Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 12:40 PM

152 posts, read 878,321 times

Advertisements

I would say California if you consider the state as a whole. Many Californians seem to think they are superior to other states based on their weather alone. I think the "diversity" argument is bogus and overblown. I know many San Franciscans that refer to their city as the best and most enlightened on the face of the earth. Dallas also comes across as rather pompous, but for different reasons. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 12:54 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcapitan View Post
I know many San Franciscans that refer to their city as the best and most enlightened on the face of the earth.
Well,
can you blame us?

jk

Old 12-14-2007, 01:06 PM

884 posts, read 1,034,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well,
can you blame us?

jk
Yuk.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:27 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,029,877 times
Chicago.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:35 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Indianapolis.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:41 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Chicago.
...which is why it was called the "Windy City". Chicagoans are a very proud lot, but not in an arrogant way. If you want to make friends quickly in Chicago, go to a bar, put on "Sweet Home Chicago" in the jukebox, and buy pitchers for the house; you'll have friends for life!

To me the most arrogant lot would be Long Islanders. Back in college at UW-Madison, a lot of Long Islanders would sort of look down at Midwesterners as hicks and brag about being from the big city. Well a few years ago I went to Long Island for the first time and guess what...IT'S NOTHING SPECIAL! They have WalMarts, Applebees, and Home Depots just like anywhere else! Also, I'm sure those kids' parents would never let them go into the city by themselves. There's absolutely nothing about Long Island that says New York City.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:49 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,717,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
...which is why it was called the "Windy City". Chicagoans are a very proud lot, but not in an arrogant way. If you want to make friends quickly in Chicago, go to a bar, put on "Sweet Home Chicago" in the jukebox, and buy pitchers for the house; you'll have friends for life!

To me the most arrogant lot would be Long Islanders. Back in college at UW-Madison, a lot of Long Islanders would sort of look down at Midwesterners as hicks and brag about being from the big city. Well a few years ago I went to Long Island for the first time and guess what...IT'S NOTHING SPECIAL! They have WalMarts, Applebees, and Home Depots just like anywhere else! Also, I'm sure those kids' parents would never let them go into the city by themselves. There's absolutely nothing about Long Island that says New York City.
Amen! My best office friend is from Commack, and my ex is from Hewlett. Both of them act like Long Island is Manhattan East. I find Strong Island (as many of its residents call it) very bland with horrendous traffic, but that could be said for 95% of suburbs nationwide.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:05 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,230 times
Chicago and all cities in Texas.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:46 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post

The oldest continuously operating general store in the United States is on Long Island; St. James Store.

Wine is becoming more well-known throughout eastern Long Island.

The Village of Bay Shore, which dates back to 1708 is on Long Island.

Jones Beach, which was rated one of the best beaches in America, is on Long Island.

The Walking Dunes of Hither Hills State Park is on Long Island. The sand is pushing back shrub oak trees there at a rate of about 3-10 feet per year.

Montauk Point Lighthoue, the 4th oldest lighthouse in the US, is on Long Island.

Horton Point Lighthouse, first commisioned by President George Washington, is on Long Island.

Long Island is extremely nice, especially when you get close to Greenport and Montauk.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:27 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times
All New Yorkers (city and burbs) have a swagger. It's because they live in a place that is idolized by the world. Long Island is a cool place. Some parts are slow and very residential, other parts are really upscale and fast paced and fun. If you think its bland then go to the Hamptons? It's funny because coming from the east coast, NY is just NY to us. If you go to Boston or DC, people don't have that inferiority complex like in other cities.

Last edited by DC's Finest; 12-14-2007 at 03:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.