible mountains, and then you've got the Canadian Rockies and Quetico and Niagara and the charm of the Maritimes. I really don't know why more people don't visit Canada either.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:32 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
I think 10 hours of driving is well beyond the tolerance of many ... I also think this premise is a bit flawed when it comes to border areas as there is a lot of travel from both areas ..... many Americans do make that travel, especially those that are only a few hours from places like montreal, toronto, niagara falls, etc

there are border towns that are pretty much party destinations for americans as well

i also know a lot of people that blend between western washington and british columbia

I think where it gets a bit more isolated is in the manitoba/alberta area where you really don't have huge population centers that are close to each other and not that much of a draw to get people to hop on a flight

it's interesting that accorinding to 2009 Statistics Canada data that there were 11.67M overnight trips by americans to canada and 21.27M same day trips by americans to canada

this is way down from a decade ago when the overnight trips were closer to 17M and they are down for a number of reasons

however, that isn't an insignificant number

canadians do travel south a lot - 17.98M overnight trips to america and 21.27M same day trips

this is where it gets interesting for me .... the place that is most visited - NYC ... not surprising, it's on the radar for a lot of americans as well and is relatively close to a large number of canadians

however, the location where canadians spent the most number of nights in 2009 (a combined 47,488,000) is in FL .... so much of that population is doing the same thing as their northern US neighbors - heading south to escape the long winters

canadians also spend 2x the amount of time in the US than americans spend in canada (8 days to 4 days)

the number of overnight visitors to canada from places other than the US in 2008 was a combined 4.6M - roughly 1/3 of the overnight US visitors even at a time when US visitors are at an all time low

Old 08-14-2012, 11:32 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
I've been to Canada an even dozen times. Great place. However, three things I'd like to point out.

1) It's a haul for people in the Southern half of the U.S. to get to Canada.

2) Even Canadians drive through the United States a great deal of the time when driving cross-country. Most of of the Trans Canada I've driven (Around Lake Huron between Toronto and Sault Ste Marie) is two lanes or three lanes with not many amenities between towns. We stopped at a diner in some small town along the way and the waitress commented on our funny Southern accents. When we mentioned where we were driving, she said, "Why aren't you going through Michigan? That would be a lot easier."

3) The average Canadian gets 26 paid vacation days a year, while the average American gets 13 paid vacation days a year. So after Americans burn through 5 days a year just doing things like going to family events and the like, they have one week left. Not a lot of time to spend in the car driving up north.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:33 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
I don't know very many people who haven't been to Canada, but I love closer to the border so it may be different. Just from talking with people, the passport issue is a big hurdle to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.