U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 07:11 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,279,375 times

Advertisements

Just curious, but what metros would you compare the Triangle to? I've always drawn similarities with Charlotte and Atlanta, but any other opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 08:25 PM

351 posts, read 472,526 times
Its a smaller version of Northern VA to me

Old 06-04-2014, 08:42 PM

601 posts, read 793,425 times
Austin

Old 06-06-2014, 12:42 PM

21,224 posts, read 30,452,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Just curious, but what metros would you compare the Triangle to? I've always drawn similarities with Charlotte and Atlanta, but any other opinions?
Greensboro-Winston Salem-High Point is fairly similar. Not as polished perhaps but it does have quite a bit in common.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:30 PM

781 posts, read 1,096,959 times
Similar jobs as NOVA but the places are night and day from each other

Old 06-06-2014, 04:25 PM

29,961 posts, read 27,470,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Greensboro-Winston Salem-High Point is fairly similar. Not as polished perhaps but it does have quite a bit in common.
Agreed. Other metros would be Austin, NW Arkansas, Columbus, and Madison.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:44 PM

4,060 posts, read 4,474,420 times
Depends on what similarities you're looking at. Climate-wise, you'd only be looking at things in the S/SE,and sure, Austin would have some cross-over.

But as a function of the area as multiple core hubs that are both distinct but interdependent, I'd probably say the Twin Cities. Raleigh/Durham (and CH/Cary) are pretty different in many ways, but essential to the overall region's flavor.

If the traffic was much worse, and you were thinking of the interplay between major academic institutions (NCST/UNC/Duke) I might say Boston.

I don't really see much cross-over with Charlotte other than sharing the state, and that both grew quite a bit over the last 10-15 years.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:06 PM

3,777 posts, read 2,586,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The Triad is similar to the Triangle only in that they both have Tri in their names. They are very opposite in most other ways. The Triangle is very white collar and the Triad blue collar. The Triangle is largely (mostly) transplants from other states and countries, the Triad is mostly native NCians.

Very different cultures in the two metro areas. I grew up in and still live in the Triangle and while it is very nice and polished as Kyle says; the Triad does seem to have a little more character/blood in it's veins. I like Winston-Salem a lot actually.

But yeah; the Triad may only be 1/1.5 hours away and have a similar geographic set-up....but otherwise a very different region from the Triangle.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:31 PM

29,961 posts, read 27,470,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
The Triad is similar to the Triangle only in that they both have Tri in their names. They are very opposite in most other ways. The Triangle is very white collar and the Triad blue collar. The Triangle is largely (mostly) transplants from other states and countries, the Triad is mostly native NCians.

Very different cultures in the two metro areas. I grew up in and still live in the Triangle and while it is very nice and polished as Kyle says; the Triad does seem to have a little more character/blood in it's veins. I like Winston-Salem a lot actually.

But yeah; the Triad may only be 1/1.5 hours away and have a similar geographic set-up....but otherwise a very different region from the Triangle.
The two areas do have distinct vibes for sure as you've pointed out, but there are definitely similarities. Both are centers for higher ed with notable universities (UNC, Duke, Wake) and several HBCUs (Shaw, St. Augustine, NCCU, A&T, WSSU, Bennett). Winston-Salem and Durham share many similarities, having strong tobacco legacies (as does Greensboro as well) and being known as artsy cities.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:23 AM

21,224 posts, read 30,452,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post

I disagree with some of that assessment as their are some similarities beyond the three cities aspect. Most visibly the similarity between Winston Salem and Durham which are both post-tobacco industry towns that have morphed into more arts-oriented cities with a "cool vibe". Greensboro is quite similar to Raleigh in appearance/character and wouldn't call it blue-collar (or Winston Salem for that matter) as both cities have sizable white collar populations that include technology, education and health care, and the two cities have a household income averaging around 60K which is hardly blue collar territory in NC and household income levels as high as those in Raleigh-Durham (with a lower cost of living). I too like Winston-Salem a lot and nearly relocated there. I lived in the Durham-Chapel Hill area for 7 years also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or