Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 12:09 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,834,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuyTownRefugee View Post
Oh yes I've lived there and travel there frequently now on business and pleasure. I've lived there off and on all my life.

I lived off Beryl Ave in Redondo up the hill also later in North Redondo near TRW just before you get to Manhattan Beach. But it was years ago in College out there as undergrad.
What a small world--I know Beryl like the back of my hand. I used to walk over there all the time. Owned a townhouse on Vanderbilt Lane, not even 1/2 mile from you. I also rented a house on Pine Ave. in Hermosa Beach--had a nice view, wish I had been smart enough to buy it when the owner put it up for sale.

Quote:
What was the name of your book I'd like to get it if you can post it here. It struck my interest iirc.
"A Toast To Murder." Available mostly in bargain bins these day, I'm afraid. I don't think the bookstores have it on their shelves anymore, although you can still buy it at the Reston Museum. You can also get it at www.keogan.com.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 12:11 PM

333 posts, read 462,796 times
Quote:
You've never done that about other regions? proclaiming all states with a group are as a monolith?

Maybe it's that filthy New Haven line they're always complaining about on the news and feel ignored.

Sorry but many train stations in CT are very much like that old wooden coffin type just like VT and one attendant saying "uh yep" and closing up to get out before his few passengers have time to check in. Very Twilght Zone.

God knows what he's doing behind that counter all boarded up.
You can make generalizations regarding an area if the generalizations are correct. I actually find this sense of humor you claim you have to be quite odd.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:18 PM

646 posts, read 805,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
What a small world--I know Beryl like the back of my hand. I used to walk over there all the time. Owned a townhouse on Vanderbilt Lane, not even 1/2 mile from you. I also rented a house on Pine Ave. in Hermosa Beach--had a nice view, wish I had been smart enough to buy it when the owner put it up for sale.

"A Toast To Murder." Available mostly in bargain bins these day, I'm afraid. I don't think the bookstores have it on their shelves anymore, although you can still buy it at the Reston Museum. You can also get it at www.keogan.com.

Beryl had a fantastic view, up the coast to Playa almost as good or probably is as the Amalfi Coast. Gosh California is so awesome.

I used to hang out at Redondo Pier, Happy Clam, Hoolihans, El Torito. But also frequented Beachbum Burts in Hermosa. Stayed a lot in Hermosa.

I'll look for it thought it was new but it sounds good.

Currently I live in NYC , Manhattan 11 years now but go away often as I said before but especially just after the holidays and winter elsewhere.

I have to go a lot to the McLean area.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:21 PM

I'm female, and married. LOL, it's been a long time since a young man asked me if I was married! You made my day...

Old 12-17-2007, 12:26 PM

"New" is a relative term. It published last July. This is why people don't get rich by writing a book. It takes years to write it, and then it's already off the shelves just a few months after it's published.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:30 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,541,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
I suppose there are regional differences in humour. Where in the USA do people tend to have a subtle dry sense of humour?
Definitely no where in the South. We laugh at everything, which is sometimes bad (lol). No, really we laugh at life. We laugh at ourselves.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver203 View Post
You can make generalizations regarding an area if the generalizations are correct. I actually find this sense of humor you claim you have to be quite odd.

I find a lot of the things you say and have said about other groups quite odd indeed. Not claiming a sense of humor? Nor did I.

Something posted days ago not to you per se you responded to ME.

Yes and I think New England is very odd indeed sorry that's a generalization but it's true imo just like you have yours. Very hypersensitive and neurotically serious for one thing.

The Stephen King part anyone would find amusing, you just take things too personal. In fact New Englanders have told me that themselves about their neck of the woods.

I recall several times in correspondence weeks ago you couldnt' get anything straight about the facts presented by an unbiased report. Seems you've got a problem reading the title of this thread as well. IT'S ABOUT SENSEs OF HUMOR!!

Can you get that straight at least?? Don't take it personal, nothing was directed at you. I have no idea where you live. Oh I see the big CT. You are taking yourself to seriously.

Well the next time I see you making a prejudiced opinion I'll call you on it even some of your ethnic slurs I've seen. But no I really have nothing against you and I can't blame you for wanting to set what you feel is straight about where you live. We all do, but I don't think you've ever been unreasonable.

Last edited by StuyTownRefugee; 12-17-2007 at 01:12 PM..

Old 12-17-2007, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I'm female, and married. LOL, it's been a long time since a young man asked me if I was married! You made my day...

I always found you write quite well or rather express ideas or introduce alternatives quite well. So I was interested in your book.

Well......no last July isn't so long ago but it sounded ancient before already in the bargain bins, but publishing does move fast.

I waited eons for Da Vinci's thing to come to paperback and by that time the movie was out. Too bad you couldn't pull something like that off.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:05 PM

333 posts, read 462,796 times
Quote:
I find a lot of the things you say and have said about other groups quite odd indeed. Not claiming a sense of humor? Nor did I.

Something posted days ago not to you per se you responded to ME.

Yes and I think New England is very odd indeed sorry that's a generalization but it's true imo just like you have yours. Very hypersensitive and neurotically serious for one thing.

The Stephen King part anyone would find amusing, you just take things too personal. In fact New Englanders have told me that themselves about their neck of the woods.

I recall several times in correspondence weeks ago you couldnt' get anything straight about the facts presented by an unbiased report. Seems you've got a problem reading the title of this thread as well. IT'S ABOUT SENSEs OF HUMOR!!

Can you get that straight at least?? Don't take it personal, nothing was directed at you. I have no idea where you live. Oh I see the big CT. You are taking yourself to seriously.

Well the next time I see you making a prejudiced opinion I'll call you on it even some of your ethnic slurs I've seen. But no I really have nothing against you and I can't blame you for wanting to set what you feel is straight about where you live. We all do, but I don't think you've ever been unreasonable.
It's very odd how you're getting so personal ... I am discussing this thread, and this thread only. Why you feel the need to bring prior posts from a different thread to light, I don't know. Maybe to help fuel that odd "sense of humor" you speak of.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:00 PM

Quote:
LOL, I get the joke. You're from DC, after all, people around here find subtle irony funny (not me, to be honest, but I "get" it). Don't be surprised if other people don't find this funny at all, and DON'T get that you just made a joke. They will try to explain to you that the people of Maine simply have good manners.

Oh come on now, DC/Balto/Phila more MidAtlantic tend to know what "bustin' chops is" or "Breaking it" is but that sense of humor begins to wane above NY where evidently into NE the sense of humor changes.

You won't find that what you're refering to just in DC but Balto and Phila as well. Such talk does become more insulting going further north they I've noticed don't go in for it but are very sensitive. New Yorkers too, I don't think they do joke around in NE in the same way and seems more harsh when and if they do in New England.
But you're right DC, VA, MD, PA have a different sense of humor than further into the Northeast and New England above New York. Much more severe, I suppose it's the harsh winters. New Yorkers tend to me different than Phila, and MidAtlantic and New Jersey.

That's why Philly is a lot of fun. You don't agree but that's Mid Atlantic culture. As you say Califo has its own too but very dry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.