Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 11:09 AM

12 posts, read 34,593 times

Advertisements

Little bit about myself, i am 30 Indian IT professional living with my wife 25 year old (American born and brought up). We currently live in chicago, i love chicago as it has lot of activities to do and lot of opportunities to for IT. My wife cannot stand cold weather due to fibromyalgia ,so we decided to move to warmer place. We initially chose TX because it is pretty much warm throughout the year, we have some family down there and lot of IT opportunities.

Lately she's been saying we should also consider FL because it has beaches ( she lovesss beaches, we live right on lake right now, ideally she would like to be in close proximity of a beach) because TX is very humid. Now i don't have to listen to everything she says ( cmon ... )..i think TX has lot of job opportunities, nice weather (agreed humid) and good schools but couldn't find any decent beaches.

I am requesting users to share there thoughts, should i move to FL or TX? both states don't have state tax, i think cost of living in pretty much same. From little bit of googling FL seems to have more crime. I want to know if all the states in TX are really very humid and if overall FL is better? Thanks in advance,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 11:45 AM

8,746 posts, read 9,029,109 times
Good beaches in Texas are scarce. South Padre Island has the best beach in Texas IMO, but it's a small resort town. If living in close proximity to good beaches is important to your wife, Florida would be the best option. They have the best beaches in the country.

Anywhere near the gulf coast in Texas is going to be humid. Florida is humid too. Really, the only part of Texas that isn't humid is west Texas.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:47 AM

533 posts, read 642,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by searchofnewplace View Post
Little bit about myself, i am 30 Indian IT professional living with my wife 25 year old (American born and brought up). We currently live in chicago, i love chicago as it has lot of activities to do and lot of opportunities to for IT. My wife cannot stand cold weather due to fibromyalgia ,so we decided to move to warmer place. We initially chose TX because it is pretty much warm throughout the year, we have some family down there and lot of IT opportunities.

Lately she's been saying we should also consider FL because it has beaches ( she lovesss beaches, we live right on lake right now, ideally she would like to be in close proximity of a beach) because TX is very humid. Now i don't have to listen to everything she says ( cmon ... )..i think TX has lot of job opportunities, nice weather (agreed humid) and good schools but couldn't find any decent beaches.

I am requesting users to share there thoughts, should i move to FL or TX? both states don't have state tax, i think cost of living in pretty much same. From little bit of googling FL seems to have more crime. I want to know if all the states in TX are really very humid and if overall FL is better? Thanks in advance,
I think you meant cities Not all cities in TX are humid. You can get a fairly wide variety of climate in TX. El Paso is very dry, Houston is very humid. Dallas is humid but nothing in comparison to FL or Houston. Pretty much the entire state of FL is humid. I'm sure living close to the beach would help with the humidity. For IT job opportunities, I'd say TX hands down. If you are looking for affordability, then you'd have to compare apples to apples. If you compare Miami to Dallas or Houston, then TX is cheaper. If you are comparing Tampa to Austin, I think Tampa would be cheaper. So I guess, the COL really depends on where you choose within each state. You should take a vacation to each state, or at least to TX to see if it is the right fit.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:03 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
You'd be crazy to move without taking trips during worse part of year in either area. At same time you can see now it socially fits you in each. As far as technology jobs Texas is way beyond Florida. Florida is much more into beaches thus tourist industry being so much of economy. Both Texas and Florida has huge social differences within regionally.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:26 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,265,421 times
Don't forget Florida is every bit as humid as Tx.

USATODAY.com - Answers: Is Florida or Texas more humid

Old 06-05-2014, 12:39 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
When I read "Indian" and "IT" in your first post, Dallas was the very first thing that pops to mind (well, Plano and Irving anyway).

Old 06-05-2014, 01:29 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,484,744 times
It sounds like close proximity to beaches is a top priority, so I would start focusing in on Florida. The Texas beaches just don't compare. Plus, a lot of Texas is pretty far from the ocean, and it does get pretty cold here in the winter. I'm sure there are plenty of IT jobs in Florida too.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:31 PM

12 posts, read 34,593 times
Thanks everyone. Still exploring, i will keep you posted.

Old 06-06-2014, 12:55 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
I just spent 11 days in Texas and it is awesome! I've been many times before but I think this time I finally peeled beyond the first layer and I am impressed. Alright, that said, here are my thoughts...from a guy who also loves, and used to live in, Chicago.

These statements concern the four biggest metros in each state. Beaches are hands down better in FL. IT opportunities more abundant in Texas. Huge Indian populations in Dallas and Houston, although Orlando, Tampa and Jax have decent-sized Indian communities. Humidity awful everywhere except Dallas. If you want to live near water or on the beach then Jax or Tampa/St Pete. Good luck!

Old 06-06-2014, 08:40 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,096,821 times
I doubt you'll meet much racism in any of these areas. Houston has the best access to beaches for Texas, but it won't compare to Florida. You may want to make a trip and visit the possible options. In Florida you would want to see Miami, Tampa (aka Tampa Bay), and Jacksonville.

The job market is much better in Texas. The cost of living is better in Texas. The beaches are better in Florida. Of course, the job market matters less after you have a job, and I'd suggest not moving until you find one. So you might browse listings in both areas and apply until you get something good then move, or you could do the trip and figure out which city is ideal, and then just focus a job search on that city. It depends on whether the job or the city is more important to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.