Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 03:31 PM

229 posts, read 1,177,839 times

Advertisements

Is there a lot of honking in your city or region? Do you honk your horn?

I noticed today when driving I honk a lot. I live in New York City and it seems quite a few of my fellow city dwellers do as well. While pressing the small trumpet icon on the steering wheel today for a solid 2 minutes, I remembered some cities don't this. I was honking at a car from Virginia, and she looked very alarmed at my "gesture."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 04:43 PM

333 posts, read 462,530 times
I honk a lot too, but only when it's well-deserved. I'm not impatient enough to honk as soon as the light turns green, but I will lay it on if someone blatantly cuts me off without the use of a signal. I live in Connecticut about 45 minutes north of Manhattan - maybe it's a northern thing, or maybe it's just bad drivers around here.

When I was in Richmond I honked at a soccer mom who cut me off on her cell phone with her kids in the car. She did look surprised but really, if you're cutting someone off, what do you expect?

I've also noticed a lot of hand gestures in the NY, NJ and CT area but that's another thread. Merry Christmas all

Old 12-24-2007, 05:02 PM

274 posts, read 317,118 times
I live in Manhattan and I honk a lot. Especially at the cabbies.

Old 12-24-2007, 05:43 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,313,077 times
I honk in Chicago or New York. I'd probably have little compunction about honking in any big city. Small towns? Never. I'm also less inclined to honk down south.

In some areas it's expected. In others, it's very rude unless it's an emergency. I grew up NEVER honking unless it was totally necessary.

Old 12-24-2007, 06:07 PM

2,247 posts, read 6,999,029 times
I get road rage frequently, so yes I sound my horn at drivers who irritate me.

When I'm stopped at a red light, I only give the driver ahead of me 2 (two) seconds to go before I honk at him. Rude yes, but I be having stuff to do!!!

Old 12-24-2007, 07:44 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,101,383 times
Thumbs up No honking

One of the first things I noticed when moving from New England to North Carolina was that no one honked their horns unless to warn someone of danger. Honking is considered rude here.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:54 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,015,028 times
I'm in the Kansas City metro area, and I never observe people honking.

Old 12-25-2007, 03:31 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,195,980 times
Honking is considered against the law here in Vegas, at least I still think it is.

Old 12-25-2007, 03:43 AM

498 posts, read 1,514,692 times
Talking Unite

Yep, I'm pretty sure it is illegal here where I am in Illinois. Even if you are honking to capture a friends attention. I guess we shouldn't go botherin each other while we are trying to drive. I will honk if I think someone is going to run over me. Around here, when ever someone gets married than the percetion of vehicles go through town and honk all the way. Sometimes they'll go all over town like that. And during a road rage I will honk my horn. My bad>. I do try to control that though.

LIVE LAUGH AND LOVE MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL!!

Old 12-25-2007, 05:03 AM
CNI

194 posts, read 576,253 times
I had a similar thread (Car/Motorvehicle Horn Usage In Your City) on the General U.S. forum a while back.
My opinion is that drivers need to be re-educated regarding horn usage. I think many accidents could be avoided if more drivers used their horns.
I've seen drivers not honk when another car is backing out of a parking space and about to hit them. I've had other drivers honk at me when I didn't see them in my blindspot - helping me avoid an accident. If people stop getting offended and taking it personally then things would be fine. Actually, people take way too many things associated with driving way too personally.
I assume the original intent of including the horn on the car was to allow drivers to communicate intent to each other. Otherwise, take it off the car (and reduce the price).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.