Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 11:28 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,342,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbarto150 View Post
The Proud
Chicago
San Francisco
New Orleans
Philidelphia
Houston
San Antonio

The Arrogant
Washington D.C.
New York
Los Angeles
Dallas
San Diego
Austin
switch SF and LA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 11:43 AM

74 posts, read 318,268 times
Hmm, actually now that you mention it I really think both should go in the arrogant column. Although I think SF has more deserved pride than LA which seems to get its pride from being trendy.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbarto150 View Post
Hmm, actually now that you mention it I really think both should go in the arrogant column. Although I think SF has more deserved pride than LA which seems to get its pride from being trendy.
The way I see it is that SF is always touting itself for what it has while LA is always defending itself for what it has. I think they should both be proud, but I see one as more "arrogant," to put it in your words. Then again, I'm greatly influenced by proximity.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:06 PM

302 posts, read 933,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
The way I see it is that SF is always touting itself for what it has while LA is always defending itself for what it has. I think they should both be proud, but I see one as more "arrogant," to put it in your words. Then again, I'm greatly influenced by proximity.
Cities are cities and people are going to love them or hate them. San Francisco, IMO <--- again IMO, is a magical place. Yes, I love talking about it and people may view that as arrogance, but it's not. I live in the only place in the U.S. I want to live. I am lucky. Still, I wish we had LA's weather and NYC's theater. This place is not the be all end all, but for me it's as perfect of a fit as I'm going to get.

Last edited by gellio_sf; 12-18-2007 at 02:50 PM..

Old 12-18-2007, 02:32 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,434,039 times
Many people in Atlanta like to say that the only thing Atlanta is missing is a beach and this leads to a popular saying about Atlanta boosterism.

"If Atlanta could suck as hard as they blow (there own horn that is ) Atlanta would have a beach. (From sucking the Atlantic Ocean right up to Atlanta.)

Old 12-18-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gellio_sf View Post
Cities are cities and people are going to love them or hate them. San Francisco, IMO <--- again IMO, is a magical place. Yes, I love talking about it and people may view that as arrogance, but it's not. I live in the only place in the U.S. I want to live. I am lucky. Still, I wish we had LA's weather and NYC's theater. This place is not the be all end all, but for me it's as perfect of a fit as I'm going to get.
That's why I said there's something of which to be proud. I was trying to distinguish between a city and its citizens. San Francisco is a great place, but I'm not big on San Franciscans at all. That's what this thread is about: people.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:
That's why I said there's something of which to be proud. I was trying to distinguish between a city and its citizens. San Francisco is a great place, but I'm not big on San Franciscans at all. That's what this thread is about: people.
Right, and I'm saying I don't think San Franciscans are arrogant. Just proud. And we should be. We live in one of the most beautiful, interesting and exciting places. That's truth. Not arrogance.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gellio_sf View Post
Right, and I'm saying I don't think San Franciscans are arrogant. Just proud. And we should be. We live in one of the most beautiful, interesting and exciting places. That's truth. Not arrogance.
The arrogance is applied to other cities in the area. Oakland is a "ghetto," San Jose is a "suburb," Sacramento is a "cowtown," etcetera. I won't even get into the Los Angeles complex.

Only San Francisco is worth a **** to San Franciscans. No other city has anything to offer over it.

EDIT: Nevermind, this whole time I was thinking of the "put a city in its place thread." SF can go ahead tooting it's own horn. My bad.

Last edited by krudmonk; 12-18-2007 at 03:26 PM..

Old 12-18-2007, 03:40 PM

Quote:
The arrogance is applied to other cities in the area. Oakland is a "ghetto," San Jose is a "suburb," Sacramento is a "cowtown," etcetera. I won't even get into the Los Angeles complex.

Only San Francisco is worth a **** to San Franciscans. No other city has anything to offer over it.

EDIT: Nevermind, this whole time I was thinking of the "put a city in its place thread." SF can go ahead tooting it's own horn. My bad.
Your statements are nothing more than generalizations. Many San Franciscans are well-travelled (at least my circle) and value experiencing other places. But, San Francisco is, and will always be the unchallenged premier city is the Bay Area. San Jose may be larger, but it is like a suburb. That's not a knock on San Jose. It just will never be a threat to SF in terms of the greatest city in the Bay Area. Oakland is not a ghetto - it has it's parts, but so does San Francisco. San Francisco and LA are so completely different. The things I love about San Francisco are completely absent in LA. Likewise, if you like warmer and sunnier weather, LA wins.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:46 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,572,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Many people in Atlanta like to say that the only thing Atlanta is missing is a beach and this leads to a popular saying about Atlanta boosterism.

"If Atlanta could suck as hard as they blow (there own horn that is ) Atlanta would have a beach. (From sucking the Atlantic Ocean right up to Atlanta.)
I personally think that Atlanta is worth much of the hype. I mean, I always enjoy myself when I'm there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.