Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 09:40 PM

579 posts, read 664,073 times

Advertisements

It won't be overly obvious but it would be on a level of telling apart Americans from different regions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 12:44 AM

160 posts, read 335,143 times
Canadians and Americans do sound different. Foreigners might not be able to tell them apart though since they're not as different as British, Australian, South African, and Caribbean dialects. Just watch a press conference between a U.S. President and a Canadian Prime Minister (excl. native French Speakers), or compare newscasts. I'm talking about the so-called "standard" American and Canadian accents. For example, people in Newfoundland sound different from the rest of Canada, even the Maritimes.

I lived in Toronto a few years ago. I noticed that many teenagers and people in their 20s sound American. This is probably due to the huge cultural influence of the U.S. Many teenage girls have valley girl accents. Also, many Canadians either work, study, or frequently travel to the U.S.

This is how I would describe the Canadian accent (vs. American): softer,mellower, people speak slower, Canadian raising in diphthongs, s is more emphasized, and r is softer. Anyone agree?

Last edited by Marissa23; 08-02-2015 at 12:49 AM.. Reason: add info

Old 08-02-2015, 07:58 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times
Canadians seem to cling onto more British roots like with their spelling, but that's about it. Regardless of what they think, they have more in common with America than any other nation.

I have a friend from Toronto who sounds American.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:17 AM

579 posts, read 664,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissa23 View Post
Canadians and Americans do sound different. Foreigners might not be able to tell them apart though since they're not as different as British, Australian, South African, and Caribbean dialects. Just watch a press conference between a U.S. President and a Canadian Prime Minister (excl. native French Speakers), or compare newscasts. I'm talking about the so-called "standard" American and Canadian accents. For example, people in Newfoundland sound different from the rest of Canada, even the Maritimes.

I lived in Toronto a few years ago. I noticed that many teenagers and people in their 20s sound American. This is probably due to the huge cultural influence of the U.S. Many teenage girls have valley girl accents. Also, many Canadians either work, study, or frequently travel to the U.S.

This is how I would describe the Canadian accent (vs. American): softer,mellower, people speak slower, Canadian raising in diphthongs, s is more emphasized, and r is softer. Anyone agree?
The only level at which it could be worthwhile for most Canadians to study in the US is at the PhD level. It's quite different from work or travel in this respect.

The undergraduate cost differential is just too high, even for those who live out of commuting range from a university.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:47 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvanung View Post
The only level at which it could be worthwhile for most Canadians to study in the US is at the PhD level. It's quite different from work or travel in this respect.

I agree, I don't think a lot of Torontonians or Anglo Canadians in general have travelled to the U.S enough or long enough for it to impact their accent. The only exception are the small minority who leave to work or retire and by that time they'd have to spend A LOT of time in the U.S for their speech/accent to change. I don't even think watching U.S Television is enough to influence accent.. Most anglo Canadians including those from the Maritimes watch as much U.S TV as joe blow from Toronto or Vancouver and it doesn't impact their speech/accent to any appreciable degree. I also definitely notice a difference between our accent in southern Ontario as soon as I cross the border into NY, Michigan etc, not to the degree of flying into London England but certainly different.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:24 AM

160 posts, read 335,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvanung View Post

The undergraduate cost differential is just too high, even for those who live out of commuting range from a university.
I met a few Canadians who went to the U.S. for graduate and professional degrees. Yes, it's more expensive, but I think some of them got grants and scholarships. Others either had parents who could afford it or took out loans. Some Canadians who can't get into programs of their choice in Canada go to the U.S. or Australia. Many people in IT go to the U.S. I've never been to the Maritimes so my guess is that maybe in that region there's less of a cultural influence of the U.S.

Still, do you agree with my description of Canadian English?

Old 08-02-2015, 04:06 PM

62 posts, read 69,674 times
Playing hockey with Canadians you can tell the differences between the two. Whether they are from Alberta, Ontario, whatever. There is an accent, how they pronounce words, etc.

Old 08-02-2015, 04:09 PM

469 posts, read 576,431 times
Unless it's a French Canadian, not usually.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,137 times
Oh yes. Canadians have a funny accent. It always makes my heart smile how they pronounce about as "aboot" or "aboat". It's so cute.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:47 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,962,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissa23 View Post

That sounds pretty accurate to me. Though, I think it's not just an age thing. I know people in their 30s and 40s in Canada who sound kinda American, and I've known teenagers with thick accents. I'd say accents have been fairly stable among people born after about 1970. People born prior to that almost invariably have noticeable and stronger accents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.