U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2014, 01:44 AM

42 posts, read 50,913 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I have 2 big and complicated questions, and i need that american people give me some useful answers. Or may be not americans, but somebody, who is living in US and know that country.
Here are the questions:

1. I am going to find a job in another state, and i need some advice for it. For example, i post resume, and some employer from another state calls me. What is the procedure of negotiation? I mean, that employer would ask something like "when would you be ready to go to work?". But i need to calculate, how many days it will take for me to get that destination (by car), rent some appartament there, after that change my driving license, etc.. Could you give me advice, what is the best way to tell that to the employer and HOW to say that?

2. My second question: where can i find some guide for people, who are going to make road trip from one state to another? Especially if it would be long trip, for example, through many states? Because i am foreigner, who almost doesn't know anything about that country and with very weak English, it probably would be a big challenge. That is why i am asking some advice. Now some more particular questions about road trip:

2.1. How to deal with the toll roads? For example, here, in Miami, where i am right now, i am using Sunpass system to pay for using toll roads - it is just a little sticker on the windshield of my car, and everytime when i pass through the toll road, it deducts payment from my account. But i am pretty sure, that it would not work in another places. Sorry, if my question is too stupid, i just drive the car only 3 months, and i have never driven car before in my whole life. I know, that on some toll roads exists something like booth or cabin (sorry if i am using the wrong word), where the cashier sits, so i suppose that i just should approach that place and pay, right? But the question is - should i say something in that moment or not? And by the way, does the United States have any single (one, united, global!) payment system for toll roads, or it is very individually for each state?

2.2. What is the procedure of passing through the state's border? I mean, are there some security checkpoints (with soldiers and police with dogs??), where i must show my documents? If so, tell me more about that.

2.3. GPS navigation. Currently i am using google-map gps on my metro-pcs smartphone. It is free and simple, but i cannot trust that in such important and dangerous event as my first road trip. So could somebody recommend me which gps-navigator to choose?

2.4. All other remaining preparations and precautions. I already bought fire extinguisher, additional wheel (instead that stupid small wheel that was in my trunk before) and first aid kit. So if something happens, i would be able to remove the fire, heal wounds and replace broken wheel (i have special leaf spring mechanism to lift car during replacing the wheel). What else? May be i forgot something?

That is it for now.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 07:42 AM

6,320 posts, read 6,989,633 times
My quick opinions:

1. This is a complex situation. It's hard to get a job pre-relocation and it's hard to get an apt without a job. Silly as it sounds. If you are not trying to hide the fact that you are not local, then I would just say that you are willing to start immediately but will be relocating from Miami. They will understand that you'll need a little time to get to your new location. 1-2 weeks sounds about right if you really need a timeframe in your mind.

2. AAA used to be perfect for this. But you'd have to pay for a membership. Nowadays, it's pretty much unnecessary you can find all the information you'd want online.

2.1 No global payment. You should plan to have cash and change. No need to talk to toll booth workers unless you have a question. Just pay them an move on. Coins are important because some tolls don't have people and only have machines.

2.2 You must honk three times and pull over to take a picture next to the state sign while wearing the state colors. No, seriously there is nothing you have to worry about. The states all have open borders with one another. You might, if this interests you, make a stop at the welcome centers usually located directly off the interstate within a couple miles of the border. There you can ask questions, get maps, etc to learn about the state you are entering.

2.3 To me that GPS should be fine. Should be up-to-date.

2.4 You sound quite prepared to me! Good luck!

Old 06-08-2014, 01:01 PM

6,413 posts, read 10,402,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton_LF View Post
2.2. What is the procedure of passing through the state's border? I mean, are there some security checkpoints (with soldiers and police with dogs??), where i must show my documents? If so, tell me more about that.
There is no kind of control at state borders. The only exception to that are California and Hawaii, where there is an agricultural inspection, as you can't bring in specific fruits or flowers to those states.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:34 AM

2,478 posts, read 4,875,333 times
You will more than likely have to relocate and secure a job in your new city after you get there. Unless you have some type of hard to find skillset. Most employers aren't going to hire someone from out of state because 1) they don't know if you'll ever arrive 2) you may get homesick and return 3) there is usually a plethora of local candidates who can not only interview right away but can start right away. I've got 7 interstate moves under my belt and have never been able to get a job prior to moving.

Old 06-09-2014, 10:00 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,356,272 times
You are worrying too much about things that will not happen.

When you communicate with a prospective employer, simply explain that you are in Florida, and you will need a few days to arrange your affairs and travel to the jobsite. Ask him how soon he needs you, and if you feel that it will take more time, ask him to negotiate an adjusted start date (but don't tell him he has to -- that would be a courtesy).

America is a very easy country to drive through. It is easy (and highly recommended) to avoid using toll roads. You can pump your own gas and swipe a credit card, and never meet or talk to anybody. Learn to say "Big Mac" and you will always have something to eat. A simple Road Atlas ($5.95 at WalMart) is all you need to find your way to any city, town or village in the USA, the roads are well signposted to match road map designations (except New Mexico, and minor local roads in Illinois and North Carolina). Your car will not catch on fire. If it does, run away. Fire extinguishers are not mandatory in cars (nor is anything else, except lights and brakes).

You can sleep in your car safely just about anywhere, such as truck stops, and highway rest areas in states where they have not been closed and barricaded. Also allnight gas stations and WalMart parking lots, but tell an employee inside you plan to sleep in your car there.

When you arrive in your destination city, you can find a motel for no more than $40 a night, less than that if you pay by the week. That will give you time to look for an apartment after you have started working. You will have 30 days to change your car and drivers license, and that is rarely enforced, so don't worry about it. The legal definition of "residence" is virtually non-existent in American states, where freedom of movement is constitutionally guaranteed. As indicated above, there are a few places where transport of agricultural commodities is inspected, but no person is ever impeded at a state line.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-09-2014 at 10:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or