Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 01:26 PM

342 posts, read 507,840 times

Advertisements

Can you tell the difference between a Canadian (English) and American? Is it easy or hard?

I am Canadian and live in the US. One of the striking things about my experience that people usually do not know I am "foreign" until I tell them. Some of my friends were unaware I was from another country until we had been acquantances a couple of weeks and I told them. There have been people who asked if I am from Canada (and Minnesota ) but they have been the minority. I am from west coast Canada (BC) if that makes a difference. I think Ontario is a lot like the midwest, so maybe people in on the coasts find my culture more similar?

I do think there are differences though. Americans are more jovial and positive. The guys in the US are definitely more assertive and confident, which is a huge plus. A "Lets do it!" state of mind! A lot of guys in Canada are passive aggressive and I cant stand it. I dont care how non-mainstream or alternative you are its just lame and kind of a downer! I have only lived in two regions (California and Washington DC) but I plan to visit more parts of the country. It would be interesting to see if people in Minnesota resemble us because people seem to think we sound alike. I dont hear it but it will be interesting to see myself.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 01:56 PM

32,493 posts, read 47,447,506 times
There's no difference that I can tell on the west coast. The western Canadians have the same accent, wear the same clothes, drive the same cars, live in houses that look the same. They use hectares instead of acres and that is the only difference I can tell.

I've never seen anything wrong with their confidence levels or sense of humor.

Old 06-07-2014, 02:09 PM

14,848 posts, read 21,386,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post
Can you tell the difference between a Canadian (English) and American? Is it easy or hard?

I am Canadian and live in the US. One of the striking things about my experience that people usually do not know I am "foreign" until I tell them. Some of my friends were unaware I was from another country until we had been acquantances a couple of weeks and I told them. There have been people who asked if I am from Canada (and Minnesota ) but they have been the minority. I am from west coast Canada (BC) if that makes a difference. I think Ontario is a lot like the midwest, so maybe people in on the coasts find my culture more similar?

I do think there are differences though. Americans are more jovial and positive. The guys in the US are definitely more assertive and confident, which is a huge plus. A "Lets do it!" state of mind! A lot of guys in Canada are passive aggressive and I cant stand it. I dont care how non-mainstream or alternative you are its just lame and kind of a downer! I have only lived in two regions (California and Washington DC) but I plan to visit more parts of the country. It would be interesting to see if people in Minnesota resemble us because people seem to think we sound alike. I dont hear it but it will be interesting to see myself.

What do you think?
So Canadian males are hipsters? :P

Old 06-07-2014, 02:32 PM

43 posts, read 71,686 times
General Canadian and American accent is the same; however, Canada uses a mix of British and American spelling (such as uses ou in honour, labour and colour, and re, such as in centre, metre, etc.). Canadian typically say "Washroom" while in the U.S. it is typically called for "Restroom" or "Bathroom". Canada uses z spelling rather than s like in the U.S. for words like personalize, hospitalize, etc. Canada uses same term like the U.S. for elevator (Lift in British English) and many other words.

Overall, Canadian and US English is the same. Canada has more in common with the US than with Australia and British English.
You cannot tell a difference when Canadian or American speak.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:58 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,545,710 times
To me, Canadians don't even seem "foreign". Most of the differences between Canada and the US seem purely political rather than cultural.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:10 PM

6,779 posts, read 5,918,157 times
If I catch them saying "zed" instead of "zee" than I can catch them.

Otherwise, picking a Canadian out of a crowd of Americans can be difficult.

There are some Canadians who say "soary" and "aboot", but I don't know if that's a majority of Canadians...

Old 06-07-2014, 06:28 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,353,946 times
Quote:

What do you think?
For me, that vast majority of Americans have a strong accent that I can pick out immediately. Vowels are the key, as are words. Ask an American how much their Hydro is, and you will probably get a strange look.

As for the west coast of Canada and the US it really depends where you are. Coming from Vancouver to Seattle I notice more of an accent in Seattle than I do in L.A. Go outside of L.A. and the accent seems much stronger.
I am immediately pegged as foreign when I'm in the states. Canadians from N.W.T. Newfoundland, New Brunswick don't sound anything like an " American "

As for jovial and positive…well lucky you that you've bumped into the happy ones. I don't really take this poll seriously but the Happy Index says Canadians are happier…. The data | Happy Planet Index

Old 06-07-2014, 06:35 PM

12 posts, read 24,355 times
Quote:
There have been people who asked if I am from Canada (and Minnesota ) but they have been the minority.
On that topic. A lot of people from Minnesota, Northern Wisconsin, and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan have a "Canadian accent". You know the people that might say "Eh soary I'm aboot to get oot of ur way" I know they're generally from Central Canada but I've picked up on it when I've been in Vancouver and a little in Eastern Canada.

Unless you're wearing a trapper hat and talking about the moose that made you late to work one day I'm not going to assume you're Canadian.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:54 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,353,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollswithandywarhol View Post
On that topic. A lot of people from Minnesota, Northern Wisconsin, and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan have a "Canadian accent". You know the people that might say "Eh soary I'm aboot to get oot of ur way" I know they're generally from Central Canada but I've picked up on it when I've been in Vancouver and a little in Eastern Canada.

Unless you're wearing a trapper hat and talking about the moose that made you late to work one day I'm not going to assume you're Canadian.
I think Americans tend to think people from those northern U.S.places you mentioned, sound like Canadians. I don't believe most Canadians think they do. They might find some similarities.
Also when Americans talk about a Canadian accent, they are usually thinking of the stereotypical accent that comedians talk about.
Trapper hat? LOL
I bet if someone from Newfoundland sans chapeau, were talking to you, you'd know they're not from the U.S.

Old 06-07-2014, 07:22 PM

10,721 posts, read 23,638,873 times
Sometimes Canadian accents fall flat and sound like anywhere Middle America. Then there are accents like Rob Ford which I guess is sort of like a Staten Island meets To-RAHN-to. The second a Newfie or Quebecois opened their mouth I'd know right off the bat that they were Canadian.

But then there is Quebec with their distinct society propaganda, which I get that it works for them to retain their unique place in North America. However I've seen some of their asshat PQ politicians. "Oh yes, we will still use the loonies and toonies but we want to be a sovereign country" or something to that effect.

It's also hard not to chuckle at the Rob Ford hysteria. American media tends to ignore Canada for the most part. The police shootings up in New Brunswick where 3 police officers were killed this week basically got a 45 second breath of airtime in the headlines. But when out of the blue there is a crack smoking mayor in Toronto, oh boy they'll flock to that story like parasites.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 06-07-2014 at 07:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.