Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 11:26 AM

6 posts, read 6,195 times

Advertisements

I still am in shock that every American I meet IRL asks me to say "aboot" for them? When I say it they even get disappointed that I don't have the type of "accent" that they want to hear. Do they not realize that Canadian Raising is regionally and class based? Not everyone has it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 04:59 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

who cares the way Canadians sound when they say about - seriously get over it lol...

Old 11-06-2015, 10:38 PM

68 posts, read 117,313 times
I haven't read through the entire thread, but wow is there is a lot of generalizing from what i've read, specifically that there is a single 'Canadian accent' or a single Canadian way to pronounce words.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:53 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
The different accents should be applauded, not discarded. While the Canada/US differences are not major, they should be kept alive only to slightly differentiate the populations. Nothing wrong with that. Or nothing wrong a-bout that.

Old 11-06-2015, 11:29 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
SORRY, but what has this BEEN all ABOUT?

Old 11-08-2015, 04:55 PM

I will try to answer, but need to check my shedsule. OK, I'm done with those .

Perhaps another sub-thread topic is how those from Canada react to US news and culture. The fact is more US TV is available in Canada than Canadian TV is in the US, (excepting certain northern tier US towns, no need to mention them).

What does this really mean for Canada? (I would ask for the US, but I don't think the answer would shed any light nor any viewer numbers that would make a hill of beans.)

Canadian viewers, nearly 100% are exposed to US tv. This must have some cultural influence, and probably has had for many decades.

I would like to hear from Canadians who shun US tv and why. I would also like to hear from Canadians who watch US tv and why.

Perhaps this could offer some light into these patterns. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against CBC or CTV, in fact whenever I have a chance I tune them in to watch.

But this close border/cultural boundary is somewhat unique as both countries are friendly and tend to enjoy similar television products, IMO.

Old 11-08-2015, 05:49 PM

9 posts, read 6,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I will try to answer, but need to check my shedsule. OK, I'm done with those .

Perhaps another sub-thread topic is how those from Canada react to US news and culture. The fact is more US TV is available in Canada than Canadian TV is in the US, (excepting certain northern tier US towns, no need to mention them).

What does this really mean for Canada? (I would ask for the US, but I don't think the answer would shed any light nor any viewer numbers that would make a hill of beans.)

Canadian viewers, nearly 100% are exposed to US tv. This must have some cultural influence, and probably has had for many decades.

I would like to hear from Canadians who shun US tv and why. I would also like to hear from Canadians who watch US tv and why.

Perhaps this could offer some light into these patterns. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against CBC or CTV, in fact whenever I have a chance I tune them in to watch.

But this close border/cultural boundary is somewhat unique as both countries are friendly and tend to enjoy similar television products, IMO.

As a Canadian I find US culture violent and backwater to me. I find American accents to be very "drawly" or "twangy" and just downright obnoxious sounding.

Americsn events and cultural practices to me are from another planet. All the guns and religiousness takes me aback. It's like are you kidding?

Mass shootings and race riots and racial tension just make me sad. You'd never see any of this stuff in Canada

Old 11-08-2015, 06:22 PM

OK, that is a good answer. But my question remains, do you watch U.S. tv on a regular basis?

Old 11-08-2015, 06:37 PM

9 posts, read 6,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
OK, that is a good answer. But my question remains, do you watch U.S. tv on a regular basis?
American news, not that much. American TV occasionally.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:38 PM

150 posts, read 215,296 times
Minnesotans, Dakotans, Wisconsinites, etc, sound more like Canadians apparently sound than actual Canadians do...

I've lived in Canada (Toronto) all my life. The first time I ever heard anyone say "aboot" was when I was in Duluth, Minnesota.

The only true stereotype is that we say "eh", but we say it like "hey" without the h, and not like a drunk with cerebral palsy like Bob & Doug McKenzie do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.